Track car setup.

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dave_1987

Track car setup.

Post by Dave_1987 »

Hi. I have recently bough my first Mr2. Its a rev5 3s ge. I bought it cheap to use a track car. Since buying it i have done trackdays at Croft, Oulton and im back at Croft on good friday. I have been very impressed with its capabilities and reliability after being told they dont handle and spin out very easily. It has Tein coilovers all round with the adjustable front top mounts and Toyo R888s and a few other modifications. I was wondering if anyone could help with some specs for toe, caster and camber. I have always built fwd drive cars for track use but with the Mr2 being mid engined it will behave differently when cornering. If anyone could help me with what works best and advice for setting it up or any other tips i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance Dave.
2barGee

Re: Track car setup.

Post by 2barGee »

i'll find a picture of my current set up mate which i find nice on track.

I love the fact that people say they don't handle very well
:lol:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Here you go mate

Last edited by 2barGee on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

That says it's for a scooby?
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Thanks for the reply. It does say its for a scooby ?. Yeah i was pleasantly suprized after reading about people saying they were a handfull to drive and have a bad reputation for spinning out and once they start to go you cant catch it. I found it handled well and was very managable when it let go.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

monkeyra wrote:That says it's for a scooby?

Well spotted, i had my impreza set up at the same place :oops:

Correct one now added :D
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Thanks. Thats very similar to what iv set mine to. Now i have seen yours i know im somewhere near. People seem to run 3+ degrees of camber on the front which i was unsure if it was a bit overkill. Mid engined cars dont usually have lots of front camber.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Dave_1987 wrote:Thanks. Thats very similar to what iv set mine to. Now i have seen yours i know im somewhere near. People seem to run 3+ degrees of camber on the front which i was unsure if it was a bit overkill. Mid engined cars dont usually have lots of front camber.

Yeah that much camber would kill tyres off on the road pretty quickly. I guess you could try it if it's just a track car and see how it feels.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Am I reading that right, 42 minutes total toe in at the rear? Seems quite high?
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I've been running around -2 on the front. But it looks like I should've checked clearances as the sidewall was coming into contact with my coilovers :eye:

Ordered some 5mm hubcentric spacers and extended studs :mrgreen:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yeah, I'm at about -2deg all round on mine. For a little while I had ~1.5 degrees more camber at the front than the back (mistake when putting the car back together after having the rear subframe off), and I really didn't like it, shifted the balance of the car massively to oversteer and not a in a good way!

Race Idiot - spacers might not be necessary, sometimes you can obtain the clearance required by adding a little bit of positive camber at the hub (most coilovers have a bit of adjustment via slotted holes where it mounts to the hub), and compensating by adding more negative camber at the top mount. Obviously depends on widths and offsets of the front wheel etc.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Gazza_DJ wrote:

Am I reading that right, 42 minutes total toe in at the rear? Seems quite high?

Yeah mate that's correct. Helps when braking. The place that set it up are a race team essentially. Awesome place but really expensive :pale:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Gee Man wrote:
Yeah mate that's correct. Helps when braking. The place that set it up are a race team essentially. Awesome place but really expensive :pale:

Fair enough! :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Yeah, I'm at about -2deg all round on mine. For a little while I had ~1.5 degrees more camber at the front than the back (mistake when putting the car back together after having the rear subframe off), and I really didn't like it, shifted the balance of the car massively to oversteer and not a in a good way!

Race Idiot - spacers might not be necessary, sometimes you can obtain the clearance required by adding a little bit of positive camber at the hub (most coilovers have a bit of adjustment via slotted holes where it mounts to the hub), and compensating by adding more negative camber at the top mount. Obviously depends on widths and offsets of the front wheel etc.

My coilovers didn't come with topmounts and re-used my trd ones. So all adjustment was done from those slotted holes! If this doesn't work out maybe I'll end up getting some adjustable ones.
Dave_1987

Post by Dave_1987 »

Thanks for the replies. Very helpfull. Its best using tried a tested settings rather than guessing and getting it wrong.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”