www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Motul 5w40 Oil on track (N/A)

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Motorsport and Trackdays
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HughesR1

Feedback Score: 8

1998 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Motul 5w40 Oil on track (N/A) Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I'm in the process of ordering service items for my Rev5 NA when I remembered I have about 7 Litres of Motul 8100 X-CESS 5w40 Fully Synthetic left over from my Integra.

I know this oil worked very well for road and track with my Honda engine but was not sure if the 5w40 would be ok with my MR2 on track? The engine is basically stock other than exhaust/induction, is it worth just ordering a 10w40 or 10w50 or can I get away with using the MOTUL? What do other NA owners use?

Cheers! [thumleft]
SonicSW20
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 12

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Not had an issue with Mobil Super 3000 5w40 fully synth on track on mine. I'm only doing track days though, 20 mins sessions inc warm up and cooldown laps max, and I don't have oil pressure or temperature gauges.

Still, 60k miles later it's just ticked over 150k miles so it doesn't seem to mind it!
MilesH

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

10w 40 Fully synth is the tried and tested on track in both track and race conditions.
SonicSW20
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 12

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

5w40 vs 10w40 isn't going to make any difference on track though as it's multigrade, and the hot viscosity is the same [thumleft]
HughesR1

Feedback Score: 8

1998 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

MilesH wrote:
10w 40 Fully synth is the tried and tested on track in both track and race conditions.

This is why I looked into changing to a 10w40 in the first place as I know its ideal for track work...

Gazza_DJ wrote:
5w40 vs 10w40 isn't going to make any difference on track though as it's multigrade, and the hot viscosity is the same [thumleft]

But what Gazza states is why I'm thinking of just trying the 5w40 I already have rather than wasting it. In theory the 10w40 should be better as the the viscosity difference is narrower so it should be less prone to shearing than the 5w40. But for my application of road and trackdays I don't think it will make much difference, especially as the Motul oil is fairly good quality and works so well in the high revving Hondas on track. Hopefully it will be fine in my not so highly strung 3SGE! [Think]
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Motorsport and Trackdays All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: