Modified MK3 mr2

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2carol

Modified MK3 mr2

Post by mr2carol »

I was wondering how many modified MK3 Mr2's are around and to what specfication they were built to. I never seem to see them come up for sale.

Are there any owners of the original silverstone performance TTE kits using this forum? Modifying the MK3 seems very difficult without spending thousands which is a disappointment for such a capable chassis.

I dont regret my MK3 purchase at all but its a shame there arent more options and bigger following for the car. :(
It seems there just isnt the appetite for tuning this car which pushes prices sky high.
Last edited by mr2carol on Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sable MK3 MR2 Roadster!
TTE exhaust.
Yokohama AD08R tyres.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Re: Modified MK3 mr2

Post by Jaspa »

Bob across to http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/index.php

You'll find good knowledge on options like turboing or engine swaps like the 2zz, K20 or a couple of V6 options.

Mine is standard engine wise apart from decat, TTE Exaust and air filter. I keep getting a hankering for an engine swap but so far my other project is sucking my £££.

HTH

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
oddshoes

Post by oddshoes »

there is ways, I have a lightly modified mk3 as my daily, my missus had a turbo charged (sp240) mk3 and i am getting an MR-s (Japanese version of the roadster) which was modified out there as my new project next week

Dave
mr2carol

Post by mr2carol »

I can see a few modded ones on ROC. The turbo is out of my reach so besides a 2ZZ conversion I cant see what I can do to provide any meaningful increases.

Ive already got a TTE exhaust and a Unichip remap doesnt seem worth it.
Sable MK3 MR2 Roadster!
TTE exhaust.
Yokohama AD08R tyres.
MilesH

Post by MilesH »

mr2carol wrote:I can see a few modded ones on ROC. The turbo is out of my reach so besides a 2ZZ conversion I cant see what I can do to provide any meaningful increases.

Yep, that's about it. Limited bhp increases to the 1zz (150-160 really), exhuast, ecu, cams etc. But otherwise best is either bolt on a turbo or go 2zz (180-190bhp).

What bhp are you after?
mr2carol

Post by mr2carol »

MilesH wrote:
mr2carol wrote:I can see a few modded ones on ROC. The turbo is out of my reach so besides a 2ZZ conversion I cant see what I can do to provide any meaningful increases.

Yep, that's about it. Limited bhp increases to the 1zz (150-160 really), exhuast, ecu, cams etc. But otherwise best is either bolt on a turbo or go 2zz (180-190bhp).

What bhp are you after?

Id love about 180-190bhp to really exploit the chassis. A 2ZZ conversion is a bit out of my reach at the moment but perhaps something for the future. The biggest issue would be sourcing the donor engine/gearbox.
Sable MK3 MR2 Roadster!
TTE exhaust.
Yokohama AD08R tyres.
oddshoes

Post by oddshoes »

Well my other half's turbo kit for her old roadster is for sale on ebay if thats of any interest and should see you to that bhp level as it made 192bhp at surrey rolling road on 2zz injectors. With 440 injections its ment to see you to 240bhp and 240 ftlb
mr2carol

Post by mr2carol »

oddshoes wrote:Well my other half's turbo kit for her old roadster is for sale on ebay if thats of any interest and should see you to that bhp level as it made 192bhp at surrey rolling road on 2zz injectors. With 440 injections its ment to see you to 240bhp and 240 ftlb

what sort of figure £££ you thinking?
Sable MK3 MR2 Roadster!
TTE exhaust.
Yokohama AD08R tyres.
oddshoes

Post by oddshoes »

This is kit which I personally removed it from the car too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1ZZ-Turbo-kit ... Sw6WdXimUA

Its an SP240 kit but with 2zz injectors rather than the 440 which it oringal was built for. I know that she is wanting £2500 cash
mr2carol

Post by mr2carol »

Bit out of my range. Would probably need mapping aswell plus the fitting. Just too much for me right now.
Sable MK3 MR2 Roadster!
TTE exhaust.
Yokohama AD08R tyres.
Jvanzyl

Post by Jvanzyl »

Have you considered the MAF mod?
I have that for sale if you want to try it?
mr2carol

Post by mr2carol »

Jvanzyl wrote:Have you considered the MAF mod?
I have that for sale if you want to try it?

Just trying to read up on it. How much do you think it increases the performance on a standard car?
Sable MK3 MR2 Roadster!
TTE exhaust.
Yokohama AD08R tyres.
Jvanzyl

Post by Jvanzyl »

I can't paste the URL as I've not made enough posts - but have a look on SpyderChat by googing spyder chat and "maf mod".
tons of feedback on there.

From my own personal experience it's about torque. I found myself not having to change gear as much, and simply put my foot down when I needed to. 0-60 was quicker (Butt dyno) - I didn't measure time difference though.

So I can't give you a number per se - but I can give you an experience which says that it definitely makes a difference and you don't have to rev it so high to get the power. You essentially get the torque that was available at 6000 rpm happening lower down.
mr2carol

Post by mr2carol »

Jvanzyl wrote:I can't paste the URL as I've not made enough posts - but have a look on SpyderChat by googing spyder chat and "maf mod".
tons of feedback on there.

From my own personal experience it's about torque. I found myself not having to change gear as much, and simply put my foot down when I needed to. 0-60 was quicker (Butt dyno) - I didn't measure time difference though.

So I can't give you a number per se - but I can give you an experience which says that it definitely makes a difference and you don't have to rev it so high to get the power. You essentially get the torque that was available at 6000 rpm happening lower down.

Sounds about right. Im a bit concerned about the mod in terms of knocking etc. Just discovered a cooling issue on her aswell so Im going to need to sort that asap :( before anything else.
Sable MK3 MR2 Roadster!
TTE exhaust.
Yokohama AD08R tyres.
Jvanzyl

Post by Jvanzyl »

Whats up with your cooling? Are you running out of coolant?

Bottom left corner of radiator is prone to a small leak - but a new one is quite cheap.

In terms of knocking you really havent got anything to worry about in the UK. You just use premium fuel (Vpower, momentum or BP equivalent) and it's everywhere so I honestly would not be concerned about it.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”