2016 RATE run to Applecross

Reports and Feedback from MR2 related events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

synXero

2016 RATE run to Applecross

Post by synXero »

Hello !

Late, late notice - didn't realise I hadn't posted this up on this forum...

This run is now into its third year. Last year we had an absolute blast, covering ~650miles of spirited, exciting driving — probably 10 miles of motorway at most in this.

We start day 1 from west Edinburgh, in a lovely waterside town called South Queensferry on Saturday 30th morning between 9 and 10am — we'll be having breakfast in there if you want to join. We leave 10am sharp, and reach Applecross in north-west Scotland by the early-ish evening via lunch in Tyndrum. En route we include some famously superb roads — the Dukes Pass, the Kinlochleven loop (otherwise known as our Nurburgring — the "Scotsburgring"), and of course the might Bealach na Ba: the Applecross Pass itself. We set up camp, then head down to the Applecross Inn for their famously good food — a few beers in the campsite etc., and a good laugh generally. Last year we all stumbled back up toward the campsite and were met on the path by a 10-strong herd of deer!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

On day 2, in the morning we get a cracking breakfast, and set off round the north peninsula of Applecross. This is quite possibly the most testing driving road in the UK, and the coastal west highland scenery is awe inspiring. We then head further north into the highlands, before eventually turning east and ultimately south. Lunch is usually in the north-east corner of the route in the 'major' city of Inverness. We head south down the east side of the Cairngorm mountains, avoiding the terrible A9 spinal road on the west of the mountains in favour of some much nicer looping fast twisties. We will be back in Edinburgh via Anstruther for some world famous fish and chips. Home by late evening.

The driving is generally spirited and quick. We will stop semi-regularly to make sure the group stays together, everyone knows where they are and where they're going, and that all the cars are running well. We are all there to have fun, and no dodgy dangerous driving will be tolerated or I will kick them out. With that said — it is definitely not a 'cruise', and you're facing 300+ miles per day with no motorway stretches. It's full concentration all the time and you will really learn your car!

A few key points —

Your brakes and tyres must be up to the task — a number of people have cooked their brakes on shorter runs with us and it is a) very dangerous, and b) ruins the rest of their drive as they have to be hyper-cautious afterwards. Tyres are especially important because on a 300-mile longitudinal journey through Scotland, the weather can change frequently and severely. That said, we have always been lucky and only had patches of rain. The west highlands actually typically get good weather.

I will give you a route map on the day — a paper print out or two to help you, a list of the planned stopping points, and a link to a digitally planned route for a sat nav.

We camp in Applecross — this means you really have to have a tent (although you could certainly get a room in the Inn) and I would strongly recommend you get a decent sleeping bag and a ground mat.

Spouses — some of the guys do bring their wives (one last year) but typically we go two-up as a pair of car enthusiasts in each car. Some of the less experienced highland-drivers share the driving with their passenger (I'm not kidding when I say it's an intense day both days).

Overheating — typically overheating is not an issue because even in July and August, Scotland is not too toasty for too long!! We've never had anyone overheat but always bring spare oil, coolant, etc. as you judge your car requires. A lot of us are spanner heads anyway.

If anyone has any questions or is interested, just let me know here! It would be great to have you.

Final reminder - meet point is 9am-10am, the Rail Bistro, South Queensferry, this Saturday.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Re: 2016 RATE run to Applecross

Post by Tiamat »

Post up earlier next year and I will seek permission from SWMBO.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

yeah a tad late on the old notice haha!
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Any chance of a write up of what we missed?
synXero

Post by synXero »

Absolutely; working on it! I've got some photos to put up too.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

:pray: :whistle:
synXero

Post by synXero »

Oh b0ll0cks. Yes I'll get on it !!

Return to “Past Events”