the famous snap oversteer story's! Mr2 mk2!

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

caldridge7

the famous snap oversteer story's! Mr2 mk2!

Post by caldridge7 »

So as we all know about the old famous snap oversteer for our mr2 mk2, my car has a habit when going a tad fast loves to snap where ever it likes if I overtake,

Also going around a round about and thinking let's get the back end out doing 40, seeing my back end over taking me really showed me how fast I could move my arms and turn me in to a Christian praying to Lord that I would 360 the car,

Good news after much counter steering back and forth I still have my mk2.

What about you guys, what's your experience with this.

I would like to add all my tyres are the same all around which I have heard staggered wheels is a must for these cars, wish the person before me knew this.
pistol pete

Re: the famous snap oversteer story's! Mr2 mk2!

Post by pistol pete »

I tracked mine.. and pushed it hard ALL the time wet and dry...

never really had any issues..

recommend a full alignment.. it can make a huge difference :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Snap oversteer only applied to the rev1s 👍🏾. Never had a problem with it.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Only thing that causes snap oversteer is the driver.

The Peugeot 205 is worse for it, and that's FF!

There's a lot to be said for a good geo setup as Pete says. You can dial out pretty much all of the 'snappy-ness' with geo settings.

Even when you get it wrong, they can be controllable, allow me to demonstrate with my little mishap at Snetterton -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfti91z ... =SonicSW20

Brake fluid boiled at the end of the long straight, and found I had bu88er all brakes left when approaching the right hander :lol: so was going a fair bit quicker than the tyres would allow into that right hander. All good fun at Snetterton, there's loads of run off so if you get it really wrong the worst that will happen is a bollocking from Mr Palmer for exceeding track limits and ruining his grass :lol:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Ryan S wrote:Snap oversteer only applied to the rev1s 👍🏾. Never had a problem with it.

Yep i can attest to that .. mine got me in a straight line .. just be careful coming off throttle when the car is unbalanced it can be like you've pulled the handbrake ... stay safe mate :thumleft:
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Gazza your car sounds EPIC! :shock:

What exhaust?! =P~
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

CalMac wrote:Gazza your car sounds EPIC! :shock:

What exhaust?! =P~

Thanks!

It's a Fujitsubo legalis R with a modified B pipe to fit an NA. There's a few more vids on the channel :thumleft:

I will miss it when it gets a 3SGTE in there. Almost enough to make me not want to convert...
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

It's just an MR car. If you boot it clumsily and it looses traction at the rear with any lock on, be ready to go backwards unless you spend a lot of time learning the speed you have to react to it.
Similarly if you lose it under braking and the back end goes round the front (i do this a lot on tracks), it's the drivers fault, not the cars.

They are pretty sensitive to tracking and tyre choice, so spend wisely :)

It's not so much 'snap oversteer' as it is 'respect the MR layout'.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Makes me want an NA again just so I can track down a Fujistsubo =P~

The MR2 just needs to be learned - it can't be driven like other drive/layout cars. It feels very special to drive - the whole car seems to rotate on a central axis and generally the smoother and swoopier the line (as with most cars), the more it seems to reward you. I'm also discovering that constantly swapping between cars and only driving the MR2 on the odd occasion can really mess with progress in learning #-o

Always figured that once the MR2 has been properly mastered it'll just continue to improve. I doubt I'll ever achieve the full potential of mine!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

The MK2 (and the others to an extent) are tricky, but if you can master it, I say you can drive anything quickly. The key is to get the right amount of opposite lock on at the right time. Also learning to modulate the throttle and lift slightly without upsettting the balance is key, or to hold it but be mindful that the throttle is not a switch, is key really. Turbos are a little harder due to the lag, so you tend to have to pump the throttle a little.

As Pete rightly points out an alignment can seriously help with the feel of the car and also how it reacts.

If you get into a tank slapper, you've failed really as this is a result of putting too much opposite lock on too late and causing the car to go the other way.

The MR2 can be held in a drift if you have the skill, but it is not easy. The window of opportunity to recover it, is far less than you get in an FR car. The best way forward if you're struggling is to get some tuition on track really. It's all a lot easier to handle on the road then as you are going more slowly.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

I went out for a passenger ride in a mate's golf mk5 r32 last weekend. Quite a quick car, but much, much more forgiving as it's 4wd.
He was stamping on the throttle as soon as he'd put lock on and the 4wd was just sorting it out for him - i was surprised it's safe/reasonable to stamp on the throttle like that. In an mr2 you do things smoothly or they will spit you out.

Not sure how different the two cars (my v6 versus his r32) would be on a track (I secretly think mine is a bit faster), but the way they can be driven is MILES apart.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

gavsdavs wrote:I went out for a passenger ride in a mate's golf mk5 r32 last weekend. Quite a quick car, but much, much more forgiving as it's 4wd.
He was stamping on the throttle as soon as he'd put lock on and the 4wd was just sorting it out for him - i was surprised it's safe/reasonable to stamp on the throttle like that. In an mr2 you do things smoothly or they will spit you out.

Not sure how different the two cars (my v6 versus his r32) would be on a track (I secretly think mine is a bit faster), but the way they can be driven is MILES apart.

Yeah but where is the excitement in letting the car do it all
JD

Post by JD »

I got into a rayt tank slapper at Snetterton when my steering column came loose on exiting a hairpin. I recovered it though. I don't think I'd have managed that in the 2.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

My NS front ball joint decided to come undone while I was driving to work one morning. That was tricky, even at 20mph :lol: Bit scary though as I'd been tearing up twisty B-roads the evening before with no sign of any issues :shock:
benjo

Post by benjo »

Ref Fujistsubo exhaust I bought one brand new from rhd Japan they put value
At £100 for import duty :thumleft:
Too weird to live, to rare to die
Draven

Post by Draven »

CalMac wrote:My NS front ball joint decided to come undone while I was driving to work one morning. That was tricky, even at 20mph :lol: Bit scary though as I'd been tearing up twisty B-roads the evening before with no sign of any issues :shock:

Woah was there no split pin in place?? :shock:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I've seen pattern ones with no provision for a split pin / no castle nut...
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Nope, it had the castle nut and split pin when I'd checked about a week prior to the 'mishap'. Took it to a tyre place to get alignment done, they said I needed a NS track rod end and replaced it the same afternoon.

Couple of days later the ball joint popped out of the LCA :lol:

Thing is, there's no reason they would have to touch the ball joint just to change a track rod end. Maybe the split pin was rusty and disintegrated over a bump. I thought for a few days it may have been a result of somebody tampering with the car, but upon reflection the front is way too low to get a hand underneath - let alone a socket or pliers!
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Winter is coming, no doubt there will be a couple more bent and buckled MR2 stories soon. :lol:
Draven

Post by Draven »

DAN_REV1_TURBO wrote:Winter is coming, no doubt there will be a couple more bent and buckled MR2 stories soon. :lol:

That is a positive way of looking at it..

Return to “Driving Experiences”