Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

androo007

Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Post by androo007 »

Thought it about time that I start jotting down all the progress and things I've done so far to the '2..... So where better to do it?

I briefly owned a white rev3 turbo with full veilside kit (the one parker broke recently) - I bought it as anon starter (battery drain issue) for £400 and after spending a lot of time on it I got it up and running to find out that it had ringland failure and I sold it in a rush for £700. If ONLY I knew back then what these cars are worth.... it had a MASS of mods on and I sold it for pennies. Oh well, never mind.

After having that I knew that I had to have another '2 as a second car and so when this one came up, being standard, dry stored and low mileage I had to have it - up to the north of wales I went and brought back the same day.

1994 MR2, Rev 3 Turbo.

Here's when I picked her up. 79k and COMPLETELY standard. Previous owner a member on here (don't know username) but owned for circa 8 years and dry stored throughout ownership.

Picture the day I got the car:

<image of me looking like a knob> not enjoyed driving a car as much since I had my 350z

First on the list a major service of full fluids including brake and radiator..... Funny how BROWN it goes so quickly!

Before...

Nice and clean....

Then in November up to Pacific works for a full underseal. Nick done an excellent job - whole underside brushed back and fully sealed to prevent future rust. I'm still trying to get the pictures off Luke with it up in the air, will and here when done!

Also had the following.....

Intercooler Supply & Fit custom pipework
Valve clearence & adjustment
New Cambelt & Alternator kit & Fitment.

In the meantime, I got a mass load of Dynax S50 and set work to checking out the inner sill and getting this everywhere inside.... inner sill, boot liners, rear arches - everywhere that is prone to corrosion. Looking around for a long time S5 gets cracking reviews and is widely used on the car and marine scenery like. Sprays on lovely, dries in a semi flexible coating and ensured that my rust-free baby stays that way for as long as possible :thumleft:

Next on went a BERK decat and Legaris R to free up some horses, and also an ARC induction box with a new HKS panel filter from an RX7 which is a PERFECT fit.

Legaris R too quiet, so off it went and what I believe to be a rare TRUST dual-can JASMA exhaust went on (Ironically both the ARC and Exhaust came from the very car I sold over a year earlier.... and I paid almost half the selling price just for the 2!) Nice sounding exhaust, no drone and pretty quiet. Looks OEM+ which is what I love. Here's a libarary image...

Whilst at Pacific works I also had my Gizzmo EBC fitted. Cracking kit, simple to install and sits nicely in the car. I had it positioned under the CD player but actually I've seen it sat in the clock space which looks awesome! and replaced both topmounts

I fancied a change a while later so now have the Greddy Profec Spec B II installed:

Last edited by androo007 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 24 times in total.
androo007

Re: Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Post by androo007 »

After being tucked up for the winter i spent months chasing Luke at Pacific Works for a build.... having the money ready to throw at him everything was vague.....he didnt want to take on the work due to a move....and wanted teh car for 2 months..... anyway after 4 month i decided to give Peter at SBITS a call.

Within 16 hours i had a complete quote, full explanation, total confidence in him and booked in for a FORGED BUILD!

Wesico low comp pistons and (TBC) forged rods along with a whole host of other yummy things.

4 week turnaround, super.

Can honestly say so far Peter has been the BEST person to ever deal with ... especially when you're talking about a fair wedge of cash.

Details of the build are as follows... (courtesy of Pete)

Wossner low compression pistons/rings
Eagle forged rods w/arp rodbolts
ARP headbolts
ACL main, big end and thrust bearings
Toyota gasket /oil seal / o ring set
Toyota oil pump
Toyota water pump
Toyota/Gates cam belt and auxiliary belt/s
Toyota "hose from hell" and "hose from hell's brother"
NGK spark plugs
255lph uprated fuel pump

New Toyota oil filter, engine oil, gearbox oil and Toyota red coolant.

Work:

Remove engine/gearbox assembly.
Strip engine.
Block bored/honed and deck surface ground
Block oil gallery plugs removed and hot dipped in solvent tank for 24 hours (machine shop). Two coats of engine paint applied.
Crank journals checked and polished. NEVER reground. Crank checked for straightness and corrected if necessary (machine shop).
Cylinder head surface ground (machine shop).

Put back together and hey presto.

CANT WAIT!
Last edited by androo007 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Your in good hands with that build :thumleft:

what are your plans for the engine power wise or is it just a rebuild with a little room for the future?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

yeah absolutely thrilled with Peters attention to detail and responsiveness.

Putting rods in hopefully to give power for the future.... but a the moment its just to optimise useing the '20b :)
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Some other bits I forgot I even had....now might be a good time to get them in!

A now rare BRAND NEW omori 42mm gauge that sits perfectly in the stock boost gauge location - not sure if I want to put this in or sell yet:

Full ball joint refresh and uprated bushes all around - front arb ones already installed:

And a rev 5 spoiler to be painted:

Image[/img]
Last edited by androo007 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Well, all the above sold......

Seems that whilst the car is in bits i should really get the 4th gear synchro done.

Then I may aswell go for the rods....

so.....I may as well get the fuel pump updated at the same time :D

Gonna have to raid the credit card I think, but see it as an investment.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Just a small update today, went for a newer steering wheel. Didn't like the idea of going aftermarket so decided to go for a mk3 unit.

Old tired wheel:

Super quick swap over, ahhhhh much better! Modern, plump and feels much better. Goes with my love of 'OEM+'

Ordered eagle rods and ARP headbolts yesterday so should be delivered just in time.
Last edited by androo007 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sky-net

Post by sky-net »

I'll be watching your thread with interest :thumleft:

Good luck and enjoy!
androo007

Post by androo007 »

So up at 5am yesterday for the 4 hour trip to Peter at SBits, saw some familiar cars there (Craig, dan1turbo etc)

Super excited now!

I decided that to eliminate ant risk of having a weaker block we are going to go ahead and build using a REV2 block, but keep all my rev 3 head up gear. This just means that although only a portion of the Rev 3 blocks are weaker than others, I can eliminate that risk and feel happier in myself.

Then after a bloody long train journey back Pete sent a sneaky preview of some goodies that turned up after I left.....

Eagle rods and ARP headbolts

Wossner low compression (8.0:1) 86.5mm pistons. Super pleased they are 8.0:1 as this helps reduce chances of detonation further and gives better safeguards for the future.
Last edited by androo007 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

So whilst the engine is out I stumbled across an ATS TD06 kit from Calmac here.

Externally waste gated with a screamer pipe :twisted: should be good for around 350hp, was hoping for more but we'll see.

Along with this some bluetop SARD 800cc side feed injectors that go straight in the OEM rail.

androo007

Post by androo007 »

More goodies today, an ACT clutch rated for 499 ft/lb torque..... should be enough for future upgrades

Last edited by androo007 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

starting to ramp up things now for 500bhp potential later on....

an unexpected buy... have to scrape back some cash somewhere...!

Radtech Chargecooler - known to cool upwards of 600hp. Good stuff!

Last edited by androo007 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Sorry- you're gonna struggle to make 500hp safely on a radtech core, they seem to start bottlenecking at ~400hp....if someone pushed 600hp through one, with a better core they'd probably be making 800hp!
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Is that true Ashley? Oh wow i thought they flowed way over 500 with ease?!! Am i right in thinking you had one in the boot? Did you see a bottleneck at 400? Booted the very last of my cash on it so hope thats not true :(

465hp here: http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-c ... turbo.html

Saying that, i really dont think i'll ever get to 500. If i get to 450 and have headroom then i am MORE than happy. Heck, i'll have to get used to 350 first!
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

With that turbo I'm thinking 370bhp fly. You need a step up in turbo imo.

Plus that MR2 in your link had cams in.

I'm 'hoping' for 400bhp fly with my build but you never can tell. So many factors. For reference heres mine. Will hopefully get to a rolling road in a few weeks.
Apart from the usual 3 inch downpipe intake etc.

Wosser pistons low compression
Standard conrods, cams and manifold
GT 3076r 63AR
Phoenix Power SMIC
Aquamist HFS3 WI controlled by ECU
Link G4
AVC-R

I got 319 at the wheels, before Fensport and my WI at 1.4bar

Now is just speculation but hoping for 360 at the wheels.

You're going to have to run A LOT of boost to get to your 500bhp target even 400bhp will see 1.8bar. My final boost is 1.5/1.6 bar and it's silly quick...
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Yeah sorry maybe I wasn't clear, on this turbo I'd be happy with 350hp. I suspect in the future I'll upgrade to a gt30xxx or something to get more oomph.

319 has to be near as 400hp at fly....

The link was more to show that the charge cooler can actually support 450hp setups.

Sounds like you have a great setup there. Always appreciate input you guys give.... always learning!

For reference Julian got 352 at the hubs with this setup and tbh that's spot on with your estimates :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Yes- people have run 500hp on the radtech core, I'm not disputing that...never heard of much over that.

BUT....the point is that was with the core restricting flow, I can't remember the exact build- but there was a two running just over 500 on one, but on paper the setup should have been making at least another 50hp, annnnnd it was running stoopid boost to hit 500, it should have been making 500 at much lower pressure.

So yes- it can be done, but you'll be robbing yourself of flow- and working your turbo harder than you need to...but for sub 400- it's a great set up :thumleft: :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Gotcha, thanks Ashley
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

androo007 wrote:Gotcha, thanks Ashley

On my old rev5 I used to run a ATS TD06 kit, sard injectors with piper 264in/ex cams, link xlem ecu, forged wossners pistons and radtec cc and had 356ATW on Thors hub dyno.

But was advised that the radtec was a serious restriction when trying trying to push for more with a gt3582r.

On that set up with 1000cc injectors I was advised to go for boot mount and that flowed much better and Adrian said it was pushing 500-550 bum dyno.

Hth :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

thanks Julian, thats interesting. I'd have thought the td06 would achieve that even without cams, but thats a great number.

So am i right in saying that the restriction was noted when you were at 500hp? Just trying to understand at what limit exactly the radtech becomes a restriction - Ashley suggests 400 but you got that witht eh td06.

PS..... was it good? I have your old kit :D

Return to “Member Profiles”