JLW's ( REV 3 GT spec Turbo, smg Tbar ) YVS Performance Built

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JLW

JLW's ( REV 3 GT spec Turbo, smg Tbar ) YVS Performance Built

Post by JLW »

Hi Guys

Thought I'd start my own build thread, taking off from its recent purchase.

I had been hunting for the best rev3+ Tbar turbo I could find for at least 3-4 months,
when Ross's came up for sale on here. Immediately I could see that this was a genuine,
well kept car with a good amount of "right decision" modifications to keep the budget down
when it came to me taking the helm of the project.

After speaking to Ross on a saturday morning over the phone we decided to keep in
touch to allow the DVLA to pull their finger out about the private plate retention.

After 2 weeks of me bothering Ross with every question under the sun, and requesting pics of everything,
he informed me that the log book had come through.

Now the mission, I live in the south east, Ross lives in north scotland !
managed to get an easy jet flight up for £25 and after a couple of hours bought the car.
The drive back was great for the first 6 hours, then I proceeded to hallucinate and make mistakes on the m40
because I was so tired !! had to stop to splash water on my boat race to wake myself up.
But an extra 3 hours later and I was home.

Here is the link to Ross's build thread to lead us up to where we are now.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=186472

I purchased the car without the Work Equpis and subsequently wheels will be the first thing i go for. :D

Image[/URL] :D
Last edited by JLW on Tue May 29, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 9 times in total.
shane34
Premium Member

Re: JLW's ( REV 3 GT spec Turbo, smg Tbar ) YVS Performance Built

Post by shane34 »

definatly worth the effort.

What wheel do you have in mind?
pkmr2

Post by pkmr2 »

Beautiful car you have there where abouts in the southeast are you based I'm in the North Kent area maybe see you at a show or on a run :thumleft:

Pete
JLW

Post by JLW »

Easy Shane,

Im thinking of going Rota Torque 17x8 et35 front.
And Rota Torque drift 17x9 et35 ( with a 5mm spacer rear )
The rear arches have been rolled professionally and sealed, so
Most of well take advantage of the extra space.

And Pete I'm in Tunbridge wells pal, be good to hook
Up with some other Mr2 guys, I'm new to this scene, like
3 days new :) lol
ashley

Post by ashley »

looks nice!

:thumleft:
pkmr2

Post by pkmr2 »

JLW wrote:Easy Shane,

Im thinking of going Rota Torque 17x8 et35 front.
And Rota Torque drift 17x9 et35 ( with a 5mm spacer rear )
The rear arches have been rolled professionally and sealed, so
Most of well take advantage of the extra space.

And Pete I'm in Tunbridge wells pal, be good to hook
Up with some other Mr2 guys, I'm new to this scene, like
3 days new :) lol

Get yourself a JAE ticket and a tent and come and meet the gang :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Welcome to MR2 ownership mate. Nice buy :thumleft:
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Solid car JLW maybe see you around I'm in Maidstone but missus works in T.Wells.
Cheers, Dan
JLW

Post by JLW »

pkmr2 wrote:Get yourself a JAE ticket and a tent and come and meet the gang :thumleft:

Id Love to Pete mate, but Im Fighting on the 13th, and will need to rest the few days leading up to it.

And Yes Dan be good to meet up with some local MR2 guys in the Area, gimme a PM next time your around T Wells :D
pkmr2

Post by pkmr2 »

Tony over on the OC holds an early morning Kent Run it's a great drive.
I'll be there on the 23/08/15 :thumleft:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/47/163764.html
JLW

Post by JLW »

So my first bit of changing the car has begun, first of all had to be the mats.
The Man in Dansim mats that were in the car were cool, I understand that they are retro cool, but they make the interior look the age it really is, but more importantly they slid about all over the place and constantly crept under the Pedal's !

Noticed that Scott Barton was selling decent plush mats,
( http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight= )
branded with the IMOC logo, took him up on the offer and also the top guy he is managed to get a set of retaining toggles sent FOC.

Its improved the interior no end and am very happy with the quality, plus not constantly having to lean down and move the mat back into place !

Then came something I had to do as soon as I could, painting the callipers decently, they were painted red, but only on the calliper and not the torque plates, also the paint had started to fade and I wanted a freshen up. I decided on the colour I was going for to flow with the theme for the motor.
the car as I'm sure you all have the same issue of is low ! , therefore I had to jack up one sill, to fit the 3 tonne trolley underneath it to the centre point, the same for the rear was done and it was on 4 axle stands, wheels off.

I thought this was an ideal time to clean the inside arches and used "Rhino goo" a product I use to clean the motocross bike, left it to eat all the crap and washed each arch / shock leg off and left to dry overnight, ready to work on the morning.

So Saturday morning I began the strip down, I'm the sort of person who believes if your going to the bother of taking stuff off, you most of well clean and service it all as best as you can whilst your there. So i took every component off during the service / and brushed off all brakes dust / grime and cleaned thoroughly with brake cleaner.

This was when I also made a colossal fail, whilst cleaning the Callipers I wanted to check that all the pistons were moving freely, once I checked that the driver front was fine I then proceeded to move the passenger front, completely forgetting that I had left the calliper without pads on the previous and pumped the brakes, the piston on the drivers front popped out and pi$$ed brake fluid everywhere over the floor #-o , after a world class assault of swearing at the top of my voice and kicking the crap out of all the local neighbours bins I decided to jut continue and use it as a reason to bleed the brakes fully with new fluid !
All 4 brakes were now clean and prepped ready for paint,

First coat went on, I made sure I painted everything properly, even stuff you cannot see unless its all disconnected. by this time I was painting in the rain :roll: but nether the less got it done. ( these pics are from the following day after I replaced all the pads with copper slip etc )

Then I bled all the brakes using DOT 4 ATE Super Blue making sure there was no air in the system.
But finally the Finishing touch, I think its looks great and isn't too much.

:D
Last edited by JLW on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JLW

Post by JLW »

So i have been busy lately with the wheels, I ordered a set of Rota Torque's + Rota Torque Drifts, I went with 8J et 35 on the front and 9j et35 on the rear with a 5mm spacer to achieve et30.

Also with the order I received a new set of blue anodised open long wheel bolts to set off the Gunmetal colour of the wheels. After doing a bit of research on tyres I decided to go for Yokohama Advan AD08r's, these came with amazing reviews online and they haven't disappointed !

Once the tyres were on and balanced, I got to work fitting them, it wasn't until I Torqued up the bolts that I realised how little thread was showing on the rear studs before they hit 113nm of Torque. So I thought it best to order a set of extended wheel studs for the rear and whilst I was at it replaced the fronts with new APC strengthened studs. didn't take long with the windy gun and now the wheel nuts have a lot more thread inside them.

Whilst the car was mid-air on axle stands I adjusted the suspension down around 10mm all round, the Meister R coilovers are pretty easy to play with, however it still took me around 3-4 hours to get bang on perfect considering they were all showing different heights prior to adjustment.

Also whilst playing with its appearance I managed to fit the Rev5 clear front lights that I bought from REDmr2 , fitted with new white 501 led bulbs it looks a ton better on the front end IMO.

Last edited by JLW on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
craig

Post by craig »

Car looks great fella! Rota wheels look the part on it.

Rev 5 lenses look better on your car, than stuck on a shelf in my cupboard! :mrgreen:
JLW

Post by JLW »

cheers buddy, yeah I'm really happy with the wheel choice.
at first i was thinking about going for the Grid's and Grid Drifts, but
I started to form the opinion that they take away from the curves of the MR2.

the cars currently at Abbey Motorsport as we speak after having a full Hunter Alignment and rolling road ( hub based dyno ) setup.

going to collect it at 6pm :D
WhisperingWasp

Post by WhisperingWasp »

Car looks great. Love the subtle dish on the rears.

Let me know if you're selling the ambers :thumleft:
JLW

Post by JLW »

possibly pal, I'm after a set of the UK solid side mouldings in good condition where I'm not going to have to install new bolts due to damage etc, you have a set ?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

JLW wrote:

Thats bitchin, you should be very proud :thumleft:

Edit , ps . same wheel offsets as me .. for the win mate 8)
JLW

Post by JLW »

2mad wrote:
Thats bitchin, you should be very proud :thumleft:

Edit , ps . same wheel offsets as me .. for the win mate 8)

Cheers mate, although I'm having quite a lot of rubbing issues, the cars not stupid low however, I have Arch Enemy coming over next week to roll the front arches and trim the liners, the rears have already been rolled.

Currently its rubbing a huge amount on the front lips and occasionally on the rear, although I think thats actually on the front lip of the rear bumper which is catching. I have had to set the coiler to 12 clicks from hard ( fully closed position ) and the ride is currently terrible, there is 33 clicks to get to fully soft. but I'm having to have it hard to stop destroying my tyres in the meantime.

did you have to do any archwork ?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

JLW wrote:

did you have to do any archwork ?

Yes mate i cut the rear arches and repainted them to stop corrosion .. the front 215/40/17 et 33 were ok but my inarches ... by that the plastic were petty non existent .

Great looking car mate =P~ looking forward to whats next :D
JLW

Post by JLW »

Cheers Buddy, I actually have a few updates to post up soon once they are all finished. its got a lot planned for it :D

Return to “Member Profiles”