Mattblack_ludes Toyota MR2 Rev2

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mattblack_lude

Mattblack_ludes Toyota MR2 Rev2

Post by mattblack_lude »

Hi everyone,

Well this project is now known as the BBP (bargain bucket project) as it would reasonably cheap, and the whole ethos of the build is going to be cost effectiveness.

OK, so let me get started.

Bought the car around 2 months ago after seeing it advertised on facebook, looking abit sorry for itself. These are the pictures i was greeted with...

So, with some pretty terrible pictures to go on, I trundled off to check it out. Untidy in areas, the sills were looking abit tired, and generally needed a tidy up. Seats were terrible, so that would need attention.
So after a good look around, monies were passed (£350 \:D/ \:D/ ) and off i went, to collect the next day.

A few days on and I started the nessesary work. First off, a good clean up, alloy wheel detail, seal up the exhaust where it was blowing due to a new cat being fitted, tetroseal the side skirts again (had been done in the past) and gave it a good going over. Already, with a few good hours, she was looking more respectable.

After a few days of considering my options with the wheels, i decided on a new colour. A couple of the wheels were ok, but others were bubbling up so they needed a refurb. It had locking wheel nuts on it but no key, so a trip to the garage was needed to remove them too. I chose to refurb the wheels without the centre caps, i just don't like them & feel they look better without.

Anyway, the first wheel went well (im now on wheel 3)...

So, the list of things done VS whats still to be done, are:

1. Deep clean
2. resprayed side skirts
3. re treated leather seats (pic to follow)
4. Fixed engine rattle (thought it was cambelt tensioner, turned out to be inlet mani sheild :D )
5. Fixed blowing exhaust, now blowing from flexi :evil:
6. fitted induction kit for many smiles
7. painted calipers with Hammerite silver to compliment newly refurbed wheels.

To do list:

1. finish spraying wheels
2. replace front shock absorber (purchased, not fitted)
3. investigate rear knocking (also suspected blown shock/top mount)
4. full alignment once suspension components replaced
5. look to buy new exhaust, something stainless.
6. REV3 rear light conversion if i win the lottery...
7. Just enjoy it

I must say, the most rewarding thing about finally buying a car ive always wanted (an MR2 has been on my car bucket list since i was 17) is the community feel you get when you see another one. So far ive had 3 different MR2's in this area wave, flash or follow me. Its lovely to be apart of that again, as the only other car i had that with was my old Honda Prelude. You don't get that in an 04 plate boxy mass produced vauxhall astra. I really like that about this.

Anyway, more pictures to follow on the improved interior & the wheels fitted to the car!

Cheers for now...
mattblack_lude

Re: Mattblack_ludes Toyota MR2 Rev2

Post by mattblack_lude »

So, here's a quick pic of the seat to compare it with the original picture of the seat. Both sides were about the same, but they now require another treatment (they look a whole lot better when initially done, this is 4 weeks of fading). After the next application, they'll be done. Not much i can do with the big ass rip, but that's the least of the worries currently.

And now onto the wheels. As mentioned, only these 2 done, now working on the other side. Im just spraying them with rattle cans, but ive sprayed 2 cars and 20 sets of wheels now, so im half OK at it now. Probably the best wheels ive done, just thanks to the lacquer finish being better than previously achieved. The picture makes them look alot darker than they are, my camera is terrible sometimes.

Would love to hear opinions, both good and bad. I can't decide whether i like the amber indicators, or whether to go clear?
ads

Post by ads »

Looking good.

Hi from another K reg bargain basement owner, also my previous car was a 'lude. Weird.

Mine was a JDM 4th gen, how about yours?
mattblack_lude

Post by mattblack_lude »

Cheers Pal :wink:

Ha, what are the chances. I had 2 preludes in total, 2.0 UK 4th gen, and then a 2.2 VTEC (UK car with JDM engine).
Were you on PreludeUK? I seem to think the username Ads is familier. I went under the same username (mattblack_lude). That was a couple years ago now.

Here's a quick lude pic for old times sake:

UK 2.0 4th gen

2.2 VTEC

Still my most memorable car was the VTEC. Absolute animal, would buy another in a heartbeat. Although styling wise, i've grown up a little. Wheel choices were not my strongest back then.....

:lol:
ads

Post by ads »

yes my username was ads .

I remember your vtec on the forum, good colour. Always fancied a vtec however mine was a grey 2.2 non vtec.

Love my '2 but still miss the Prelude, really benign handling and so few on the road now. Excellent value compared to a Teg DC2 if you can find one with solid rear arches.

Enjoy your new car. Looks straight and clean - one thing I'd advise is to take the plastic panels off where the seat belt reels are, then shine a torch into the inner arches. This is the weak area rust wise on the MK2 mr2
craig

Post by craig »

Can't grumble for £350! :thumleft:
mattblack_lude

Post by mattblack_lude »

ads wrote:yes my username was ads .

I remember your vtec on the forum, good colour. Always fancied a vtec however mine was a grey 2.2 non vtec.

Enjoy your new car. Looks straight and clean

Thanks buddy, glad you remember the old girl!
Yeah, once the suspension issues are resolved, i shall be able to enjoy driving her more, its still abit of a dog to drive when the handling doesn't feel up to scratch, but im happier with how its looking, so its something to build on & keep me motivated now.
mattblack_lude

Post by mattblack_lude »

RedMR² wrote:Can't grumble for £350! :thumleft:

Cheers bud, yeah that was my thinking. He had it up for £500, but was pretty flexible after a good chat. Still trying to work out whether he sold it cheap because its a dog, or he was just ready to get rid :lol:

Anyway, took this snap just because it looked quite cool, but it got me thinking about indicators.
So, with my epic skills using high tech picture editing equipment (...microsoft paint) i decided to do a comparison between the current orange, VS clear ones VS smoked black ones.
Im thinking the clear, but really stuck as to whether the dark ones would look good as they run in line with the bump strips? I don't know, any opinions would be grand.

Standard, clear, & dark.

I know im going to get swamped from you tech guys, asking for me to work with you after seeing my skills on MS paint, but im just too busy, sorry :lol:
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I do think it needs a bit of colour. A bit drab and dreary grey otherwise.

Maybe go clears or dark indicators but different colour wheels or even just the brake calipers or something just to break it up.
craig

Post by craig »

I have some genuine Toyota clear front indicators from a Rev 5 for sale. Complete with looms. £45 posted. Best ones available In my opinion. OEM quality. Better than that cheap crap off eBay!

Check parts for sale link in my signature :thumleft:
mattblack_lude

Post by mattblack_lude »

RedMR² wrote:I have some genuine Toyota clear front indicators from a Rev 5 for sale. Complete with looms. £45 posted. Best ones available In my opinion. OEM quality. Better than that cheap crap off eBay!

Loving your keen eye for a sales opportunity :wink: :lol:

Yeah i must admit, the reason im put off by the clear ones on eBay is because they look too shiny, i would prefer OEM but can't justify £45 on them at the moment, not when all the other jobs should take priority for now - cheers though!
ads

Post by ads »

Orange if you want to go JDM look, personally I think smoked would work well. Then consider something special for rear lights.
craig

Post by craig »

mattblack_lude wrote:
RedMR² wrote:I have some genuine Toyota clear front indicators from a Rev 5 for sale. Complete with looms. £45 posted. Best ones available In my opinion. OEM quality. Better than that cheap crap off eBay!

Loving your keen eye for a sales opportunity :wink: :lol:

Yeah i must admit, the reason im put off by the clear ones on eBay is because they look too shiny, i would prefer OEM but can't justify £45 on them at the moment, not when all the other jobs should take priority for now - cheers though!

Not at all mate! Just offering good quality parts for your car. Make me an offer. :thumleft:
mattblack_lude

Post by mattblack_lude »

If it was black or white, i'd be all over the JDM orange look, but with the met grey, I think the orange just doesn't gel well with the colour.
Im swaying towards black after looking on google images for MR2's in the same colour. :-k
craig

Post by craig »

mattblack_lude wrote:If it was black or white, i'd be all over the JDM orange look, but with the met grey, I think the orange just doesn't gel well with the colour.
Im swaying towards black after looking on google images for MR2's in the same colour. :-k

The black and crystal eBay types are poor quality. Nothing in comparison to OEM Toyota. (Not another sales pitch) but fact.
mattblack_lude

Post by mattblack_lude »

RedMR² wrote:
The black and crystal eBay types are poor quality. Nothing in comparison to OEM Toyota. (Not another sales pitch) but fact.

I don't disagree, i've bought enough eBay parts to know exactly what you mean, unfortunately ](*,)

Just found more pictures of MR2's in my colour with the clear OEM lenses that you have, Red. Food for thought once again. God Dammit.
craig

Post by craig »

mattblack_lude wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

I don't disagree, i've bought enough eBay parts to know exactly what you mean, unfortunately ](*,)

Just found more pictures of MR2's in my colour with the clear OEM lenses that you have, Red. Food for thought once again. God Dammit.

Ah, the decisions of modifying! :lol:

Leave it with ya mate. :thumleft:
b333ry

Post by b333ry »

Hi matt,

see your in Norfolk too bud, live in the same area as you, dont see many 2's around these neck of woods :lol:

Mine too has shockingly bad suspension now about to drop some cash on replacement parts 8)

i'll keep an eye out and give ya wave sometime bud
mattblack_lude

Post by mattblack_lude »

Ah cool, any pics of your car so i can keep an eye out? I dont often venture to yarmouth but often around beccles area. :thumleft:
b333ry

Post by b333ry »

need to reach 15 posts bud then i can get some piccy's up 8)

sometimes around the beccles area sure we'll pass each other at some pint :lol:

Return to “Member Profiles”