Nathan's Mk2 Turbo Rev 2 - Hard Top - 1993

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nathan.z

Nathan's Mk2 Turbo Rev 2 - Hard Top - 1993

Post by nathan.z »

I've been a long time lurker and thought best to post my story as the biggest changes are starting to unfold. The car was bought for �1300 in 2013 as a present to myself for landing a new job. The body and the engine was solid so I was sold. I'd always lusted for a Turbo after owning a Rev 4 N/A for 2 years. Most of the cars I'd looked at needed a full respray anyway so the faded paint and peeled lacquer did not deter me.

The last 2 years have mainly been spent maintaining the mechanical aspects. Last November I took a dive and upgraded to the CT20b, Manual boost controller, intercooler, Decat, HKS intercooler and finally a Helix clutch. Most the parts were picked up 2nd hand due to budget but they have proved the test of time and lasted. Saving up for my first home is taking priority so I've resisted the urge to splurge.

I've had some bumps along the way including leaky oil from multiple locations, ECU failure and a worn top mount but I can't complain with a car that's almost the same age as me.

MMM pink lacquer peel :thumleft:

Future plans

I'm now taking the plunge to start work on the aesthetics.

Currently in the midst of converting the rear lights to Rev 3, then she will be in for a full respray. After that some nice alloys and new OEM replacement side lights, scuttle panel and some new Plates. (The stick on is ugly as hell) This will be happening over the next 2 months. I've got a few quotes for a respray now so just need the lights fitted before she gets painted and her youth restored.

Once I'm happy with how she looks, it'll be back onto suspension such as anti roll bars, Polybush kit. Maybe lowering if she needs it...who knows..A stainless steel exhaust.

Restoring Rev 3 Rear lights - Prep for Rev 3 conversion
I bought some second hand as OEM were over priced. They arrived with the rear centre panel but needed a spruce up. Picked up a new Rev3 boot lock (so smooth to turn) and light brackets. Pleased with my first attempt following a Youtube tutorial. :thumleft:

Tomorrow's my Birthday and I'll be driving 4 hrs to collect some super sexy super Advans sa3r's in 16' staggered. I've wanted a set of these for a few years now so can't wait to get them picked up and refurbed to my colour choice.

Nov 2015 - New alloys / respray etc

Dec 2015

Despite the weather me and a pal found a multi story car park with some cover and dried our cars off. The photos turned out nice and moody with minimal editing required thanks to taking my time setting the camera up.

Flickr album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskpMfLKU

Last edited by nathan.z on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 8 times in total.
2mad

Re: Nathan's Mk2 Turbo Rev 2 - Hard Top - 1993

Post by 2mad »

Happy birthday for tomorrow .. looking forward to seeing what you get up to with the car .. if you respray are you sticking with red ?
pkmr2

Post by pkmr2 »

Happy Birthday for tomorrow fella :thumleft:

I shall be following this thread with interest it's great to see another 2 being given the love.
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

2mad wrote:Happy birthday for tomorrow .. looking forward to seeing what you get up to with the car .. if you respray are you sticking with red ?

Sticking with red (Understand your hatred) :mrgreen: I use to also really hate red cars but after a few years of browsing they've grown on me. I think it's a colour that can easily be spoiled if not looked after. The Red / Black theme a lot of owners choose also looks tacky to my eyes. I've learnt my lesson and will be making the Advans polished lip with gun metal spokes. I'm also going to use the Orange side lights, to my eyes the Orange really compliments the Red body shell. :eye:

pkmr2 wrote:Happy Birthday for tomorrow fella :thumleft:

I shall be following this thread with interest it's great to see another 2 being given the love.

Thanks buddy :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

nathan.z wrote:

Sticking with red (Understand your hatred) :mrgreen:

I have kinda stuck my foot in it with every red mr2 owning member lol .. Im sure it will look stunning with a fresh cote mate :thumleft:
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Alloys picked up on Saturday - Looking to have these refurbed and new tyres on the rear.
Last edited by nathan.z on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

They look in pretty good nick mate :thumleft:
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

2mad wrote:They look in pretty good nick mate :thumleft:

Thanks mate - There's a blemish on the polished lip and a scuff on another. To be honest I want todo a colour change anyway as the white/cream does not much Red IMO.

The seller Vinny (Member on here) was a decent chap. Had a nice chat for 20mins about his various MR2's etc.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

nathan.z wrote:

Thanks mate - There's a blemish on the polished lip and a scuff on another. To be honest I want todo a colour change anyway as the white/cream does not much Red IMO.

The seller Vinny (Member on here) was a decent chap. Had a nice chat for 20mins about his various MR2's etc.

Quite like the red and white wheels colour scheme .. love to see them fitted as is ... see what they look like :thumleft:
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

2mad wrote:
nathan.z wrote:

Quite like the red and white wheels colour scheme .. love to see them fitted as is ... see what they look like :thumleft:

Yee ask and yee receive :) all praise photoshop

2mad

Post by 2mad »

nathan.z wrote:
2mad wrote:
nathan.z wrote:

Yee ask and yee receive :) all praise photoshop

Look superb :thumleft:
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

How did yiu go about restoring the rear lights Nathan?
I'm about to do mine and looking at wet and dry to cut into them a bit?
Good choice on the wheels 8)
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

DB Mr2 wrote:How did yiu go about restoring the rear lights Nathan?
I'm about to do mine and looking at wet and dry to cut into them a bit?
Good choice on the wheels 8)

Hey Mate,

The process was cheap and easy, just followed a youtube tutorial. Remove the lights first to save time on taping and prep.

Items needed

- Surgical spirit / Rubbing alcohol (Bought from Tesco Pharmacy)
- Mix pack of Wet n Dry sand paper (Halfords)
- Clear coat (Halfords)
- T-Cut
- Bucket of water
- Micro fibre cloth

1) Clean lights with Surgical spirit
2) Use 1200 grit Went n Dry Sand Paper to rub down top layer of lights. Keep rubbing in one direction (Horizontal) and ensure paper and lights are wet.
3) Clean lights with Surgical spirit
4) Use T-Cut fine abrasive
5) Clean lights with Surgical spirit and wait for them to dry before clear coat.
6) Two coats of clear coat (Leaving time to dry between coats. Try not to spray close or risk drips, light fine coats with the can constantly moving)

7) If the clear coat hasn't dried smooth enough then use T-Cut again.

You can vary the Wet n Dry Sand paper Grit in increments if there are big scratches in the plastic you want to smooth. Starting with 600, then increment up to 1200. Mine were already in good condition so didn't require much, just a tidy up to get rid of dirt and fade.

:thumleft:
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Great stuff cheers, don't think I'll be going near with 600 as it's only the fade that needs sorting.
Appreciate it thanks :thumleft:
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

Another visit to my local Toyota Dealer to pick up these bad boys and return a few parts that were incorrect. (2 passenger side speaker covers instead of passenger n driver side etc)

Brand new 93 JDM OEM Sidelights - These took a few weeks from Japan. :mrgreen:

Edit: I can assure you the flash from the camera made the covers yellow. :lol:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Are they legal Nate 8-[ look boss mate :mrgreen:
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

2mad wrote:Are they legal Nate 8-[ look boss mate :mrgreen:

:whistle: I'm planning on carrying round a set of Crystals just incase, also looking to test and see if I can use a light white/blue bulb for sidelights so that it'll change the colour to a more whitish/yellow hue to make them distinct from the Orange indicators. AFAIK Indicators need to be Orange to mark the width of the vehicle and sidelights need to be white / yellow.
craig

Post by craig »

I like the all orange JDM lenses, but couldn't be chewed changing them for the MOT every year, and risk of being pulled.

They should technically fail a UK MOT as sidelights at the front of the car need to be white. Luck of the draw with the MOT tester, I guess.

Also, if you get a picky copper....

If that doesn't bother you, then go for it. Just keep a legal pair in the car.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I mean what do side lights actualy do (not much) you'd need to be a pretty pricky copper to not safe for road you 8-[
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

2mad wrote:I mean what do side lights actualy do (not much) you'd need to be a pretty pricky copper to not safe for road you 8-[

Living close to london with traffic cops on the M25 and M1 it's best to be safe and carry a spare set if I get grief. That way if they threaten to tow as it's not safe to drive I can swap them over.

:)

Return to “Member Profiles”