XS-Power Group Buys

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JohnA

XS-Power Group Buys

Post by JohnA »

Been chatting with Jason from XS-Power and negotiating a bit of a deal for IMOC members.

stainless down pipes, £90 delivered.....

stainless manifolds £140 delivered. 9 (rev3)or 7 stud(rev1&2).

Cat back stainless system £315 delivered

And coming soon a Greddy copy intercooler with full fitting kit estimated price less than £400

Only need a handful of orders to get these prices.

OK lets get some names down, PM me to add you to the list :D

1 JohnA - Intercooler
2 Laney - Manifold (7 Stud for Rev 2)
3 Muffleman - Intercooler

The intercoolers are now in stock, what a lovely bit of kit!!!

Have a look here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MR2-TURBO-UPRATED ... dZViewItem

Negotiated the following group buy for IMOC members:

1-5.......£335
5-10.....£329
Last edited by JohnA on Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rikki

Re: XS-Power Group Buys

Post by Rikki »

Probably a daft question but what performance gains would the manifold have over the stock one and what sort of quality are they. I;ve heard of aftermarket "budget" ones cracking / ala SS Autochrome.

R.
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

All these products are made in the USA, they are not cheap Tiwanese stuff that will break the first time you use them.

The exhausts carry a lifetime guarentee. Manifolds & downpipes cant be guarenteed this way as the stress on these components varies greatly depending on how highly tuned the engine is. XS-Power will look at each case though, if you think the product is sub-standard then they won't ignore you.

I'll post some close ups of the welds later so you can see the build quality.

Performance gains depend a lot on supporting mods, but as a guide I would say manifold & downpipe +20 BHP.

You can see details of all these products on the XS-Power site :

http://www.xs-power.co.uk/index.php?cPa ... 6cfcd24efe
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

JohnA wrote:All these products are made in the USA, they are not cheap Tiwanese stuff that will break the first time you use them.

XS-Power downpipes and manifolds for the MR2 are made in China.

Rogue
Rikki

Post by Rikki »

All sounds good mate, I've already got a downpipe tho so what benefits would the manifold have for me?

R.
Laney

Post by Laney »

The prototype Intercooler is on my car!!! :D

Its a nice piece of kit.

I got my Downpipe from Jason and i will be buying my Manifold from him too.

Benefits would be faster spool and increase in power.

Figures quoted are 30BHP if you have both downpipe and manifold.
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

Rogue wrote:
JohnA wrote:All these products are made in the USA, they are not cheap Tiwanese stuff that will break the first time you use them.

XS-Power downpipes and manifolds for the MR2 are made in China.

Rogue

There was some Chinese copies made with the XS-Power logo. I'm sure these were rubbish, but had nothing to do with XS-Power. These are high quality items maufactured in Georgia US by a company called Stone Mountain Manufacturing.

Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

There was some Chinese copies made with the XS-Power logo. I'm sure these were rubbish, but had nothing to do with XS-Power. These are high quality items maufactured in Georgia US by a company called Stone Mountain Manufacturing.

lol dont fall for the Ebay bull! XS power is SS autochrome and vice versa. Stone Mountain isnt a company its another Ebay brand which means nothing. These are poorly made parts that will fail and IMHO are being sold by too many people. There are numerous parties in the UK trying to pass this stuff off as their own at higher prices. Avoid IMHO.

You have to also ask why the hell would some one go to the trouble of copying a rubbish brand like XS power which only exists on Ebay? Its not like its got the same image as HKS or Mugen etc
Laney

Post by Laney »

The item i received came direct from Georgia, USA. The quality is more than adequate for the job. I've had it looked at by 2 Engineers, a fabricator and the owner of a steel stockhold company. All saying its a quality item. Not the best on the planet but still very good quality.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

[quote="Laney"]The prototype Intercooler is on my car!!! :D

Its a nice piece of kit.
quote]

Any test figures on temp drop, bhp increase (before and after fitting IC ) ?

Rob
Laney

Post by Laney »

Not as yet. I'm having to sort some electrical problems with the car at the moment. I need to arrange a day at a local rolling road to test the Intercooler and decat pipe. Time is not working in my favour though. But I will get results.
michael

Post by michael »

Oh yes and the glued turbos :)

SSAutochrome / OBX / XS Power... whatever.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

:shock:
michael

Post by michael »

tonigmr2 wrote::shock:

Exactly, the last thing I want to see is IMOC members being sold crap products that will fail on them and end up costing more than decent stuff.

I know of some people who are using their turbo kits with good results but for how long?
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

michael wrote:
tonigmr2 wrote::shock:

Exactly, the last thing I want to see is IMOC members being sold crap products that will fail on them and end up costing more than decent stuff.

'decent stuff'? something like an Aussie downpipe? see here:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18846

You'll always find failed components from every manufacturer if they are incorrectly installed or pushed beyond what they were designed for. I'm not about to start an 'Aussie downpipes are crap' thread!

As for the 'glued turbos' they are not XS-Power but Chinese copies, heres a genuine XS-Power turbo:

The internet is full of rumours, 99% of it is based on hearsay rather than experience. There is also the 'cant be as good as Greddy, HKS etc mentality' If you want to pay double for a label then go-ahead.

Internet forums are funny places, the second something fails there are 50 threads on the subject, but if you actually read these you will see plenty of people are very happy with XS-Power products, I can't wait to get the new intercooler instead of a Greddy, and have enough left over to get my brakes replaced!

There are some magazine reviews of the XS-Power stuff coming up very soon, we'll see what the experts say about the quality.

Just to add.... I am not connected with XS-Power, I've just talked to Jason to try and negotiate a deal for IMOC members. He seems like a genuine and knowledgeable bloke. From what I've SEEN, rather than READ The stuff is reaaly good quality.
michael

Post by michael »

JohnA wrote:
'decent stuff'? something like an Aussie downpipe? see here:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18846

I've already seen that, I don't recall saying the Aussie was decent though.

You'll always find failed components from every manufacturer if they are incorrectly installed or pushed beyond what they were designed for.

I don't have an issue with components that fail due to abuse, I do however have a problem with companies who supply substandard items that aren't up to the job at hand.

As for the 'glued turbos' they are not XS-Power but Chinese copies

Why would a company copy an unknown brand with a poor reputation rather than a proper one with a history of making good turbos? I've heard various comebacks on this one from those people running XS stuff, this ranges from a rogue company in competition with XS releasing the pics to make them lose sales and the copy theory, personally I've seen enough XS stuff (in the flesh and on the web) to feel confident that they aren't very good at what they do. They might be worth the money they charge though - that's a different matter.

The internet is full of rumours, 99% of it is based on hearsay rather than experience. There is also the 'cant be as good as Greddy, HKS etc mentality' If you want to pay double for a label then go-ahead.

They aren't as good as Greddy and HKS though are they? How many HKS manifolds have you seen that come from the factory with the 'fully stainless' material rusty?

Internet forums are funny places, the second something fails there are 50 threads on the subject, but if you actually read these you will see plenty of people are very happy with XS-Power products, I can't wait to get the new intercooler instead of a Greddy, and have enough left over to get my brakes replaced!

Price and shame is a great way to make people ultra defensive, the proof is in the results and how long the items last - I'm looking forward to seeing some real world feedback.

There are some magazine reviews of the XS-Power stuff coming up very soon, we'll see what the experts say about the quality.

Since when have any magazines employed experts? I prefer to take in independant reviews from people with nothing to gain, I've read indepth studies that people in the US have done at work, proper material technicians with xray machines and other fancy gubbins.

Just to add.... I am not connected with XS-Power, I've just talked to Jason to try and negotiate a deal for IMOC members. He seems like a genuine and knowledgeable bloke. From what I've SEEN, rather than READ The stuff is reaaly good quality.

Are you passing stuff on from XS with no profit for yourself? What's in it for you?

I hope I'm wrong and I hope these super cheap items are up to the job, personally speaking I wouldn't touch them.
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

Michael

I won't continue this discussion on the forum as it looks like it could turn in to a personal argument. Lets just accept that different people will have different opinions.

As for 'what's in it for me' I was simply trying to organise a group buy that I would be part of, making the same saving as anyone else.

It would be nice if a few people actually using XS-power stuff, not bought through ebay, but directlt from XS-Power(so we can discount the genuine/copy argument) posted their comments on here.

No hard feelings m8 :)

John
michael

Post by michael »

JohnA wrote:
No hard feelings m8 :)

Absolutely, I'm just a sceptical, miserable sod :)
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

Comparing the SSAutochrome manifolds to the two manifolds I have had (Blitz and SFP) it looks very flimbsy indeed the gauge of tubing just isnt suffcient to take the weight of a turbo and trust be even a CT20 is a fair weight. The bracing is laughable as well!

SS Autochrome do do a few things that are suitable, the external wastegate will be fine and direct copies of big name brands and some of the turbo's they supply are MasterPower turbos which are actually very good.

Thing is you have to accept that at this price quality will be compromised and you will get failures with the more complex products he sells.

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”