[Mk2] [Generic] OEM headunit brackets - dont fit single DIN media (CD less) unit

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

raptor95GTS

[Mk2] [Generic] OEM headunit brackets - dont fit single DIN media (CD less) unit

Post by raptor95GTS »

ok, I'm obviously being stupid here but how the dickens does the OEM Double DIN brackets fit single DIN stereos? Bought a unit, didn't fit so sent it back. Went to Halfords with the brackets and got them to open up a box of the headunit I wanted. The brackets just don't fit, either the screw holes don't line up or the locating pins on the brackets foul the head unit. I know I'm missing something here but I just cannot figure it out. :cry:
Last edited by raptor95GTS on Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
acf8181

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] OEM headunit brackets - dont fit single DIN media (CD less) unit

Post by acf8181 »

Screws always lined up for me....most aftermarket units do stick about 5mm out of dash so screw holes are further back on the unit than you may expect.
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] OEM headunit brackets - dont fit single DIN media (CD less) unit

Post by raptor95GTS »

I've managed to find all the mounting hardware so tomorrow back to Halfords and get it sorted. Cheers :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

ok, found out what the problem is. The newer media units, ie no CD player are half the depth of the CD units and have different mounting options / bolt hole arrangements meaning the OEM brackets don't fit! So much for standardisation...........
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

My mechless unit (Alpine iDA-X100) fitted the stock brackets fine, as does my mechless double DIN pioneer unit. You should be able to find a unit that will work fine with those, I would think the ones that don't are in the minority.
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

i have a half depth unit in my mr2...just only used 2 of the 4 screws
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

okdokey, I shall head back out to the shops and see what I can get :thumleft:

Return to “ICE and Security”