Power Steering Fluid

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Beanz

Power Steering Fluid

Post by Beanz »

Hi guys,

I signed up here to ask this as I'm hearing a lot of conflicting opinions on this. Basically I own a '95 Honda Civic, my power steering pump shat itself and so I decided I'm going to adapt the Mk3 MR2 pump to work in my car. Now I've got together all the bits I need to do this, but I'm a bit stumped when it comes to the fluid.

The writing on the MR2 pump I have is Japanese, but I believe the fluid I need is part number 08886-01206. I have read about a Peugeot fluid working that's a lot cheaper, does anyone have any suggestions regarding this?

Cheers,
Tom
mrspete

Re: Power Steering Fluid

Post by mrspete »

I tried years ago for a equivalent with no luck and was told to stick with
Toyota Electro-Hydraulic power steering fluid (part no 08886-01206)
Pete
cabbydave1

Post by cabbydave1 »

What colour was the fluid in your Honda if it was clear coloured you can use Honda fluid. If it was normal ATF the red stuff then don't let that anywhere near the toyota
Beanz

Post by Beanz »

cabbydave1 wrote:What colour was the fluid in your Honda if it was clear coloured you can use Honda fluid. If it was normal ATF the red stuff then don't let that anywhere near the toyota

I have never touched the fluid in my Honda, but at the moment it's a browny colour.

If there isn't a suitable reliable alternative available I'd rather just pay the price for the Toyota fluid than risk the pump to be honest, where does everyone get there PAS fluid from?
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

I don’t know the answer and have always heard just go to Toyota, but it’s very expensive and Toyota don’t make power steering fluid do they, I highly suspect it can be bought elsewhere at a lower cost if you knew the specifications of it.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

It's apparently fluid for the Peogeot 307 you need as that has hydro-electric PS, at least to put in the mk2, is the mk3 MR2 the same?
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

How much is the genuine Toyota stuff, out of interest?
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

Think I got quoted over £30 a litre was a while ago. Most brands of power steering fluid are about £6 a litre so quite a mark up.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Oh, is that it? I thought we were talking hundreds of pounds here.

Sod it, I'd just get the Toyota stuff for that sort of money, peanuts in the grand scale of things.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”