My Rev3 G-ltd

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

acf8181

My Rev3 G-ltd

Post by acf8181 »

So after years of non MR2 ownership (id previously owned a rev2 uk n/a, then a rev3 turbo, then another rev2 uk n/a) i was mega feeling the need to have one again as a second car to our citroen diesel. I also wanted to do a few trackdays, so an MR2 seemed the best (read cheapest) way to do it (MX5's aren't as good IMO)

However, with not much spare money it was going to have to be a mega cheap purchase ran on a shoestring.

Essential was pretty much that it had aircon, so a G-ltd was most likely. After months of watching for sale adverts i found an unloved example not too far away, and this rather faded/pink '94 G-ltd came into my possession in August...

As i picked it up it looked like this...

It had a fair few aftermarket mods that really weren't to my taste, including an attmpt at window tinting with some spray (nail polish remover worked wonders on this!)...

tbc...
Last edited by acf8181 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acf8181

Re: My Rev3 G-ltd

Post by acf8181 »

So, first job was to try and improve the paintwork.

Claybar, the Meguiars No.7 Speed Glaze, then Meguiars Gold Class wax made an amazing difference...

It has tended to fade agin as time goes on (worse when it was summer), but i can handle giving it a going over every so often. Borrowed a friends DA polisher once, which made it a bit easier.

In terms of the mechanicals, i set about returing it to standard and servicing it, with the priority to get an o.e. exhaust on it. I was eager to get it on track and felt the decat exhaust would fail the noise test.

As soon as that was ready i did an evening session at my local circuit, Snetterton...

...The session didn't go completely to plan as i suffered overheating every few laps. I'm pretty sure it was down to not bleeding properly when i changed the coolant as its never done it on road since!

So i had to run at a reduced pace, but even so was huge fun....despite not havig the wheels properly alligned it still felt brilliant through the corners, and even keeping below 5k rpm i could keep with the mx5's on track ;-)

...tbc...
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

So, where are we at now?!

Well, haven't been on track again as didn't fancy it in the cold. So have just been changing a few more bits.

Its now completely standard. Was a tricky decision on whether to keep the lowering springs as i felt they helped on track, but were mega uncomfy on the road. Had my mind made up when it ate a top mount, so a second hand set of o.e. struts were fitted, but have kept the springs in the loft in case i go on track and find it too soft.

Elsewhere i fitted the active sound system (had it on my previous n/a's and missed it), new headunit, cup holder, colour coded mats, UK plate up front.

Oh, and managed to get it through an MOT no probs!

And this week it got UK rev5 dials (speedo and fuel guage were well out with modified import guage and i prefer the colour of the rev5 set up), and rev5 seats...

acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

So now all i intend to do is change a few bits of interior broken plastic, get rev1 deep pile carpets, fix aircon (ironic after wanting one with it, i get one with a broken one....front rad looks very tired so gonna start there), then fit yellow stuff pads and track it more!
mattm117

Post by mattm117 »

Looks very tidy. I'm feeling your pain with the faded paint too. But it's worth it for a nice red 2.
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

does look a tidy car mate

i too have a pink car lol but im opting for a full respray in a couple of weeks as it wont come back and has an awful optional extra colour from new rather than super red 2 its sunfire red :(
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

The pics are a touch flattering to be fair.....but rust wise its pretty good, and at least if bodywork isn't perfect and something happened on track it wouldn't be end of the world (where as if i ever got a respray i'd be worried all the time about it).

Seriously try meguiars #7 on any faded red mr2, is great stuff
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

acf8181 wrote:The pics are a touch flattering to be fair.....but rust wise its pretty good, and at least if bodywork isn't perfect and something happened on track it wouldn't be end of the world (where as if i ever got a respray i'd be worried all the time about it).

i already use the meguires products mate but the sunfire red is hideous anyway lol and i work in a bodyshop so its free to get it resprayed just cost of materials lol :D
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

alan_uk wrote:
acf8181 wrote:The pics are a touch flattering to be fair.....but rust wise its pretty good, and at least if bodywork isn't perfect and something happened on track it wouldn't be end of the world (where as if i ever got a respray i'd be worried all the time about it).

i already use the meguires products mate but the sunfire red is hideous anyway lol and i work in a bodyshop so its free to get it resprayed just cost of materials lol :D

nice....i'd have had a respray in your position too (don't wanna do mine too do ya?! hehe)
craig

Post by craig »

Tidy little motor there mate. :thumleft:
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

acf8181 wrote:
alan_uk wrote:

nice....i'd have had a respray in your position too (don't wanna do mine too do ya?! hehe)

haha mate i wish i could do everyone's who needs 1 to keep them all on the road and stop people ripping them apart but sadly its just not possible shame though if i win the lottery ever i will :D
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

So, haven't been upto much except get a lovely RhonMR2 Gearknob retrim and gaitor...

Saving up to get the steering wheel done to match next!

Also fitted some Volvo S40 washer jets, though not overly impressed with them.....gotta try tweeking them a bit
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

Not much been happening due to winter and not having a garage!

Did have a mini-meet with a couple of mates the other week though...

...was weird as i bought mine not knowing they both had mr2's, and they didn't know each other had one either till i mentioned i'd bought mine!

Decided to give my own wheel allignment a bash as well (after paying £60 to some crappy garage who did it wrong last year), not sure whether i got it right yet as not driven it as started takig bits off, such as my a/c rad...

acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

Also, whilst looking through my photos i found pics of my previous MR2's, so thought i'd share here...

Owned for 4 yrs in mid to late 00's (and weirdly saw it on ebay when looking for current car!)...

...tubby owner for about 3 weeks post the previous one!...

...owned for about 6 months in '11 after a drunk ebay evening!...

acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

Long overdue update...

So it's all back together after having to change the headgasket (probable cause was completely rusted out rad)

Just MOT'd it, changed cambelt and tensioners, and set up ignition timing! Couple of minor things to look at from MOT, and did discover slight oil leak from oil pump when doing the belt.

Two sticky brakes (1 slider as new caliper, 1 not sure) to be sorted when i get some yellowstuff pads on it

Slight play in one steering tie rod, will change before i fit my camber bolts and get full allignment done.

Then it's tip top and ready to track again! Will have to wait for warmer weather though! Also now working in f1 over the winter so no time! Snetterton as a test to check its perfect, then Brands Hatch as craving to drive there for years!

On the cosmetic/non performance i want to get my steering wheel re-trimmed by rhon to match my gear knob and gaiter (so with red stitching), get my seat-belts re trimmed red too, and do furtther improvements to the stereo sound quality as not quite happy with it.

Other big thing is do or don't i get a respray?! A friend will do a very good deal on one, he paint's classic f1 cars....won't be a full concourse job to keep costs lower, but would be a massive imporvement! Will deffo do some trackdays first, just in case!

Other than that am finding the grip so good from the front Uniroyal Rainsport3's that i'm going to try a narrower than standard size on rear to get them there when current nexens need replacing....i know a lot will be up in arms about this, but i firmly believe the extra grip will more than compensate for less rubber on the road, and need to try it!
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

OH...i almost forgot the best bit!

I HAVE WORKING AIRCON! :bounce: :D

...at least for the moment anyway, as machine said there my be a leak, yet it held the gas!
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

good work
has it been back on track since snet?
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

Nope, was gonna just after i'd finished the HG but the day was very very wet and i thought better of it!

Return to “Member Profiles”