Need some help

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jackro

Need some help

Post by jackro »

Hello, i'm new here, until i'll present my problem i want to present my car. First i'm from Romania a country with zero japanese culture about cars, a country where BMW and AUDI are the best cars in the world then comes Ferrari and Lambo's, but BMW it's on the 1st that must be clear! my problems can't be solved by our mechanics.
So i have a 2001 MR-S steering wheel moved from right side to the left side(this move was done at toyota service but i have tons of problems).We have like 10 MR2 here and my car it's different. My car was a disaster from the first day i've bought it, after i paid a price double than mr2 on my country because was the only one midship runabout:)) so i thought it's a good ideea. After this i paid same amout at services to solve my problems but no chance to succed so i've started to look for info's on other forums because here in my country i can't talk about my car, i love her so i'll keep invest money.
Here we are, my first problem cluster instrument doesn't work fine: althought the turometer works the speedometer doesn't work and i have no clue about the total amount of km driven. The fuel gauge doesn't indicate properly the real gas and once i accelerate strong it shows me that i'm low on gas. For the gas i've checked the gas pump and was ok.
I tried several times get out the cluster instruments and check them they seemed ok, and after putting them back the fuel gauge started working(for a short period of time), but the speedometer is dead, he start to work randomly in traffic, this way i could see that the speedometer shows me the speed in miles but the scale is in kilometers:)).
The technician i asked for opinion said the problem would stay with the cluster instruments but i would like to have other opinions too. I don't think the gearbox sensor it's dead as i said the speedo works very rare.
What else should i check, abs sensors, should i replace the cluster instruments first then look for the problem deeply, and if i must do that what should i check?
An electrical scheme for MR2 would also be very helpful because with that my electrician said he can help me.
Sorry for my bad english but after 10 hours at university i'm home looking for help with my car, by the way i have this car for 6 months, and nobody could help me here.
Lee H

Re: Need some help

Post by Lee H »

Speedo on these cars isn't driven from a gearbox sensor to start with, it comes from the abs sensors.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”