Ben's 5S-GTE Build

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BTWW

Ben's 5S-GTE Build

Post by BTWW »

I figured it's about time I started a project thread for this. Seeing as I'm now a year and a half into this build. :eye:

I'll attempt to find all of the photos that I've taken, and post them here.

The car's a 1992 Rev 2 Turbo that I've owned for 5 years. Here's it is, as it stood back when I bought it.

Needed a few issues attending to.

Including some rust on the nearside rear sill.

And an oil leak from both the distributor o'ring and shaft seal.

Then it was time for some modifications.

So fitted some BC Racing coil overs.

Rev 3+ rear lights with a quad light conversion.

And picked up a set of Advan SA3Rs in 17x8 and 17x9. In dire need of a refurb.

Once they came back from the powder coaters and had the decals applied.

Next on the list was an ST205 charge cooler and a Rev 3 management conversion.

And fitted a Greddy T67 turbo.

Still wanting to get some more power out of the car. I decided to buy a Rev 3 head to fit to the current engine.

Plans promptly changed when I found what was rumored to be a pallet 5S-FE engine that had been sitting in a garage for over a decade! \:D/
Managed to get the thing home and just about squeezed into my already chaotic garage haha.

Work started on stripping down the 5S-FE. Pallet engine or not, this thing was in VERY clean condition internally.

Custom 87mm CP pistons and 5S Pauter rods arrived from the states.

Once stripped, the first job was to drill the 5S block to match the rev 3 3S-GTE coolant jacket.

The 5S block and rev 3 head were then sent to the machine shop to be sleeved, have the valves cut, and cleaned, among other things.
BTWW

Re: Ben's 5S-GTE Build

Post by BTWW »

Head and block back from the engine shop.

Also, I needed a new clutch on the MR2 around this time. Decided I'd go for something that'd work well with the new engine once it's fitted. Enter the OS Giken R2CD.

The next job was to measure all of the valve springs, then re-install them. A very tedious and time consuming task.

Fitted the 5S oil pump to the block. Note: the 5S pump pulley was later changed out for a rev 3 3S one. This was due to the 5S using a square toothed timing belt, and the rev 3 3S pulley being the same size.

Moroso sump trial fitted. Clears the ARP main studs without issue. The kit was missing 2 nuts and 1 stud though. Wasn't too impressed with that.

5S water pump and oil cooler fitted. Note: The 5S water pump was later swapped out for a rev 3 3S one. This was for several reasons.
  • The 5S water pump has a bolt where the 3S one has the counter sunk screw. This fouls on the timing belt.
  • The 5S thermostat housing is smaller than the rev 2 3S housing, which is smaller than the rev 3 3S housing.
  • The 5S water bypass pipes don't bolt to the rev 3 3S head either.

Image[/list]
craig

Post by craig »

Great project! Tuned in. :thumleft:
BTWW

Post by BTWW »

Thanks Red! I've certainly enjoyed it!

ARP head studs installed.

Head fitting and torqued down.

Cams and pulleys installed to check valve clearances.

Timing belt temporarily installed and HKS fuel rail test fitted. Cams cleaned and valves shimmed. Surprising how expensive those little shims are! :shock:

It's worth noting that a 3S crank timing pulley is required. The 5S crank timing pulley has too many teath due to the larger cam timing pulley. They're also square teeth on the 5S pulley.

Oil pick-up and baffle installed. I had to drill out the mounting holes on the pick-up and baffle due to the larger bolt holes in my block from the balancer shafts. You can also just about make out the bolt I've used to block the oil feed for the balancer shafts.

It was at this point that I decided on fitting a rev 3 thermostat housing. Also fitted the lower timing belt cover, cam cover, and inlet manifold. The cam cover and inlet manifold have been spayed wrinkle red, although it's not quite clear in the photos.

Rev 3 water bypass pipes, thermostat housing, and dip-stick installed.

Distributor and HT leads fitted. I took the time to strip, clean, and refurbish the distributor. But unfortunately I didn't take photos of that. #-o

Luckily my 5S block has an unused bung into the oil gallery. So I fitted a 1/8 BSPT to -4 AN adapter in there for the turbo oil feed.

The only problem I've found so far with using the rev 3 water bypass pipes. I'm going to need to do some fabrication to plumb in the oil cooler.
I'm thinking of modifying the oil cooler feed pipe from a rev 2 turbo and using that to feed the lower port on the cooler from the outlet on other side of the block. Keen on hearing what others have done here.

I sent off all the engine brackets to be powder coated black. When they came back, I set about installing them.

First up was the alternator bracket. I flattened and cleaned up the points where the bracket meets the block in order to get a low resistance earth.

Next I installed the left hand engine hook bracket and oil catch can.

Then the right hand engine hook.

Injector Dynamics ID1000's installed into the fuel rail and fitted.

Not content with -6 for my fuel feed and return lines, I changed the fittings for -8.

This is pretty much where I'm at at present.
Off the top of my head, the next few jobs on my list are:
- Pressure test fuel rail.
- Crimp ID1000 wiring connectors onto my rev 3 engine loom.
- Install engine loom.
- Fit throttle body.
- Plumb in the oil cooler.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Fantastic work mate, love how clean the 5SFE was when you opened it up!!

Subscribed Image
greeny

Post by greeny »

What power are you aiming for with this?

Which sleeves did you use?

Be interesting to see how the block holds up with sleeves seeing as it's an early 5s block :thumleft:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
BTWW

Post by BTWW »

Aiming for a nice reliable 450-500 bhp.

The sleeves are custom made for the block.

Should be very interesting. Not heard of the early block cracking. But couldn't find a 98+ block at the time.
greeny

Post by greeny »

BTWW wrote:Aiming for a nice reliable 450-500 bhp.

The sleeves are custom made for the block.

Should be very interesting. Not heard of the early block cracking. But couldn't find a 98+ block at the time.

Good stuff :thumleft:

Yeah it will certainly be stronger than the 3s.

Hard to tell from the pics but I'm guessing they're dry sleeves?
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Nice build :thumleft:
BTWW

Post by BTWW »

greeny wrote:Hard to tell from the pics but I'm guessing they're dry sleeves?

Can barely see where the sleeve ends and the block begins. Couldn't get it to come out in a photo.

Yeah they're dry sleeves.
BTWW

Post by BTWW »

Not much work done on the MR2 or engine recently. Been distracted with my other project.

I did manage to fit my geometry kit to the MR2, crimp the injector wiring connectors on to the engine loom, and get the loom on to the engine though.

BTWW

Post by BTWW »

More developments, a parcel arrived this morning! :D

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ha, awesome!

\:D/
ashley

Post by ashley »

Nice!
Ricardos

Post by Ricardos »

Interesting build :thumleft: Subscribed :D
madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

Loving this build! :thumleft:
JD

Post by JD »

Apologies if you've already addressed it somewhere but wanted to ask if you plan on relocating the oil filter? :)

I always thought that was a tricky location to put it - quite difficult to remove on my old Rev 2.
BTWW

Post by BTWW »

Test fitted the new exhaust manifold today. All looks good except for interfering with the drivers side engine hook. Should be able to grind the bracket back slightly to gain clearance though.

Think I did mention re-locating the oil filter. It physically won't fit when using the Rev 3 oil dip-stick. The current plan is to fabricate a bracket and mount it using the 2 lower A/C compressor bolt holes.
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

I relocated my oil filter with mocal parts, the filter hsg (which takes a large Ford pinto SOHC std filter) sits on the bulkhead.

Your build looks very neat, I am starting a 5S build with a 99+ block.

Can I assume yours is complete now?
BTWW

Post by BTWW »

Actually, I got distracted with other projects so it's still way off being finished. :(

I've still not quite decided what to do with the remote filter head yet.

Finally started working on this again a few weeks ago, so some progress has been made. Main job that's been completed prior to the photos below is the fitting of all the coolant hoses.

Test fitted the Borg Warner EFR 7670.

Here you can see my oil cooler solution. 5S-FE oil cooler with a Mocal take off. Using a Rev 3 water by-pass pipe with an extra barb welded on to feed the oil cooler.

Made my turbo oil feed and return lines too. -4 for the feed and -10 for the return. Although I may yet re-do the return in -12.

Pressure tested the coolant system today to check for any leaks. Then put fire sleeve over the oil cooler hoses to protect them. Really not happy with how loose fitting these look. But can't really fit a smaller size over the hose clamps.

Next jobs on the list (off the top of my head):
1. Turbo and wastegate coolant lines.
2. Fire sleeve turbo oil lines and turbo and wastegate coolant lines.
3. Wrap exhaust manifold.
4. Install turbo properly.[/img]

Return to “Member Profiles”