'Champ White' Turbo Build

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

l1ca

'Champ White' Turbo Build

Post by l1ca »

Oh where to begin, this build thread is something Ive been meaning to do for some time but {insert various reasons here} I never got around to it and now Ive gotta collate and make sense of what has been done.

Firstly the car started out like this:

But after around 8 Months owership and tastes changing I started to dislike a few things. I decided I didnt really want the street racer look with its big spoilers and shouty bumpers and opted to rebuild the car with a more empasis on sportyness and an OEM+ look.

The only thing that will be kept are the TOMS skirts and winglets, I really like these and are the genuine items.

So first thing, the parts I didn't like anymore were removed. This included the replica Border front bumper, the Veilside replica rear bumper, the TRD Spoiler, the Bomex splitter, tinted rear lights and the useless snorkle.

Once all these were sold and sent off to their new respective owners I could start thinking of what to replace the gaps with.

I mulled about going back to an OEM rear bumper and adding some border spats, but then a genuine TOMs rear came up and I couldnt resist, coupled with the OEM Rev 3 spoiler, removal of snorkle and untinted rears left her looking like this.

Last edited by l1ca on Tue May 12, 2015 8:41 am, edited 7 times in total.
l1ca

Re: 'Champ White' Turbo Build

Post by l1ca »

Then I turned my attention to the interior and after seeing a car on here with its dash carbon dipped I had to have this done, looks great.

Then the car went to Sbits... whilst I was there one day I saw Craigs car the day he picked it up, had a quick sit in the Evo Recaros and being so impressed with how Pete got these to fit I promptly ordered a set of my own.

l1ca

Post by l1ca »

(A few months have passed at this point) and in my eagerness to spend some money on the car I turned my attention to the wheels, 18'' for me are far too large and these had to go.

After seeing George L's car and just how good Regamasters looked I had to buy a set, but finding them was another issue, and almost settled for the Rota Slipstream copies when by chance these turned up off Kongs old car which unfortunately suffered a fiery death...genuine Regamasters with a perfect fitment :shock:

Front - ET35 8"
Front - ET38 9"

\:D/

Anyway, money were exchanged and finally a set of Desmond Regamasters - Including centre caps - were mine! Although they need a hell of lot of work.

So, these have been sent away to be stripped, repaired where needed, straightened if needed and primered ready for painting in Fiat 750 marron volciano the closest match I can find for the Rays Bronze.

This colour:
Last edited by l1ca on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Now, since Ive got myself my dream wheels and spending a fortune getting them refurbished, why would I run these through the winter months, with all that salt, grit and rubbish on the roads?!

I wouldnt.

So, I was on the hunt for some spare wheels when these Azul Razr's turned up, not the perfect fitment with a 40 offset, but are staggered, have good tyres and were the right price.

Again, pennies exchanged, picked these up and were fitted whilst the Regamasters are being worked on.

Comparision, old to new:

The rears could do with a slight space out to fit flush, the fronts seem fine, but with these being winter wheels only it seems lilke itd be a lot of work considering the fact ill have to pull longer wheel studs through to fit the hubcentric spacers, but we'll see.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

My strut braces, both front and back had seen better days, and needed a drastic overhaul, took them round to my local powder coaters and a few days later I got them back...

Before:

After:

Hard to believe they are the same part.

:clap:
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Moving on to the front, I did contemplate buying a genuine Border from Nengun, but at almost £1000 for a fragile Fibreglass kit, it just wasnt going to happen.

So, given the quality of fitment I want from this car, there was only one way to go. Back to OEM, so scouring the net for ideas I came across this beauty...

Possibly my favorite SW20 (obviously after mine) :wink:

I noticed the front didn't have fogs and the front bar stretches all the way across, thinking this was a custom job I was on the blower to Pete, who informed me this was the bumper for the 3SFE edition, a low range, low equipped car for those who wanted the look of the MR2 without the bells and whistles the higher models came with.

So, a brand new one was ordered from Toyota, and the accompanying Aeroware Splitter was ordered and im just waiting for these both to be delivered now.

Its been a slow, and at times grueling process at times, but its getting there.

More updates to come.

\:D/
Songoku777

Nice!

Post by Songoku777 »

Good work mate it looks like its really starting to come along!

wilki

Post by wilki »

Ye nice work :thumleft:

Liked it before and intrested to see how it develops 8)
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Slight update: The Regamasters have been stripped, placed in primer and are undergoing a final smooth down before painting.

Havnt seen them in the flesh yet, but compared to how I left them, such a transformation, cant wait to see these finished!

JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

:cheers: Finally. Been waiting for you to put this up for ages! :mrgreen:

I'm tuned in. Looking forward to seeing the results.

I've been toying with the idea of a standard front, with an aftermarket lip, but that'll be for another day. Saving up for an ecu at the moment :-#

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
MR2 Turbo Boy

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

Looking forward to seeing it at Le Mans...... :thumleft: and you of course.. :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Nice work Dave, car looks loads better than when you originally bought it. Des. Regas look fantastic also, nice buy!

Tuned in.

Le Mans is going to rock, can't wait! 8)
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

I will be watching this one :thumleft: is thats Craigs now immaculate body shell I see in the background of one of the pictures?
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Awesome dude!! I'm tuned into this :) I love what you are doing with it...

P.s awesome choice of wheels :thumleft:
I'm going to be gutted to be not using mine next summer :(
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Do the wheels have centre caps?

I'm not a big lover of wheels, but they are very nice.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

Josh
Finally. Been waiting for you to put this up for ages!

I know right, we've been talking about it for long enough, and by talk I do mean you prodding me to get a move on with it ;)

I suppose the thing that's been putting me off so much is that so much has been done, so looking back retrospectively and making sense of all the little bits is a little daunting.

Coupled with a move and a new job in-between, it just had to wait.

(Thats my excuse anyway :whistle:)

Craig
Le Mans is going to rock, can't wait!

This, even better now youve decided to keep yours.
\:D/ :thumleft:

The missus is even stoked about it :-$

George
P.s awesome choice of wheels

Thanks, it was actually your car that introduced me to Regamasters, I saw your sale thread a while back and how well they sat on the car, they looked fantastic. I thought. I want these...Ouch, expensive. Why are they so muich when all other wheels are around the £500 mark?

So I looked into them more and started to understand just how special they are. Almost resided myself to a set of Rota Slipstreams and funnily enough just before I went to buy I nipped down to Petes for something, he was busy fettling with the Noble so I was having a look around, being generally nosey tbh and saw them piled up.

Didnt believe they were Regamasters tbh being how rare and expensive they can be, flipped them over not expecting much more than a Rota sticker, and then I saw "forged in Russia!", found out they were for sale... almost wet myself with glee!!

Dazzz

Do the wheels have centre caps?

They do. they are one of those bits though that seem to be in short supply tbh, and are quite expensive for what equates to bits of circular plastic, I was very lucky and got mine with the wheels, in prisine condition, I don't think Kong ever used them, or if he did they were not on for long.

They are a work of art themselves!
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Definitely a very good and well timed find :)

I absolutely love the regas. It's the weight of them that is awesome aswell! I waited a while to get mine aswell... Worth the wait though :) I'm
Really glad you got some. They are going to set the car off perfectly!

Cannot wait to see them finished and on the car
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

Can't wait for le mans too. First club event and huge overall of my car too before going.
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

More updates

Another part arrived, thanks Josh, just a nice little touch up on the interior and would well with the carbon dipped dash, they both have the same colour 'carbon' flowing through them.

Toms Horn Button:

Fresh paintwork, freshly refurbed wheels, a lot of new body parts, yet ill be running old, ugly calipers.

Hell no!

Here they are, looks like they have been painted before, red, then yellow, then black, all colours flaking off, rusty in parts, flaking off, dirty and just generally unsightly. So these are being sent off to Big Red to be stripped down, blasted and painted.

As we know the MK2 suffers with sticky calipers and whilst mine, (the last time I drove it) were absolutely fine, but still it makes little sense to put old parts back into freshly blasted and painted calipers so these will be fully re manufactured with fresh everything, the only thing that will be reused is the actual body of the caliper itself.

Current condition:

The only difficult difficult decision ive got to make now is just what colour to chose for my little bits as this theme will run throughout the car.

This third colour will be used for the Regamaster stickers, the calipers, the rocker cover, etc.
So ive had a mess around on Photoshop, and whilst these are not exact colours we can get a fairly decent idea of the outcome.

White, Bronze and .....

red / black combo?

red

Blue

purple

Stickerless wheels / with any colour above of caliper

I really wanted purple to work, but with me not being able to specify a shade of colour to either the guy who makes the stickers nor the company who is painting the caliper it could turn out badly and have some weird mixed shades.

This is why, at present im leaning very strongly towards red.
Last edited by l1ca on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

I like blue and purple options.
One day the Phoenix will rise from the ashes.

Return to “Member Profiles”