www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Generic] SW20 heated windscreen
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Group Buys - MR2 related
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty J

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [Generic] SW20 heated windscreen Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I am putting a feeler out to see who would want a heated windscreen for their MKII SW20.

As far as I am aware, the Toyota MR2 SW20 never had the option of a heated windscreen.

Ford had the option for some of their cars. This would help defrost and demist the windscreen far quicker than just waiting for the engine to heat the coolant up for the internal heater fan.

Also a lot of rally and track cars use heated windscreens because the vehicle heating components have been removed to reduce weight.

It would take 3-4 months to produce these once the order has been placed

5 units - price each 320

10 units - price each 300

15 units - price each 290

Please let me know if you are interested in buying one, even if you are not sure at this moment.
thomp1983

Feedback Score: 45

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Id be a definite in. [thumleft]
Torero
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 64

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I'd be interested but I'd need to know the screen spec, such as are they 'E' marked and are the electrics an addition to the stock screen or is there some form of manufacturing involved.

Only trying to be cautious but would also be interested if it's possible to get them purchased as past of my insurance cover [Very Happy]..............................I need new one and it'll only set me back 80 quid through my insurance.

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176137&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Marty J

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

The screens are fully e-marked .

This is a new replacement heated windscreen.
gerbil1028

Feedback Score: 10

1992 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Would be interested but would want to know what's involved in wiring it in
Marty J

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

A straight forward electrical diy job.

Take a fused supply from the battery to a relay.

A fused trigger supply from a ignition switch, so it is only on when the car is running.

Relay connections: 87 to heated windscreen. 30 to fused positive battery. 85 to ground . 86 to fused on/off switch ignition.
gerbil1028

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Think for me it will depend on final price as my current screen is perfect
Marty J

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

For those who would like this to go into production please spread the word if you are a member on other MR2 sites.

I have also opened a copied page on the MR2.ie site.
gerbil1028

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

As previous member stated. Have you not conciderd approaching someone like autoglass ??

Sure if they were willing to change under insurance for your screens they would fly of the shelf.

I know mine would have an accident.
abovetherim
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 6

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I doubt auto glass or any other fitter group would be interested as they pay peanuts for the screens themselves
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Feedback Score: 37

1990 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hmm. 300 quid screen and a stone flicksup and chips it after say, a week.. Then autoglass replace with a boggo standard screen and back to square one!

I like the idea, brilliant but if you cant get replacements it is a risk every time you take the car out. Though i have only had one new screen in 7 years.
gerbil1028

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I know autoglass pay peanuts as I used to work there.

But I'm sure the numbers wanting them if this approach was ok would increase drastically. Lowing manufacturing costs, plus they get paid huge amounts from insurance companies for screens so still profit in uy for them
Draven

Feedback Score: 43

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

D4N_V_U wrote:
Hmm. 300 quid screen and a stone flicksup and chips it after say, a week.. Then autoglass replace with a boggo standard screen and back to square one!

I like the idea, brilliant but if you cant get replacements it is a risk every time you take the car out. Though i have only had one new screen in 7 years.

+1 this. i need a new screen but I'd guarantee that a stone would flick up and then my insurance would just stump up for a regular replacement.
Marty J

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Someone asked if I would be able to get heated tinted windscreens like the tinted type Toyota installed. Well yes I can.

The only thing is that they would be counted separate from clear windscreens.

E.g I could not order 4 tinted and 6 clear and count the order as 10.

It would have to be 10 tinted or 10 clear.
mr2tourist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

How do you remove the scuttle panel to get to the lower windscreen seal?

I want to check something before commiting to anything...
synXero

Feedback Score: 34

2004 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Surprised people are so worried about getting replacement screens - how often do you have to do that?!

Heated screens ftw [Cool]
Marty J

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

mr2tourist wrote:

You will need to remove the two wiper arms.

On the panel there are a number of screw covers that just pry off to get to the screws holding the panel down.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Feedback Score: 37

1990 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Quote:
Surprised people are so worried about getting replacement screens - how often do you have to do that?!

Not often obviously. But 300 for a screen and then worrying a stone is going to hit it and I cannot get a direct replacement for 70 quid on the insurance as you normally would.. Just puts me off I`m afraid.
mr2tourist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Marty J wrote:
mr2tourist wrote:

You will need to remove the two wiper arms.

On the panel there are a number of screw covers that just pry off to get to the screws holding the panel down.

Oh yeah. Thanks. Found it in the manual as well!
Marty J

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

D4N_V_U wrote:
Quote:

Not often obviously. But 300 for a screen and then worrying a stone is going to hit it and I cannot get a direct replacement for 70 quid on the insurance as you normally would.. Just puts me off I`m afraid.

I take your point, but the way I look at it is that every time we drive our cars on the road they are at risk of being damaged. Whether it is a stone, pothole or other vehicles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Group Buys - MR2 related All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: