[Mk2] [Turbo] Chargecooler pump mounting options

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

[Mk2] [Turbo] Chargecooler pump mounting options

Post by Ryan S »

ok, so thinking about my chargecooler setup and not sure if i'm overly keen on the pump hanging off the bottom of the gearbox, is there any other places where it could be mounted? is the pump gravity fed or will it pump from any height?? it's a GT4 pump :thumleft:
shinny

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Chargecooler pump mounting options

Post by shinny »

I have mine on the GT4 bracket hanging off the gearbox... it got flagged up as an MOT advisory last year! It needs moving so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

My GT4 pump is mounted to the gearbox. Been on the car year and half with no issues. Not 'hanging off' the gearbox though.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

If mounted to gearbox with OEM GT4 bracket (as Craig's is), i see no reason for MOT guy to have an issue.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:If mounted to gearbox with OEM GT4 bracket (as Craig's is), i see no reason for MOT guy to have an issue.

TBH, I had the same comment from JD Modified. They actually first fitted the pump to the car (before I owned it) using a cut and re-welded bracket that eventually broke along the weld resulting in the pump dragging along the road by its hoses. Now I've replaced it with the proper GT4 bracket, apparently they think it's hanging too low. :whistle:

In fairness, you can see it hanging off the underside of the car here and I do worry a little that one big knock (like running over a rabbit) would rip it off the gearbox...

That said, it's been like that for about 2 1/2 years I think and before that it was sat a little higher but in the same location. The only issue I've had with that placement is JD Modified's weld breaking after about 3 or 4 years.
Last edited by shinny on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marf

Post by Marf »

When I had mine fitted the guy cut the bracket in half and welded it on at a 90 degree angle so the pump wasnt so low
shinny

Post by shinny »

TBH, I don't see why the gearbox is a great location for it, bar the holes being present for the GT4 bracket. Surely being on the gearbox just adds to the vibrations the pump will receive? Finding a suitable point to bolt the pump to low down on the wall of the engine bay must be better.
Marf

Post by Marf »

"bar the holes being present for the GT4 bracket"

Basically that's it.

What are you going to bolt it to on the firewall? You'd need to fab up a bracket which can mount to something already bolted to the firewall, or create some new mounting points.

Far far far easier just to use the bolt holes on the gearbox. It's almost as if Toyota wanted you to fit the ST205 CC setup to the MR2!

Also I don't see how the gearbox will create undue vibration?
shinny

Post by shinny »

Marf wrote:Also I don't see how the gearbox will create undue vibration?

Well the gearbox is directly bolted to the engine so all vibrations created by the engine (which are capable of vibrating my entire car through polybushed mounts) will be transmitted through the gearbox housing to the pump.
Marf

Post by Marf »

shinny wrote:
Marf wrote:Also I don't see how the gearbox will create undue vibration?

Well the gearbox is directly bolted to the engine so all vibrations created by the engine (which are capable of vibrating my entire car through polybushed mounts) will be transmitted through the gearbox housing to the pump.

And the GT4 was well known for suffering from pump failure because of engine vibrations?

I think you're overthinking it.

The pump bracket has rubber dampers on it anyway, or at least mine did :thumleft:
mark239

Post by mark239 »

I'm sticking a massive chargecooler on my car, decided to use a Mk1 Focus RS chargecooler pump, as they were reasonable money brand new.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Marf wrote:And the GT4 was well known for suffering from pump failure because of engine vibrations?

I think you're overthinking it.

The pump bracket has rubber dampers on it anyway, or at least mine did :thumleft:

Fair point. Mine has rubber dampers on too... now I'm not using the JD Modified "modified" version of the bracket.

Still hangs unnerving low though.
shinny

Post by shinny »

mark239 wrote:I'm sticking a massive chargecooler on my car, decided to use a Mk1 Focus RS chargecooler pump, as they were reasonable money brand new.

I keep eyeing up the Focus pre-rad. However I'm running the ST205 ECU to monitor and control the pump so other pumps are not an option I'm afraid.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

from my research when i did my own custom CC setup, i read alot of reports that the closer the pump is to the rad the better...

i personally mounted it under the passenger headlight!
no danger of damage there!

ignore crazy bends at rad, i fit a 45degree in the end

chief44

Post by chief44 »

Again, not a st205 pump but it may be useful for others...

On my mk1 I bolted my pump to the frunk firewall, behind the CC and engine coolant rads, using an exhaust clamp.

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

jimGTS wrote:from my research when i did my own custom CC setup, i read alot of reports that the closer the pump is to the rad the better...

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ ... 8_2447.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ ... 8_2471.jpg

ah man, this looks way better!!!

so just to get back on one of my first questions, is the pump gravity fed? (like a fish tank filter pump) although i guess even if it is, the CC core would be higher than it anyway
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:
jimGTS wrote:from my research when i did my own custom CC setup, i read alot of reports that the closer the pump is to the rad the better...

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ ... 8_2447.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v326/ ... 8_2471.jpg

How is it 'way better' than it being mounted on gearbox?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RedMR² wrote:
sheppy wrote:

well i can go over speedbumps without fear of ripping it off :-k
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:
RedMR² wrote:
sheppy wrote:

well i can go over speedbumps without fear of ripping it off :-k

So can I.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Less additional weight at the back of the car = winning \:D/

Does the GT4 charge cooler system have a swirl pot? That would be my only concern about mounting the pump up front if it doesn't.

Return to “Modifications”