Ps4

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mikee66

Ps4

Post by mikee66 »

Well, from the launch details, pricing etc it seems to me that Sony has this nailed shut.

Interesting they are now charging for online multiplayer in the same way as XBL but the difference is you are getting a AAA launch title free on day one.

Not bowled over on the looks of either of the consoles tbh
thai boxer

Re: Ps4

Post by thai boxer »

Really mate? I dont see that at all. I think both consoles look great but with the xbox one doing the whole 'one box does all home hub' thing its definitely got the edge over the ps4. The games look outstanding on next gen and will definitely make current gen look very dated very quickly.

I think the ps4 will sell very well in Japan like the ps3, the One will sell very well in America and Europe like the 360. They are obviously a lot more expensive than current gen but that was to be expected. Roll on the xmas deals! :thumleft:
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

yeah im pretty sure sony have nailed it too, dont see how microsoft can top them? so many stupid ideas on the one and it looks terrible
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

H3RB wrote:yeah im pretty sure sony have nailed it too, dont see how microsoft can top them? so many stupid ideas on the one and it looks terrible

Gaming wise, Illumiroom looks amazing and feels more innovative then what the PS4 is bringing to the table.

That said, after being an early adopter of the PS3 (pre-UK launch) I'm going to sit this one out. I have something else now to burn a hole in my pocket... it's called the MR2!
Joey

Post by Joey »

thai boxer wrote:Really mate? I dont see that at all. I think both consoles look great but with the xbox one doing the whole 'one box does all home hub' thing its definitely got the edge over the ps4. The games look outstanding on next gen and will definitely make current gen look very dated very quickly.

I think the ps4 will sell very well in Japan like the ps3, the One will sell very well in America and Europe like the 360. They are obviously a lot more expensive than current gen but that was to be expected. Roll on the xmas deals! :thumleft:

The whole home hub thing is rubbish IMO, people already have Sky, Virgin etc. Buyers want a gaming console, not a jack of all trades master of none big black box that looks like an old video recorder :). Then there's the whole must connect to the internet once a day thing (too which MS response has been, and i'm not joking here, is to buy a 360 if you want offline gaming). Moving on there's destroying the second hand games market and the most stunning thing is the fact the GPU is considerably less powerful than the one in the PS4.

From a pure gamers perspective the PS4 wipes the floor with the XBox

1. Cheaper
2. Not region locked
3. You're free to trade games
4. Considerably better graphics based on the fact it has roughly twice the number of shaders as the Xbox

I should point out i'm not a Sony fanboy, in fact if i were to buy a console today i'd go with the 360. Microsoft is on a real roll at present, they screwed up Windows 8 and now they're doing the same with Xbox
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Lots of people want media boxes, that's why the market for them has increased massively over the last 5 years. It's also why Netflix and Lovefilm are so popular.

Graphics will be the same on both, guarantee it. In fact, £10 to the charity of your choice if the first batch of games released on both consoles (so CoD, BF4, TESO etc) aren't practically identical to each other.

Buyers want something that's good and different, hence the Wii selling billions. I don't think the XB1 is going to bomb anywhere near as much as the internet thinks it is, because the people it's aimed at simply don't care about the 'problems'. They'll buy it because waving your hands to get it do stuff and speaking to it to get it to do stuff is cool and highly impressive.

If marketed correctly, it could be as must-have as the PS1 was back in the day. Lots and lots of non-gamers went and bought that because it was awesome, not because they wanted to play games IYSWIM.
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

Totally agree mate. Like I said in my xbox one post, Sony definitely arnt telling us the whole truth yet about the ps4. Their presentation was just an attack on Microsoft and saying what the ps4 could do, not what it cant do and will actually end up doing. As for the whole 'its so much more powerful'...rubbish. both consoles are extremely similar and the games will look identical for sure.

Look at the whole fanboy argument of 'the ps3 is far more powerful than the 360!'...every game that was released on both current consoles looked better on the 360. Power means nothing. Its all about the final product and how it looks, sounds and plays. Simple as.
The ps4 is cheaper yeah, apparently sony are making a loss on each console at that price just to try and undercut Microsoft and make sales. Fair enough though.

The exact details on both consoles will be released over the next few months so we'll know a lot more about how they're going to work soon.
Draven

Post by Draven »

thai boxer wrote:
The ps4 is cheaper yeah, apparently sony are making a loss on each console at that price just to try and undercut Microsoft and make sales. Fair enough though.

Haha no way i believe that. They are making a profit Sony aren't stupid
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

I suspect that they are making a loss on each one, and instead are looking to fund that via paying for PSPlus now for online stuff. If not a loss, then break even certainly.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Im going PS4

Every hardcore gamer on my Facebook is going for the PS4 due to -

Xbox -

-Costs £100 more
-Cant share / buy / sell / trade games freely
-Must be connected to the net something like once every day or 2 or locks you out (not good if the phone line goes down or something!!)
-That 24/7 Camera watching you all the time along with a mic listening to you
-and other things...
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Draven wrote:
thai boxer wrote:

They sold the PS3 at a loss, apparently at a $200 - $300 per console loss as well depending on which model!!!

They have said that the PS4 wont be sold at a major loss like the PS3 was
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

Draven wrote:
thai boxer wrote:

Not when they made the huge mistake before with the ps3, pricing it way to high. As ekona says, now you have to pay to play online so they will make millions from that. More ps4s they sell at a loss the more they make with online subscriptions. Makes simple sense.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Ekona wrote:I suspect that they are making a loss on each one, and instead are looking to fund that via paying for PSPlus now for online stuff. If not a loss, then break even certainly.

Sony Made a loss (somewhere in the £100+ mark) on all its early 60gig PS3's but swallowed the cost in the hope units would shift which they did. then leading onto the further revisions which made them a few quid :lol:
Last edited by oukie on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

thai boxer wrote:
Draven wrote:
thai boxer wrote:

Not when they made the huge mistake before with the ps3, pricing it way to high. As ekona says, now you have to pay to play online so they will make millions from that. More ps4s they sell at a loss the more they make with online subscriptions. Makes simple sense.

It wasn't priced way to high though, your not comparing like for like
I have a release day PS3, which cost £450 at HMV

So to get a 360 anywhere near close to a PS3 it cost as follows
I have a 360 (phat) elite £300, a HDDVD reader £120, a wireless adapter £60, plus online fees (originally £40 per year)
so total £520
Plus online fees for every year so now up to £720 compared to my £450 PS3
I think you need to rethink your Fanboi attitude. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have owned both consoles from new and have said many a time the PS3 was just the better and overall cheaper and more reliable console, which also performed better.

I will be buying the PS4 and so far every single mate of mine even the 360 owners are buying a PS4 :lol:
I WILL NOT be buying the Xbox one though .

Chris
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

thai boxer wrote:Look at the whole fanboy argument

Quite, that's all I see in your posts :-P

Sony will very likely be selling the console at a loss to gain market penetration.
No idea if they'll try to claw costs back with an online subscription. But it still makes sense to sell the hardware at a loss as they make money from each game sold (for both physical media and digital).

I'd hate to think how much Microsoft lost on each 360 sale, given that most people have had multiple free replacements under warranty :shock:
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

love seeing people try to justify the xbox one lol like trying to swim up hill
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

What's there to justify? Would I prefer it without the 24 hour and used game policy? Maybe, but only because the internet would be a quieter place right now. For the 95%* of people who bought the 360, the 24hr thing will make 0% difference, and they can still share the games just in a different way. Being able to share with 10 other people the same game without having to give them the physical media seems like a pretty good thing, just a shame they did one without the other.

Sony happily admit they sold the PS3 miles too high at launch: They referenced it in an E3 interview when someone commented on the PS4 launch price and they said they had learned from their past.

I'll copy this bit which I've said on another forum, apologies if it may seem a bit out of context:

So really what we're looking at from the two companies is one who are attempting to deliver new experiences at both a monetary and freedom cost, and one who are just giving us more of the same. If you look at it like that, I'm not sure MS deserve the flak they're getting.

Sony have played it very safe really, and whilst giving the consumer what they want is commendable it's not always giving the consumer what they need. A la Steve Jobs, pretty much. I'm not saying that all gamers need Kinect or TV stuff or whatever, but the option is there and future expansion potential is massive.

I know I'm blinkered by being both committed to current gen MS stuff (never had an original Xbox, had a PS2) as well as having zero internet worries and only buying new games, but if you strip everything down to just the machines and the games I do think that MS is in the better position.

*Made up statistic
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

oukie wrote:
thai boxer wrote:
Draven wrote:

I have a 360 (phat) elite £300, a HDDVD reader £120, a wireless adapter £60, plus online fees (originally £40 per year)
so total £520

Chris

Mate you're talking rubbish and I am the furthest thing from a Microsoft fanboi thats for sure. Your pricing is completely wrong. Xbox was £200-250, hd player was completely optional and only £120 for about 2 weeks, wifi adapter completely optional you didnt need it and xblg is only £40 if your a mug and buy it direct, I've never paid more than £25 for it and its a far far better service than anything on the ps, everyone knows that.

Sony have been talking complete sh*te and are going to look very stupid as its just been officially released by the game publishers that they CAN block used games and trade ins on the ps4 and are working on a policy now. :lol:
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

thai boxer wrote:
oukie wrote:
thai boxer wrote:

so total £520

Chris

Mate you're talking rubbish and I am the furthest thing from a Microsoft fanboi thats for sure. Your pricing is completely wrong. Xbox was £200-250, hd player was completely optional and only £120 for about 2 weeks, wifi adapter completely optional you didnt need it and xblg is only £40 if your a mug and buy it direct, I've never paid more than £25 for it and its a far far better service than anything on the ps, everyone knows that.

Sony have been talking complete sh*te and are going to look very stupid as its just been officially released by the game publishers that they CAN block used games and trade ins on the ps4 and are working on a policy now. :lol:

Pretty sure I could dig out the receipt Release day 360 ELITE 120gig WAS £300 December 2005
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

An ELITE was mate but that was the top spec console they did and was released A YEAR later not release day. You didnt have to buy an elite if you didnt want to. The other consoles were £209.99 and £249.99 on release day. I bought my elite for £220. There were loads of deals about. Its totally irrelevant now anyway. 8)

Return to “Games Consoles”