Crystal Headlight users

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RikH77

Crystal Headlight users

Post by RikH77 »

Contemplating these, even though I never actually drive the car at night :lol:

If you have them, can you fire up some pics and your views on them....

Cheers
craig

Re: Crystal Headlight users

Post by craig »

No pics, but loads better than stock. Especially when used with Osram nightbreaker +.
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

If these are the ones of eBay that appear now and again then they are worth it. I have them and the night breakers. The lights actually light up the road in front. After 3 mr2s this is the first time I've felt like the lights are actually good. Not tried on a country road yet.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Some photos of when I put some on my old car here - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... &start=140

Combined with the NB+ bulbs they were a good improvement over the stock combo :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

Rogue quad projectors give better illumination than the crystals (raybrigs in may case), I found. Of course if you don't drive at night, the performance of the headlights is a little irrelevant. That said, so are the looks :wink:
synXero

Post by synXero »

Crystals made a huge difference :thumleft:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Well worth it so long as you get proper glass ones like raybrigs and not the plastic ones that were going around a while ago :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
shinny

Post by shinny »

KarlBristol wrote:Well worth it so long as you get proper glass ones like raybrigs and not the plastic ones that were going around a while ago :thumleft:

Raybrigs are plastic :wink:
Ben

Post by Ben »

shinny wrote:
KarlBristol wrote:Well worth it so long as you get proper glass ones like raybrigs and not the plastic ones that were going around a while ago :thumleft:

Yep! I have a set of Raybrigs on my Mk1 and they're brilliant. Supposedly the reflective surface of the eBay ones can start to peel off after a couple of years (or so I've heard) so it's probably worth getting the genuine article if you can.
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Nick

Post by Nick »

RedMR² wrote:No pics, but loads better than stock. Especially when used with Osram nightbreaker +.

As Red says loads better . I fitted that exact setup .
Crystals I got off ebay , super cheap . Thought they would be cack but they are not . If the chrome does peel off in a few years who cares I`ll bin them and buy some more :) Ill report back in 2 years if the chrome falls off :thumleft:
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

benedwards64 wrote:
shinny wrote:

Yep! I have a set of Raybrigs on my Mk1 and they're brilliant. Supposedly the reflective surface of the eBay ones can start to peel off after a couple of years (or so I've heard) so it's probably worth getting the genuine article if you can.

Its better not to get the raybrigs because they are super cooly illegal. No e-mark so probably wont have the uptick aswell.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Johnr32 wrote:Its better not to get the raybrigs because they are super illegal. No e-mark so probably wont have the uptick aswell.

IIRC Raybrigs have a little step in them rather than a tick; actually it looks the same as the step my UKDM E46 BMW has on it's dipped lights. No E-mark doesn't mean they're trash by any stretch of the imagination.

Do the cheap crystal headlights on ebay have E-marks?
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

Yeh
Nick

Post by Nick »

Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

shinny wrote:
Johnr32 wrote:Its better not to get the raybrigs because they are super illegal. No e-mark so probably wont have the uptick aswell.

IIRC Raybrigs have a little step in them rather than a tick; actually it looks the same as the step my UKDM E46 BMW has on it's dipped lights. No E-mark doesn't mean they're trash by any stretch of the imagination.

looks the same but not the same..the tick might be a bit less/more noticable on different headlights.
David

Post by David »

Do they fit any type of MR2 or is there a difference between UK/Jap fittings?
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

Fit both jdm and UK
shinny

Post by shinny »

Johnr32 wrote:
shinny wrote:

looks the same but not the same..the tick might be a bit less/more noticable on different headlights.

My comment there is my BMW doesn't have an uptick per-se. It has a notch up so one side is higher that the other, but that's it. When facing a wall, the difference from side to side in the E46's light pattern was less noticeable that that of the Raybrigs. Yet it passes MOT every year and must have passed European type approval.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Night and day :D

10 minute job too, super easy. Every MR2 owner should do it IMO.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

I got eBay jobs dropped one face down and it smashed into a million pieces. So they are glass. I also phones up the seller to explain that I'm clumsy and they sent a new one out free!! Still not fitted that one so I have odd front headlamps. Passed mot like that too..

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”