Track day with Mk1 MR2

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Toymad

Track day with Mk1 MR2

Post by Toymad »

Last summer I took a pretty standard mk1 out on a track day at Snetterton. Mostly it was about learning a bit more about driving quickly and getting to know the car a bit better. I had expert tuition on hand all day as my father is an experienced racing driver who has driven single seaters for years as well as run a race team, these days he takes his Elise out to Snetterton from time to time.

I was a bit worried that the MR2 would be way out of its depth, especially given the firepower of some of the machinery there. My car has no mods other than a stainless exhaust, the front dampers are pretty new from Toyota but who knows when the rears were last replaced and I think the springs are original!

I needn't have worried because I had a great time anyway and I was really impressed with the way the MR2 can put the power (!) down, much earlier out of corners than the fwd cars.

If I were to do it regularly I'd try more track oriented brake pads and take it from there, brake fade was limiting my time on the track and I had to drive sensitively to preserve them. Not terrible, just the first thing to go.
Toymad

Re: Track day with Mk1 MR2

Post by Toymad »

Ooops, just saw the track day section. Will head over there.

Return to “Driving Experiences”