Something for the summer

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

vinp182

Something for the summer

Post by vinp182 »

I recently sold the engine and turbo kit out of my mk3 as I'm planning to go V6 towards the end of the year so when this came available I went for it as a stop gap until I'm back in my mk3

Quick Spec List
93 Turbo Shell
Rev4 Turbo Engine
Berk Exhaust
LSD Box
Exedy Clutch
Custom Built Turbo (never run so unknown performance but expected to be around 400bhp)
Apexi PFC + Commander
Sard 850 Injectors
Tial Wastgate
Screamer pipe
Boot Mount IC ( being replaced with boot mount CC)
Blitz EBC
Rogue Engine Bay Fan Kit

Rev6 Front Lights
Toms style Skirts
Bomex Front Lip
PP Rear Spats
Genuine Rev5 Spoiler

Koni Adjustables + Springs
TRD Front and Rear Strut Braces
Fully Poly Bushed
CRN Discs

Momo Steering Wheel
Speedhut Dials
Few tarty bits and pieces

Bits I've got waiting to go on
Evo Recaro's + Genuine Recaro SW20 Rails
Whiteline Adjustable ARB's
Massive CC Core, Rad, Pipe work etc
Enkei Circlar staggard wheels (need refurb)

I cut out the boot floor from a breaker I had so I'll be re-welding that into this car once the boot mount IC is removed
There are a few interior bits that need tidying/replacing and I'll probably get the TRD Braces done the same colour as the wheels

The car will be going down to Ryan @ 2bar some time after the Highland drive (18th April) for a complete remap to see what power we have

Here are the project threads for other mr2's I have if anyone is interested :thumleft:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/131765.html - mk3 turbo

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/134294.html - mk2 V6

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/153179.html - mr2 championship car
vinp182

Re: Something for the summer

Post by vinp182 »

IC now removed and I placed the CC in place to get an idea of fitment which doesn't look like its going to be to bad :)

matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Nice motor :thumleft: how come your changing from boot ic to a boot cc

Have you thought about mounting the cc in the engine bay to shorten the pipe route
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

I've seen that setup a couple of times. I'll have a play tomorrow :thumleft:

I was gonna keep it boot mount as the pipe work was already in there but I've had a play today and nothing really fits nicely without buying a load of new hoses and stuff :cry:
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

vinp182 wrote:I've seen that setup a couple of times. I'll have a play tomorrow :thumleft:

I was gonna keep it boot mount as the pipe work was already in there but I've had a play today and nothing really fits nicely without buying a load of new hoses and stuff :cry:

I think you have enought pipes to easily mount it in the engine bay
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Managed to get 30 mins on the car today

Disconnected the battery, moved the ecu and a few other bits and bobs out the boot
Removed the boot lid and exhaust ready to get the new floor pan in :)

vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

New boot floor welded in and under sealed :D

Just gotta wait for it to dry now :(
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Been pretty busy lately with the Highland drive and a few other bits and pieces so not done much to this :(

I have managed to order all the silicone hoses, new pipe work and clips, pump etc for the CC setup. Some of it has come but still waiting for a few bits

This afternoon I've managed to get the front bumper off the car so I can get the CC rad mounted. However the water rad is in pretty poor condition so I've decided to order a new alloy one while the car is as it is now :thumleft:

While the bumper is off it will be re-sprayed as there are a couple of cracks in the paint work.. Luckily there is a body shop 2 doors down from my work :D

How the car looks at the mo

vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

I have enough bits to get the charge cooler setup installed into the car. All I'll need is some 90degree bends (19mm) but untill the pipe work run is done I don't know how many I need to order. Also I'll need to order the Mikalor clamps for the 19mm hose

I have also managed to get a black roof lining including light and sun visors, 2 black t-bar shades, a HKS SSQV, an alloy rad, an injector resistor pack (to save cutting the plug on the original) and a standard gear shifter to replace the short shifter I'm not keen on

Gonna be a busy afternoon lol

Tomorrow I should have a heat shield ( the one that goes under the boot floor and above the exhaust) from Ade@mr2bitz so I can get the exhaust back on the car :thumleft:
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Spent some time removing redundant wiring and tidying up the wiring around the ecu. I also removed the brackets off a rev3 n/a ecu I had lying around, fitted them to the power FC and got that bolted neatly back onto the car instead of the cable ties that were on it when I got the car lol
It's not perfect but it's 100% better than it was

I've also removed the home made blue rubber seal from the cutout and fitted some boot seal I had spare which does a much better job

Drained the coolant and removed the old rad. I found the rad carrier was almost hanging off on one side so I took it off and re-welded it on both sides then painted it in Matt black (had some lying around)

Got the new rad fitted and replaced the jubilee clips for the hoses

Had a chat with Nathan (Mrtwos) about the chargecooler setup and I think I've got it in my head now

The reducing elbow I was waiting for has now arrived so I can crack on with finishing the CC setup as soon as I get time

Couple of pics

Got the basic 'air' pipe work layout finished now for the CC setup

I've got the 19mm water pipe work to do next. Instead of buying elbows for the pipe work I'm going to make my own using chrome plated 22mm copper pipe. This will mean I have less restriction :thumleft: Just waiting for my 'P' clips to arrive

The heat shield I got off Ade was looking a little old and tatty so I cleaned it off, gave it a couple of coats of Hammerite and a nice final coat of orange ( I wonder how long it will last with the heat off the exhaust)

Before

After
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

This is a beautiful build, well done. Sub'd to see the progress
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Coming along nicely Vinny... You have done loads bud.
Still kicking myself I was talked into clearing space but hey :) .. Good to see it getting ready for the road. 100% be seeing it this summer again at JAE or something if you are going. I'm heading down to Fensport within the next few weeks so I may say hello for 10mins on my way back home if you are about.

(Btw the turbo was made my CR turbos.. Just remembered. It's them who made the turbos for "the HULK" SVM's Demo GTR.)

Keep it up mate.. Genuinely can't wait til you have this running and hear that thing spool haha you will be grinning cheek to cheek
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Very interested to see the results of this :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Great project mate, tuned in. :D
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

It's coming along nicely :thumleft:
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Cheers guys :thumleft: I'ts taking longer than I wanted but its getting there slowly

Stayed over after work for a couple of hours last night and had an hour or so this morning. Managed to get the heat shield on. Got the water pipe work for the CC from the boot, under the car and into the frunk ready to be taken through the frunk and attached to the pre-rad
I've wrapped the pipe work in heat reflective tape. They are close to the coolant lines but I'll see how they go :thumleft:

We had a few pipe clips left over off a job so I've used a couple for the pipe work in the boot

Got the boot carpet fitted and cleaned and re-fitted the core in place. I've cut the carpet and left the excess on for now so the pipe work just pushes through it and most of the hole is still covered up. I've bought a 1m length of 70mm silicone pipe to use as a sleeve for the straight alloy pipes that go through the hole. This will protect the pipe going through the hole and also protect it as it passes over the ignition leads. I'll get this fitted when I know I've got everything in place :) Nothing is clamped at the moment until I'm happy with everything

The core came with 2 X 3/4" straight connectors for the water pipe work but I'm replaceing these with elbows to save on extra joints :thumleft:

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Good skills :thumleft:

I need to wrap my CC water pipes when I fab the remaining flat underbody panels.
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

In between work + turning my van into a camper/day van ive managed to do a little bit since the last post

Got the pre rad for the CC fitted to the car using homemade brackets out of some stainless we had

Removed the grey headlining, interior light, sun visors and t-bar shades and replace with black. Replaced a couple of interior plastics and fitted new clips where missing

Today I fitted my evo recaro's using SW20 recaro rails. Still had to mod the rails slightly to fit both seats and car together

synXero

Post by synXero »

They'd go well in my steed. Let me know if you ever sell 'em.

Return to “Member Profiles”