10th Anniversary Edition - Turbo Project

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rory

10th Anniversary Edition - Turbo Project

Post by Rory »

I'm starting this thread to track the build on my newest project. In my 10 years of MR2 ownership Ive never owned a t-bar. So a few months ago I decided to keep my eye out and buy one. Now after months of looking I haven't found anything that has been decent. This weekend I spotted a nice (and realistically priced) MR2. Only problem is that its not a turbo :cry:

For the price though I've decided to buy it and its now mine :D Ive got to say the NA (first time ive really driven one) totally lacks any power. I thought they were a little faster. The car is in ok condition. Needs a bit of bodywork but here are the plans......

At the moment the plan is to break my Yellow Rev 3 Turbo. It's a shame as the car is one of the nicest tin tops left but its sacrificing itself for a good cause. Luke @ pacific works is going to take care of the engine transfer (and maybe a bling package :wink: ).

Once the car is mechanically sorted (coilovers, wheels, 3SGTE conversion) etc then its on to the bodywork....... now I could just have the bumper resprayed and a couple of the scabs sorted but Ive decided to go the whole way. A complete strip down and full respray in silver.

Watch this thread..... I plan on having one of the nicest and best condition Mk2 t-bar turbos (and maybe the only genuine 10th anniversary turbo??) in the UK.

Say hello to the new project -

And goodbye to a very nice Rev 3 turbo tin top :oops:

craig

Re: 10th Anniversary Edition - Turbo Project

Post by craig »

I'm in the same position mate, I miss my old T bar and fancy buying a black rev5 T bar and effectively swapping everything over to it from my rev3.

Good luck with the project :thumleft:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

This is going to be special! \:D/

Might even sling on one of our new 4 point underbraces 8)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

you'll never want to own another tin top again, t-bars off is amazing, especially in tunnels!!! :thumleft: :thumleft:

i couldn't have anything but a t-bar :thumleft:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

I couldn't have anything other than tintop!
Rory

Post by Rory »

Skywalker wrote:This is going to be special! \:D/

Might even sling on one of our new 4 point underbraces 8)

I really hope so mate! It's booked in for the respray already at the end of December. Thinking of the standard silver with a very very slight blue tint in the lacquer to give it a special look in the sunshine.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Personally I think your yellow turbo is way cooler, especially with your white wheels. Also, how would your anniversary car be a genuine anniversary turbo when it wasn't ever a turbo?

That said, it will be a nice car. Is the yellow shell solid? Seems a bit of a shame!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Personally I think your yellow turbo is way cooler, especially with your white wheels. Also, how would your anniversary car be a genuine anniversary turbo when it wasn't ever a turbo?

That said, it will be a nice car. Is the yellow shell solid? Seems a bit of a shame!
Rory

Post by Rory »

Rob wrote:Personally I think your yellow turbo is way cooler, especially with your white wheels. Also, how would your anniversary car be a genuine anniversary turbo when it wasn't ever a turbo?

It's going to be a genuine anniversary edition with a turbo transplant. The fate of the yellow one is not decided yet. Obviously it will be losing its coilovers/wheels and rear clip but it may be saved and put back on the road as an NA? Who knows..... watch this space
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

The yellow one will be staying on the road :thumleft:

It's far to nice to strip.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Is it wrong to say that I prefer the yellow one a lot more, and sort of agree that you will devalue the anniversary edition as it will no longer be standard :oops: I've always had a soft spot for the yellow ones though!

On the plus side you've got yourself two very nice cars there.
When the grey one gets resprayed are you looking at doing it in the original colour?

Any other future mods lined up?

Intrigued to see how this progresses, good luck :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Rory

Post by Rory »

The anniversary one only cost £800 so I doubt there's much more to devalue it. I'm not doing it to make money anyway. The plan is to build something special to keep. I'm going to keep it silver but maybe with a slightly blue tinted lacquer to give it a unique lOok on sunny days
Rob

Post by Rob »

Skywalker wrote:The yellow one will be staying on the road :thumleft:

That is the correct answer!

Might as well bung another rev3 GTE in it for ho little they cost nowadays....and remember that if you put an N/A in it then you will still pay the insurance premium of the Turbo car.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Go whole hog and make the yellow one really different by tyre levering a V8 in there :twisted: lol
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
craig

Post by craig »

Rob wrote:

Might as well bung another rev3 GTE in it for ho little they cost nowadays....and remember that if you put an N/A in it then you will still pay the insurance premium of the Turbo car.

Why's that? The logic doesn't figure there. Put a turbo lump in an NA and you don't pay the same insurance as an NA.

Why would you pay turbo insurance on a converted turbo to NA?
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

RedMR² wrote:
Rob wrote:

Why's that? The logic doesn't figure there. Put a turbo lump in an NA and you don't pay the same insurance as an NA.

Because the car will still be a modified turbo. The insurance company will base the premium based on the base cars risk (a turbo) with an additional premium added for it being modified, exactly the same as they do with an N/A.

You know insurance companies will never do anything to reduce the premium of a car.
Zeiretto

Post by Zeiretto »

The yellow one looks immaculate! It'll be more special than any silver car. :lol:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Super_red wrote:
RedMR² wrote:
Rob wrote:

Because the car will still be a modified turbo. The insurance company will base the premium based on the base cars risk (a turbo) with an additional premium added for it being modified, exactly the same as they do with an N/A.

You know insurance companies will never do anything to reduce the premium of a car.

Exactly.

Which is why my 1993 UK N/A with a 1994 3SGTE Turbo engine costs me £220 a year to insure \:D/
Nick Bryant

Post by Nick Bryant »

:mrgreen: :thumleft: \:D/
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Rob wrote:Which is why my 1993 UK N/A with a 1994 3SGTE Turbo engine costs me £220 a year to insure \:D/

With all mods over an N/A declared? Bargain!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”