www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Suggestion - banned members...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Club News and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KarlBristol




Joined: 02 Aug 2013
Posts: 2962
Location: Bristol
Feedback Score: 33

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 V6

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Suggestion - banned members... Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I keep seeing threads pop up where decent members on here are being fleeced by a few hookey people. I may be wrong but it does seem to be like the seem suspect people again and again.

Therefore in the interests of our premium members safety I was wondering therefore if we could start a separate section where we have a list of banned users/user names...

Also would it legally be possible to post up known scammers names, addresses and telephone numbers in order to try and keep our members safe and well educated on who to avoid?

I think this would also avoid a lot of threads in the off topic section which generally go along the lines of - "I've been scammed by Mr X - does anyone have his address or telephone number"

Maybe after 5 years on said list their details would drop off unless they are deemed to be an ongoing issue - this would therefore cover us under the data protection act aspect of things [thumleft]



Just an idea [thumleft]
Back to top
User is offline 
alanmr2turbo




Joined: 28 Nov 2007
Posts: 2238
Location: Birmingham
Feedback Score: 10



PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

you wont get scammed if you

1. Stop paying things via gift payment through PayPal
2. Never send money by bank transfer
3 Pay the 4% PayPal fees

Follow those 3 rules and hey presto you're covered and wont get scammed.

Or maybe a rule of the forum should be ALL for sale post must include a price INCLUDING the 4% PayPal fees
Back to top
User is offline 
KarlBristol




Joined: 02 Aug 2013
Posts: 2962
Location: Bristol
Feedback Score: 33

1991 Toyota MR2 Mk2 V6

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I personally havent lost any money through the forum and I agree exactly with what youve said... Im just thinking of how to physically educate our members and ensure that they are safe [thumleft]

I still maintain that a "hit list" of banned members is the way forward


Last edited by KarlBristol on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
User is offline 
Tsia




Joined: 23 Sep 2011
Posts: 1569
Location: Milton Keynes
Feedback Score: 6

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Please don't enforce PayPal! [Sad]

Some of us don't use it, either because they can't or simply don't like the PayPal service. I'm all for stopping scamming, but surely there's got to be a better method than that. I'll get my thinking hat on!
Back to top
User is offline 
madbasshunter




Joined: 16 May 2009
Posts: 2029
Location: Cullompton
Feedback Score: 96

1991 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I paid for an item by pay pal, paid the fees and got scammed, opened a dispute so the seller said they would refund. They didnt refund but because they had told paypal and me they would, pay pal would no longer get involved and I lost over ?100 [Sad]
So in my experience pay pal gives you no cover.
Back to top
User is offline 
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 10507
Location: South Yorkshire
Feedback Score: 18

2002 Noble M500

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

alanmr2turbo wrote:
you wont get scammed if you

1. Stop paying things via gift payment through PayPal
2. Never send money by bank transfer
3 Pay the 4% PayPal fees

Follow those 3 rules and hey presto you're covered and wont get scammed.

Or maybe a rule of the forum should be ALL for sale post must include a price INCLUDING the 4% PayPal fees


And might i add, ALWAYS despatch goods by a method that is signed for - courier, Recorded or Special Delivery.
Back to top
User is offline 
Tsia




Joined: 23 Sep 2011
Posts: 1569
Location: Milton Keynes
Feedback Score: 6

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:


And might i add, ALWAYS despatch goods by a method that is signed for - courier, Recorded or Special Delivery.


100% agree on this front! That way there's no wriggling out of things. Unfortunately, there are lots of horror stories about PayPal, so whilst a lot of people get on with it just fine, I'd really like us not to go down the eBay route of forcing it upon people. I thankfully haven't been scammed myself, but I've only really bought from quite active members of the community, but I suppose anybody could be a scammer at the end of the day.

I suppose it's in the nature of selling things, there's always some bu88er that wants to have their cake and eat it. [Evil or Very Mad]
Back to top
User is offline 
Charged
IMOC Committee



Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 8893
Location: Herts
Feedback Score: 18

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1.5 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I apply the technique of applying common sense, has worked pretty well for me in past!

However this is not full-proof these days
_________________
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Back to top
User is offline 
synXero




Joined: 28 May 2010
Posts: 3781
Location: London, Edinburgh, or the Highlands!
Feedback Score: 34

2004 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

The IMOC feedback system is in place for exactly this?

Surely all these rip off merchants must have -23 feedback?
Back to top
User is offline 
crenda




Joined: 06 Jul 2011
Posts: 80
Location: Blackpool
Feedback Score: 6

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Sorry to hi jack this thread guys but Peter Gidden can you please pm me!!
Back to top
User is offline 
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser



Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 10507
Location: South Yorkshire
Feedback Score: 18

2002 Noble M500

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

crenda wrote:
Sorry to hi jack this thread guys but Peter Gidden can you please pm me!!


PM'ed.
Back to top
User is offline 
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser



Joined: 30 Aug 2009
Posts: 1414
Location: lincolnshire
Feedback Score: 5

1989 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I have been scammed on here to not alot but I used the feedback system to see he had traded before, used paypal and paid fee's but due to my common decency and them saying he was having family issues over Christmas I left it and awaited a bit more time but by the time we had reached a point of where I knew I was never going to get the side skirts or my money it had passed the time that paypal allow you to claim funds back.

I took it on the chin and was more annoyed he wasn't just honest about the side skirts in the first place.
_________________


Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
Back to top
User is offline 
Charged
IMOC Committee



Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 8893
Location: Herts
Feedback Score: 18

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1.5 Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

synXero wrote:
The IMOC feedback system is in place for exactly this?

Surely all these rip off merchants must have -23 feedback?


Nope, we've had previously banned members signing back up, trading, getting feedback and then messing people about.
Back to top
User is offline 
Tsia




Joined: 23 Sep 2011
Posts: 1569
Location: Milton Keynes
Feedback Score: 6

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

charged wrote:
synXero wrote:
The IMOC feedback system is in place for exactly this?

Surely all these rip off merchants must have -23 feedback?


Nope, we've had previously banned members signing back up, trading, getting feedback and then messing people about.


Perhaps it's some sort of extra verifcation we need to allow people to start trading, even as premium members. I'd suggest a scan of some sort of ID, but I suppose they could use anyone's details. [Confused]
Back to top
User is offline 
Charged
IMOC Committee



Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 8893
Location: Herts
Feedback Score: 18

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1.5 Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Tsia wrote:


Perhaps it's some sort of extra verifcation we need to allow people to start trading, even as premium members. I'd suggest a scan of some sort of ID, but I suppose they could use anyone's details. [Confused]


It's almost impossible to weed them all out.
Back to top
User is offline 
hmltnangel




Joined: 03 May 2011
Posts: 669
Location: Livingston
Feedback Score: 17

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

loudandproud205 wrote:
I have been scammed on here to not alot but I used the feedback system to see he had traded before, used paypal and paid fee's but due to my common decency and them saying he was having family issues over Christmas I left it and awaited a bit more time but by the time we had reached a point of where I knew I was never going to get the side skirts or my money it had passed the time that paypal allow you to claim funds back.

I took it on the chin and was more annoyed he wasn't just honest about the side skirts in the first place.


Tip for paypal .....

If like your case - the transaction occurred more than 45 days ago, Call your bank ..... if you paid by debit card through paypal and not recieved - they will do a chargeback to paypal for it and leave paypal to chase the dodgy dealer. Only time this doesnt work is if you pay by 'paypal balance' hence I never leave any funds in there.
Back to top
User is offline 
Draven




Joined: 10 Feb 2006
Posts: 14955
Location: One of the Hamptons.
Feedback Score: 43



PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I've not yet been scammed on here.


I generally only buy from people who are well known on the forum. [thumleft]

If it isn't some one who is well known I'd never buy something expensive.
Back to top
User is offline 
Tsia




Joined: 23 Sep 2011
Posts: 1569
Location: Milton Keynes
Feedback Score: 6

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Draven wrote:

If it isn't some one who is well known I'd never buy something expensive.


Or if you do, go and collect [Very Happy]
Back to top
User is offline 
toxo
IMOC Committee



Joined: 30 May 2006
Posts: 11256
Location: The Toast Aisle
Feedback Score: 53

2010 Jaguar XF-R

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Draven wrote:
I've not yet been scammed on here.


I generally only buy from people who are well known on the forum. [thumleft]

If it isn't some one who is well known I'd never buy something expensive.


Makes note... must scam next time...
_________________
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Back to top
User is offline 
Draven




Joined: 10 Feb 2006
Posts: 14955
Location: One of the Hamptons.
Feedback Score: 43



PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

toxo wrote:
Draven wrote:
I've not yet been scammed on here.


I generally only buy from people who are well known on the forum. [thumleft]

If it isn't some one who is well known I'd never buy something expensive.


Makes note... must scam next time...



[Twisted Evil] I have one thing to say...


I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE...


That is all.
Back to top
User is offline 
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> Club News and Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group