Kitcar Project - MR2 the Donor

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

killerferret666

Kitcar Project - MR2 the Donor

Post by killerferret666 »

I did originally start this project thread on another mr2 forum, but im visiting it far less and they moved the thread to a members only section :roll: to stop the auto pruning getting to it and as I'm only using the other forum now when using google cache. I thought id move my project thread to here as I can direct friends to it. This and my blog will be the only places im updating now. Apologises for the 3 updates in one go :D

So I thought I should start a thread here instead. Its going to be a long project with updates spaced quite far apart.

Overview

To strip a donor MR2 to be built on to a tubular chassis kit car, the parts required;

* Suspension system
* braking system
* Engine & gearbox
* Steering system inc PAS
* electronics

this is obviously very generalised :D

so I bought a donor vehicle which is a 1992 turbo model with some minor mods, to date I have been stripping parts off to sell and secondly to make it easier to work on the car. As I go ill be having parts reconditioned and every bush I can replaced.

Strip 1; front suspension

So i came to strip the car of its front suspension and it become clear quite soon something was a miss. This car had a rev1 suspension setup one side and a rev2+ the other side. thats one way to confuse a person to a new car (as well as 3 yellow blistein shocks and a black toyota one!!). :facepalm: So once that was cleared up I confirmed I needed a rev1 threaded rod type suspension. So I removed it and first of all worked on making sure the whole thread was free of rust and then secondly burnt out the current bush, its now ready to be shot blasted and powder coated.

As well as this the anti sway bar was removed, drop links (if required) will be new. I also removed both hubs. This is an ABS car, so the first abs sensor came out so thought nothing of it. 2nd...snap... :ranting1: Ill judge whether the car will have ABS as I go, more research I've done says to ditch it as it was poor. Id previously had race logic traction control so I probably would find it poor.

Both front hubs have now gone off to have the bearings removed and will then also go off for shot blasting and powder coating (lower ball joints will be replaced). Pics will follow in this area as I get the bits back.

Strip 2; brakes

Being a kit car, I want to make sure as much as possible I can stop and avoid incidents. A kitcar is not a car to have a crash in. I researched options on this and have decided to perform an upgrade and use 200sx 4 pot calipers with uk Supra TT discs for the front and rx8 discs with mr2 brakes. This should give me an upgraded stopping power on a car close to half the weight.

Both sets of calipers have gone off to be fully refurbished and powder coated at Big Redd. Looking forward to getting these back, they will then be mounted with Gaz's adapters.

Strip 1; Steering system

So the first was to drop the rack out and also drop a load of the PAS fluid on to myself :blush: Once I had come up for air, again I made sure all the threads on the rack were no longer rust ridden, best way I found of doing this was to use a nut and just work it back and forth down the thread, slowly cutting it back out. This is what the rack looked like when taken out.

One of my areas regarding this project is getting everything looking clean again and refurbished. Rust is something I want to sto pand see, so used a product called rust convertor. You first of all wire brush the surface and remove lumps and bumps and then paint 2 coats on of this paint. It acts like a primer as well if you so require. I then had to make a choice, do I go for a nice shiny silver or a galvanised silver, which wont shine like OEM but will give me a longer hopefully cleaner car. Below is the outcome (you can see bottom right I didnt get enough of the rust off...was pretty angry with myself over this)

as well as this;
Powersteering pump - out and refurbished
Reservoir - out and refurbished
Pipe work - all out and refurbished
Electronics - still in the car

I now have all the mecanical bits / hardware to the PAS packaged up and being stored. Next was the steering column. So first I had to drop the lower dash and remove the swivel joint off the other end of the column so I could remove the whole steering column included tilt etc..., this is what it looked like.

This was a tricky one for it, I used a paint brush to remove fluff but I didnt want to remove too much of the grease, so I cleaned it up as previously and below is the outcome. The part I left was greased up for movement, but because of the light surface rust I will probably take apart and remove the rust and paint it further.

The eagle eyed will of spotted a 1 on the wiring. Quite simply I am using a numbering system on all wiring. If its on the loom it may have 'ignition 1' and on the ignition just a 1...well its attached to the ignition :clapping:

No number is used twice. This is for the wiring at the end, my weakest point of all. I do hate wiring but after removing a supra dash to change a heater matrix and that included many many connectors ill cope.

Current status

Firstly the biggest advantage with this taking a long time is keeping an eye out for bargains. So far they've included wheel bearings and a bush kit at very low prices. bad part is not having the space to have a donor car and the new tubular chassis at the same time. I suppose the advantage to this is that once all of it is off the car and clean. the new build should be Mclaren style in a nice clean garage...hmmm maybe :blink:

I've started to remove the rear hubs and components to the rear suspension, however I will need to find a car dolly now to move the car around first without one of them I will grind to a halt soon.

Once the suspension is off, the cooling system will be removed, prior to the engine.
killerferret666

Re: Kitcar Project - MR2 the Donor

So I've checked and all i require from the cooling system is the Radiator and fans, so I removed them expecting the radiator to of taken a fair few hits but to my surprise it was in very good condition, so I tidied it up and created a stencil and put it to one side.

Next the fan shrouds were in Poor condition with surface rust, so required wire brushes, wire wool scrubbing and then finally painting with rust convertor. This then restored the look further, I still may long term replace the fan with some similar after market jobbies as this makes the radiator assembly quite bulky!

killerferret666

As I mentioned all bushes and anything I can do to improve handling will be done. So new ball joints too... They've arrived.

So yesterday and today I stripped out the loom, the one I removed was in the cabin. Now I won't wire in a sound system till after the IVA and also not with stock wiring. So I wanted to remove the wiring, all the wires in the below pic behind the seats were for audio or door shut sensors, other than 1.

2 hours later and alot of patience...

I was going to remove all the aircon wiring as well, but decided against it. Wiring isn't my area and I don't want to fiddle too much, all I've removed so far I know can't cause an issue in the running of the car.

Reason for removal... Weight, it's the cheapest way to increase acceleration and also keep reliability.
killerferret666

I've since removed one driveshaft and suspension. This to me looks bent, can anyone confirm ??

If so, does anyone have one :D lol

Secondly on the offisde, the driveshaft has not played ball at all today....with a total of 3hours trying to remove it from the hub!! Heat, mallet, wood and hammer, prising it out....nothing would shift it.... Not sure what to try next other then take it off the car and take it to a garage to separate.

Following that I need to decide whether to get a rev 3+ subframe, I've read these have improved handling and wonder if I will benefit from it.

Also the car has a field ECU in it, anyone know much about them. the car is a rev2 if that helps.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Nice, any pictures of the Tubular chassis yet?
killerferret666

Steve-O 2007 wrote:Nice, any pictures of the Tubular chassis yet?

I can only pull images from the kit car providers pages. the kit is from an american company, so im concentrating on getting the majority of the parts off the MR2 and ready first. Trying not to rush it just to start putting it on to the car unrestored and not properly treated.

Im hoping to clear the garage once fully stripped so its almost a clean area as I refit the parts....well thats the plan :lol:

killerferret666

I got the refurbished calipers back and very happy with them. They have had all the pistons replaced, all bolts, all seals and then powder coated. they will be now stored.

I'm waiting on some braided lines and fitting brackets which will be packaged away with the brakes. The hubs are off being powder coated and hopefulyl soon will have the new bearing in as well.

All the suspension I need is now off the car (other than the subframe) and the bent arm replacement sourced. they are all off to be shot blasted and powder coated now.

Today I started to disconnect everything I needed ready to drop the engine. wiring looms, coolant pipes, fuel pipes etc...

Made good progress surprisingly. My sticking point currently in the project is one rear hub which still has the driveshaft attached as its going to need pressing out.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Nice one- this could be sweet :thumleft:

You got a link to the kit manufacturer's website?

I too had a lot of difficulty getting the drive shaft out of one of my hubs the first time, apparently they use a type of locking compound when they assemble them at the factory. I got it really hot, then had another go - seemed to break it out ok...hth :thumleft:
killerferret666

ashman wrote:Nice one- this could be sweet :thumleft:

You got a link to the kit manufacturer's website?

I too had a lot of difficulty getting the drive shaft out of one of my hubs the first time, apparently they use a type of locking compound when they assemble them at the factory. I got it really hot, then had another go - seemed to break it out ok...hth :thumleft:

Website is www.ddrmotorsport.com

I tried heat, not sure how hot I got it but I spent 4 hrs trying so hopefully press will work.
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

this is gona be sweet!!
killerferret666

I have a friend who is powder coating parts for me. He has done the front hubs now which will now go off to have the front bearings fitted.

He also now has 4 suspension corners, 2x rev1 front suspensions and 2 rear arms. (thanks to people who I've bought parts off following bent items on the car)

Once the hubs and suspension is back, I will fit the new bushes and then put each corner loosely together....why....so I know the bolts arent lost and are in their right positions.

I'm just trying to find the right way to clean the bolts at the moment so they look newer.

In other work I'e done;

The engine is almost ready to drop. I just have the subframe and engine mounts to undo as well as the fuel filter. I don't have an engine crane / Hoist so weighing up what to do. I have a friend who is opening his own garage so may wait a little amount of time and he can come over drop it and take it to his garage for the engine work.

(cleanup, new water pump, headgasket etc...)

I've also been reading the IVA document a lot to make sure im very clue'd up on the stringent test!
tonigmr2

Post by tonigmr2 »

Wow massive work mate, and really interesting!

What you expecting re: timing?
killerferret666

tonigmr2 wrote:Wow massive work mate, and really interesting!

What you expecting re: timing?

It is big work but Ive wanted to build a car since I was around 10 and at 29 this is probably the perfect point in my life to do so.

My limiting factor regarding time is actually space! until ive stripped the mr2 enough that im happy to dump the shell outside i cant order the kit.

I actually expect ill of stripped all i know i require well before xmas but I will probably order the kit around xmas which means it would arrive end of feb time.

I will then build the rolling chassis meeting IVA standards which again will take I think 3 months and then into the body shop to have that sprayed and then fully tidied up.

I'll be happy if I'm ready fro an IVA test by end of next August
killerferret666

Just wanted to update to say. I've setup a blog and doing all updates on there.

Some of my updates don't seem appropriate for an MR2 forum so if your interested may be worth just following the blog.

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

On plus side dropped the engine by myself, pretty happy with myself as didnt have a crane to hand either due to space. :(

smartdj

Post by smartdj »

Nice build bud.
killerferret666

I thought as id hit a key stage with the engine id post a pic of the work. Pretty happy with it, from what a mess it was.

My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
george_m

Post by george_m »

you are getting there then, have you bought the kit yet ?
I am very interested to see what its like

George
killerferret666

sorry didn't spot your post. The kit I bought ages ago and delivery has been a bit slow but it is finally on its way! i'll post more pictures when it arrives.

killerferret666

With the latest picture of delivery, made me realise how far ive got to go!

philmr2

Post by philmr2 »

That is going to be one nice looking car when its finished :thumleft:

Looking forward to seeing more pics as it gets further down the line.

Return to “Project Cars”