[Suggestion] IMOC Mobile!

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsia

[Suggestion] IMOC Mobile!

Post by Tsia »

I think it's fair to say a few of us access the website from mobile devices, being as it's 2012. Would there be any chance at some point in the future of integrating the PHPBB mobile system into IMOC?

I don't know if there's only a few of us (or even if it's just me!) that do, but it's bit of a pig to navigate in it's 'full' version. It would be awesome if this could be considered! ♥
juliankv73

Re: [Suggestion] IMOC Mobile!

Post by juliankv73 »

+2

My computer is fried and I access now only on my iPhone!! So a mobile version of this site would be cool!!

I access Toyota owners club on a mobile site already

C'mon guys is it do-able??
craig

Post by craig »

+3 for IMOC app! :mrgreen:
JayUK91

Post by JayUK91 »

Perhaps a simple solution would be to allow IMOC to work with Tapatalk.

I often browse IMOC through my phone in standard form, and I think it's absolutely fine (I do have a big-screen smartphone though).

I don't personally use Tapatalk, but many people out there do.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Oh dear god I hope not. I hate Tapatalk, and I hate the way that websites who use it always let you know with a big clickable notice everytime you visit the website via the iPhone. It's perfectly easy to navigate phpBB forums via smartphone, I genuinely can't see why people struggle with it.

It really is fine as it is, and given the move away from phpBB is (possibly) imminent, I can't see any point in any time being spent on this. Just my 2p, YMMV etc.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I'm using mine on a 4.3" screen, which as far as phone screens go is fairly big. There's another forum I browse often at the same time as IMOC which is optimised for mobile, so when I'm in a low signal area it loads much quicker.

The 'issue' is the fact it could be better. No more zooming to make sure I tap precisely, faster loading, low bandwidth pages, the list goes on.

It won't affect the regular forum when you're on your PC, so it's a win-win situation for all if it happens! :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

The short answer is, we can't do it on the old forum software. We were hoping to have a new forum online around a year ago, but got let down by the web developer.

Work is still ongoing, so if we do get to the point of having a new forum, then it could well be a possibility, but unfortunately we can't do anything until we get the new forum online.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Awesome, browsing on my phone at the moment at work where I get no decent signal.. 3-4 minutes per page! :P

I'll keep my fingers crossed!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Tsia wrote:Awesome, browsing on my phone at the moment at work where I get no decent signal.. 3-4 minutes per page! :P

wtf!! There's no 3g here and it still only takes at most 20 seconds to load...

We do keep the forum pretty low bandwidth, that's why we have rules about the size of avatars and signatures, no banner ads, etc. This entire page is under 300kb.

You could always set your mobile browser not to download images.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

Since getting an iPhone that's all I use to view the forum. I have no issue with page loading times unless their are several images and I have poor 3G coverage. Even then we are talking 10-20 seconds loading times. I like the layout and wouldn't want to loose any functionality by having a simplified version on my phone (the restrictions on the eBay App are a headache sometimes). I really don't feel a mobile version for the sites required and if their was one, I wouldn't use it. :thumleft:
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

toxo wrote:
Tsia wrote:Awesome, browsing on my phone at the moment at work where I get no decent signal.. 3-4 minutes per page! :P

wtf!! There's no 3g here and it still only takes at most 20 seconds to load...

We do keep the forum pretty low bandwidth, that's why we have rules about the size of avatars and signatures, no banner ads, etc. This entire page is under 300kb.

You could always set your mobile browser not to download images.

I've already done that, but the place I work in is like a Faraday cage. It's a big sports complex in a huge metal building, in a tiny little office, so I get GPRS with a few bars of signal at best. Once I'm outside, it's all dandy though! :D

As before, one of the reasons for enquiring about this was simply the 'simplicity' aspect, rather than zooming, logging in, moving the pages all over the shop etc, it'd all fit neatly on the screen and make life nice and easy to read away from home (should you choose to). Only of course, if it's easy enough to implement with the new forum, whenever that may be.

Edit : Oh, and just so people that're voicing their 'I wouldn't use it' opinions, mobile sites are usually optional. So even if it was there, it would have no negative impact on you.

(Sorry if it's a bit of a grumpy post, 14 hour shift at work running around like mad without a break does this to me! :( )
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

Tsia wrote:

Edit : Oh, and just so people that're voicing their 'I wouldn't use it' opinions, mobile sites are usually optional. So even if it was there, it would have no negative impact on you.

(Sorry if it's a bit of a grumpy post, 14 hour shift at work running around like mad without a break does this to me! :( )

I appreciate it would be optional, I simply said I wouldn't use it as I'm happy to browse the full site. I personally can't see the need as I find Imoc fairly simple and fast to load. Get an iPhone, you'll understand!
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I've got a Desire HD, no need. ;)
MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

Tapatalk makes browsing the forum as easy as browsing text messages.

Its a far better way of viewing forums online. If its not possible at the moment then fine but its worth mobile users checking it out on other forums.

Also have a desire HD so no problems with screen size here :p
Lee8ballauto

Post by Lee8ballauto »

Have to agree tapatalk is brilliant app plus you can upload pics straight off your phone the the forums
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I've not actually used TapTalk for anything yet, just a simple mobile version of another site. Worth a look in though! :thumleft:
gavsdavs

imoc and tapatalk

Post by gavsdavs »

Bump for this, it would be very useful.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: imoc and tapatalk

Post by toxo »

gavsdavs wrote:Bump for this, it would be very useful.

I'm sure it would, but as explained above, it's not happening as the software we use doesn't support it.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I find the site works fine on my HTC One X better than the OC does :) as the sizing on IMOC is better.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I have to say, I've just swapped to a One X and now I'm working somewhere that isn't like a nuclear bunker in comparison, it's absolutely fine. It used to be a case of waiting 4-5 minutes per page to load and even then, it was a bit skewed and off, but now it's all pretty and quick to load. Oh well!

Return to “Club News and Announcements”