2.2Ltr 5SGTE 450Bhp Engine Build

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

W88NEE

2.2Ltr 5SGTE 450Bhp Engine Build

Post by W88NEE »

Hi everyone and welcome to my newly edited project.

I have been interested in building a 2.2Ltr 5SGTE engine for a long time, but there seems to be some conflicting info so hopefully this build will help fellow members. I will be adding to this thread during the build and Im happy for comments along the way.

I am building different parts of the car from Engine, Handling, Bodywork, Interior and ICE, so I will update each section to keep the continuty, I hope this helps.

I was originally looking to do this in a 10th anniversary car, however due to some changes I am concentrating on the engine and will update about the car later.

Please enjoy!!!

The Base Car:

To Be Confirmed

The Proposed Engine Build Spec:

- Toyota Camry 2.2ltr 1999 Engine Block with crankshaft, bored, honed, decked, oil squirter fabrication & thermal treatment (Now Blueprinted)
- Rev1 Turbo Sump and Pick Up
- Rev3 Turbo Head, surface grind, re-shim
- Custom Made aftermarket Cams
- Adjustable timing pulleys
- HKS Stopper Head Gasket
- Standard Caldina inlet manifold, extrude honed and polished for equal airflow
- Phenolic Rev3 Spacer
- Standard cast exhaust manifold, extrude honed and thermal treatment
- New King bearings all round, ceramic coated
- Wiesco 87.5mm Forged 8:3 compression pistons
- Eagle Forged rods
- ARP Main, Head and flywheel bolts
- Garrett GTX3076r turbo unit with 1bar tial wastegate V band
- Downpipe with re-routed screamer back to downpipe
- Japspeed Exhaust and de-cat
- Electronic Boost controller
- Wideband gauge
- Oil & Water gauges
- Three air temperature LCD's
- Exhaust EGT Temp sensors in exhaust manifold
- Top feed injectors and rail
- Fuel pressure regulator
- Walbro 255lb Fuel pump and braided lines
- Water injecton system to help supress detonation
- Barrell Charge Cooler
- Oil Micro filter and sandwich plate
- New Ignition components
- Syvecs ECU

- Full Polybush Set
- Nissan R32 4 Pot front calipers and rear brake brakets for larger discs
- CRN Drilled and grooved discs
- HEL Braided brake lines
- Braided clutch line
- TRD Rear brace
- TRD Front sway bar
- BC fully adjustable coilovers, custom red annodised
- Titanium home made heavy duty drop links
- Billet axle carriers/cv joints

Engine:

Block Comparrisons
I thought it would be useful just to show some differences between a 3SGTE and and 5SFE Camry Block.

3SGTE on the left 5SFE on the right

3SGTE Bottom End

5SFE Bottom End

3SGTE Top showing water jacket

5SFE Top, notice that fabrication of the water jacket will be required to marry to the head water jackets. Simply done with a good drill and time.

3SGTE Block

5SFE Block

3SGTE Block - Ignore the red circles I was just noting the differences although the bolt holes are not required.

5SFE Block

Some updated pics of the build after the blueprinting of the 5SFE block and crank starting the rebuild, taking things slow and steady.

The pistons after balancing, matching the weights of rod and piston and the rings gapped to specification.

Crank now gone in and torqued down

Piston and rod one goes in and caps put on.

All pistons in and everything spinning freely. Shiny!!!!!!

Oil Pump gone in

5S Crank seal and carrier has to be used

Now for the head and custom cams and hours of shimming to the smaller end of the tollerences.

Block with the ARP head studs

HKS Stopper gasket now on

Head now gone on

Just the head

Rotating Assembly done and head put on

Modifications to the water and oil lines, oil pick up and a bit more shimming up just to get the clearances perfect.

Handling:

Suspension
A special order from BC as I wanted to have red anodised collars and although they have come with a pair of drop links, I will upload shortly some home made droplinks made from titanium and heavy duty rose joints.

Brakes

A really important factor in this build was to have the stopping power, especially considering the power plant goals. So I sourced from some great members on here some adapter brackets allowing me to run bigger calipers and discs on the front and bigger discs on the rear.

I picked up some front calipers that will replace the standard MR2 front calipers. These brakes are 4 pot calipers that come from a S14 Nissan 200SX bought for £40. Each caliper weighs 11lbs (5Kg) opposed to the MR2 standard 13lbs (5.9Kg) so lighter too.

Obviously I didnt want my lovely MR2 to be branded as a Nissan (Only joking I like Nissan's) but I didnt want the Nissan branding on the calipers.

Some gently grinding (keep it clean) and some wet and dry sanding and no more Nissan signatures.

On inspection I thought it would be wise to replace all the seals costing me about £18 for the kit. With all bakes the pistons can get stuck from time to time, but normally penetrating oil and lots of patience they tend to come out............. all apart from 2 of them, so after some very careful drilling an tapping on the piston I was able to use a typical M10 bolt to wind that piston back out. Success!!! :D

This piston now became redundant so it gave me a good opportunity to call Big Red and order my new seal kit (£17) and two pistons (£12 for both) incidently these calipers use the same pistons as a Suburu.

Whist the calipers were stripped I decided to get the powder coated by my local shop so after some prep work and £25 they all came back nice and shiny as did my Big Red order. \:D/

As careful as the powder coaters were I had to clean up some of the threads and clean all of the chambers from the grit and dirt from the sandblasting, but an hour or two later and the rebuild started. A further 40 minutes and we are left with.......
As you can see in these images I am using an adapter bracket that I shall be painting black prior to fitment.

I have my standard rear calipers also refurbished and powder coated in red that I did last year (Shown in the following pic when I had these done) I shall also be using a bracket to push them further out from the centre of the wheel enhancing braking.

We shall see how well this set-up stops me now.

Bodywork:

Rear Light Panel
A walk to my local laser cutting shop with the rear centre panel and some ideas we have come up with a panel that has clear perspex letters to fit in the newly cut holes, backlit similar to the rare el-glow Rev1 badge.

Interior:

After we were home I started replacing the slightly tired carpets and grey roof lining with a jet black set from a previous turbo that I had to break, I think she looks far better in black.

Gauges
Thinking it will be important to monitor Air/Fuel ratio accuratly I have removed the standard voltage gauge and have retro fitted a digital Wideband gauge in this space. I took the opportunity to fit a carbon surround and chrome rings to brighten up the consol along with high intensity LED's, a reasonably simple and OEM stlye fit.

ICE:
Last edited by W88NEE on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Was MR2Turbo1991, but now changed name.

5SGTE Forged Build 2011/12
Build Thread: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... nniversary
Spidey

Re: 2.2Ltr 5SGTE 450Bhp Engine Build

Post by Spidey »

Very nice upgrades planned - and deserved in a 10th Anniversary model :clap:

Can I ask why you did not go with aftermarket cams ?

Are you doing the engine build yourself ?

I've a ST205CC on mine at the mo - but am planning to change to the below setup - just prefer access to / view of engine. Obviously you would need a side feed intake (ST215 Caldina below )

ashley

Post by ashley »

If you haven't bought the turbo yet have a chat with Chris first, he mentioned some interesting results with the GTX series turbos- may be something to note before purchasing. I'd also recommend careful choice of exhaust housing size depending on what sort of power you are hoping for!!

What ECU are you going with?

Looks to be an interesting project- I'm subscribed :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

You're going to need to do something about those rev1 clocks, your anniversary edition won't have a speedo cable! :D
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Hi people,

Thanks for the replies, I like that CC set-up although I am not so keen that air route is not so direct from the turbo to the inlet manifold. I will see how she performs with the ST205.
I wanted to keep the cams standard as the build im going for is designed more for torque and low end urgent response, other cams seem to raise the powerband but with the GTX in tow, when I did my maths on the turbo and cams it should really really pull hard.
Engine is being built by my fair hands, if it works is another question, haha :lol:

The rev1 clocks in the picture I made for my rev1, but never got fitted before my accident in it. I have transfered everything over to the rev3 unit, well spotted toxo.

I havent found much unofficial results on the gtx series so would be good to catch up with Chris. Who is Chris..... :oops:

I am running a Link3 ECU to manage the set-up, I just need to find a good localish tuner in Kent if anyone can recommend.

Thanks again guys. More pics to add shortly.

craig

Post by craig »

Excellent project fella, will be keeping tabs on this.

That illuminated MR2 badge, is that a rev 1/2 smooth center panel you've fitted it to? Are you fitting earlier lights?

All the best with the project :D
ashley

Post by ashley »

You got pm buddy :thumleft:
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Cheers Ashley, love your 5sgte build thread buddy.

The centre panel is a rev3, the one in the pic was a practice centre piece but I have had the laser cutting done on 3 panels to get it perfect. Thanks Red. :thumleft:

craig

Post by craig »

MR2Turbo1991 wrote:Cheers Ashley, love your 5sgte build thread buddy.

The centre panel is a rev3, the one in the pic was a practice centre piece but I have had the laser cutting done on 3 panels to get it perfect. Thanks Red. :thumleft:

Ah, I see, a perfectionist! :D

May steal your idea of carbon dial surround with chrome rings, like that 8)
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

Very nice mate, will be following your thread with interest. :)

It's great to see another anniversary getting some special treatment.
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

If you want to use any of the ideas your more than welcome, I only take it as a compliment. :thumleft:
Plus I probably got ideas from everyone else, haha.

Thanks I'm sorting through some pics to get some more engine comparison and build info soon. Plus I have a full carbon centre dash and steering column pics to share.

RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Wayne! Love the spec so far! im going to have to pop up soon and see how its coming along, you have done much more than i realised it seems! :O

And your clocks!! Jeez! can you do the same to mine? please?? :D
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Hey Ryan,

Yeah a few hours here and there have been getting her there. I will be uploading some more pics of the new 4 pot calipers strip down, powder coat and fit, suspension and polybush in a few days.

Give me your dash or get a spare and I can get one sorted for you only takes about 2ish hours. I need to upload a pic with the lights on as they are backlit by blue LED's and they look good with the chrome.

Just gagging to start the engine build part of this project and get some pics and a vid up of it.

W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

The brake write-up and pictures have been addded. Enjoy. :thumleft:

gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Looking great Wayne, looking forward to this thread continuing :thumleft:
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

Fantastic work on the brakes, first class

:thumleft:
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

awaiting update on this great buildand defo build pics of the engine as im doing something similar but not as extreme :thumleft:
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Sorry for the delay, I have a few pics ready to upload but it will be a few weeks as im waiting for some deliveries and some machining and I will do a big update.

Slight change to the build spec as I am looking at some form of barrell charge cooler opposed to the ST205 im thinking this could be a more direct flow of air from turbo to inlet manifold and be able to cope with cooling better. Plus my pretty rocker cover wont be covered, haha.

bling1981

Post by bling1981 »

Looking great Wayne very impressed have to take me for a spin when you get it sorted ;0) Ohh how I miss my 2

Jason
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Hi ya Jason,

Long time matey, well you can buy a little 2 and re live the good old days.

Of course I will take you for a spin, hopefully not literally. Haha

Return to “Project Cars”