Heavy rain problems

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

deejay

Heavy rain problems

Post by deejay »

Hey how you all doin? This is my first time- a virgin if you will- on th oc website!
I gotta bit of a problem with me mr2 :cry: . Its a jap import 1992/93 standard GT. In heavy rain my engine (when i hit roughly 3500- 4000 revs) seems to cut out, not totally, but almost, as if it is going to stall. but doesn't and then when the revs go back down to 2500-3000 its ok again. Funny thing is, it only seems to happen in heavy rain. Any ideas? I wondered about new leads?
Also :roll: , when she is wet on the ground, whenever i come to pull away, there is a single 'clunk' sound coming from the rear off-side wheel area. The brakes seem to be fine as do the shocks. Again any ideas?

Would appreciate any thoughts, cheers :idea:
Deejay
murf

Re: Heavy rain problems

Post by murf »

could be the dizzy cap is worn or your leads are knacked :D
Vindezal

Re: Heavy rain problems

Post by Vindezal »

and ure anti roll links need a bit tightening up or greasing! (the clonk) we all have this but its money to but new ones and labour
Mr2Madlad

Rain / wet problem engine loss of power

Post by Mr2Madlad »

Check your Alternator :!:

I had a similar problem with mine when engine revs were high my alternator would sort of cut out (not produce voltage to charge batt)

When return to idle or (slightly above) it sort of did but a bit under what I would expect.

Water seamed to make mine worse as drain vent lets water soak the alternator. Water and electricity don't go well together!

I think this causes the ECU to get upset and reduce boost / power due to all the voltage spikes when the alternator intermittently starts and stops workin, I stuck a new one on and it cured it.

The Noise could be the armature (spinning part inside) hitting the coils that surround it as they seam to split the Alu casing and creep when they get old, could also be shagged bearings.

Try measuring the voltage at batt when car is running (may req a person to slightly rev it) you should get 13.5 - 14 volts ish on a working one with engine running and revved if it's under 12.5 Volts change it

Yours may have a differant fault but worth checking. :)

Return to “Electrical”