Help please... subject bit is too small to explain! lol

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Help please... subject bit is too small to explain! lol

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Hello all

Well, I'm hoping someone can help. Basically, I've got cheap flip screen, all very nice. Apart from the fact its too wide, and the plastic dash won't fit over the sides :cry: Has anybody had this problem?

And as you know the stereos are held in with screws rather than a cage, so the screen must go in before the plastic dash goes on. I thought of mounting the cage in there but then I have the problem of, dash on, screen slips into the cage and I can never get either off again.

Someone tell me an easy way to sort the problem. Or any one got a flip screen for sale? I don't need the gizmos, all I need is 1 video IN. Don't care if its motorized or not.

Frustated luke :evil:
Ian Geary

Re: Help please... subject bit is too small to explain! lol

Post by Ian Geary »

first - I was fitting a stereo not a screen, but had similar problem.

Qu: if you fit the cage to the dash, and then the screen to the cage, don't you get 2 prong-like tools to enable you to remove the screen at a future point? You do with stereos - typically you slide one down each side of the stereo, which unclips it from the cage allowing you to withdraw it.

OK - assumme you don't have these and once your screen is in the cage it can never be removed.

What I did was to fit my stereo into the brackets with the screws, but first I physically removed the wide collar front of the stereo to enable the dash DIN slot to fit over it, and then replaced the front of the stereo.

I did this using a scew-driver to prize (read snap) open all the lugs, and once the front was removed I could see right into the electrics of the CD player. I wouldn't recommend this a it never went back on right, and is liable to fall off when I take out the stereo facia.

So, assumming you don't want to wreck your new screen by prizing off the wide bit, I'd suggest carefully widening the gap in your dashboard panel to allow it to fit around your screen, once you've screwed the screen in place.

You could usse a file, or small hacksaw, or dremel etc to widen it, trying to minimise damage and keep the hole as small as possible.

This might leave part of your dashboard exposed - but maybe the screen is wide enough to hide any gap? You also might be able to get hold of a universal collar to go around your screen once it's in place and hide any gap.

Finally, you could try and pick up a dash insert from a scrap yard to practice on, or to replace yours if any cutting looks awful.

If none of the above works, I'm afraid it's a case of locating a screen that is exactly the width of a DIN socket.

HTH

Ian
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: Help please... subject bit is too small to explain! lol

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Hey, cheers , mate! :D

I didn't know whether my post made any sense! clearly it did.

It sounds like your cd player. The kind of plastic collar around the player is also part of the front of the player(surrounds the buttons). And you can't get to the pins to remove it from the cage because the collar can't be moved! Its the last time I buy a cheap screen from Hong Kong off Ebay! lol :?

I did try removing the collar, but figured once it all back together in the car it'll never come out like you said.

The best solution that I can think of, use screw to hold the player to the brakets, slide the plastic dash over the back, fit into the car and drill holes through the plastic dash so you can get to the four screws that hold the brackets in place.

But, I've now seen a lovely screen, reputable make at a good price, and it'll match the cdplayer thats in there already. So I'm gonna buy another screen. (this one only cost me £100) and I'll flog the cheapo one on ebay. Or maybe I'll fit it in the glovebox if I get bored :P

Thanks again though

luke

Return to “ICE and Security”