[Mk2] [NA] The V12 Mk2 thread

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

[Mk2] [NA] The V12 Mk2 thread

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Ok this should be good, who'd like to see a V12 Mr2 being built?

I'm taking delivery of a V12 very soon for this very purpose, the V8 build was a challenge and will be completed as a road going car by JAE with only its bodywork left to do, so i need to get my teeth into something new.

Just like the V8 build i'm not shooting for mega BHP (you can do that with a 3s-gte) , i've got 350bhp in NA form with the V8, and expecting around 400bhp NA with the V12, so it won't be slow, but being done just to prove it can be.

It will also have a 6 speed box.

Discuss!
Rosssco

Re: [Mk2] [NA] The V12 Mk2 thread

Post by Rosssco »

I was going to say an Audi V12 would be useful, but they don't do them! W12? :lol: Being V12, I'd say BMW or Aston...

Given that you'll be running out of space (assuming londitudinal installation), you could start off with one of these 6-speed manual gearboxes:

I've got one that I was going to fit to an ABZ V8, but haven't got round to doing anything with it.. I calculated that it give an additional 3-4 inches of space over the gearbox your using in your mk1.8...
craig

Post by craig »

I'd love to see a V12 MK2 being built, so much so that I'll be keeping tabs on this thread as it develops.

:clap:

Any ideas on cost of the conversion *roughly, to Mr Public?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yes it will be the BMW 850 motor, Ross i'm intrigued by that gearbox, where is the output stub on the passenger side? I can only see a drivers side output?

EDIT: is it that hole with the 3 bolt holes around it?

Cheers Red, you KNOW it'll happen :D

EDIT: cost will never make this a public conversion, it's only for me, or possibly a lambo rep owner with more money than sense! The V8 stands me £10k so i guess around the same, not factoring in a penny of labour of course.
Last edited by PW@Woodsport on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
craig

Post by craig »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
Cheers Red, you KNOW it'll happen :D

With you at the helm, I don't doubt it for a second! :lol: :mrgreen:
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Paul, its an OB1 gearbox as fitted to current B8-chassis Audi's (A4, A5). The manual version is fitted to 2.0 Turbo and Turbo Diesel cars. Because the output drive shaft runs in front of the clutch and flywheel, the shaft is removable from the diff and is retained on the passenger side by a plate with three bolts. The shaft bearing on that side is also attached to the shaft. There's very little info on the web as they are pretty new (even 034 motorsport didn't have one yet), hence I ended up just buying one.

The reason I bought it was to find a way of avoiding cutting into the cabin firewall / front support / fuel tank in the mk2 whilst using an Audi V8. Thats not going to happen with a V12, but every little helps!

If you need anymore info, I've got one ere'
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

That's brilliant, i should have used one of those on my V8, would have saved a lot of work! Have you tried it on your ABZ yet? Any fitting issues? Looks dodgy around the starter motor area for clearance?

Sadly i can only get a bellhousing adapter for the V12 that suits the 01x 6 speed box, or i'd be using this in a flash, although an adapter plate wouldn't be a massive problem.... you've given me a lot to think about there...
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Paul, not yet, been meaning to line it up to the V8, although being Audi, it has the same bell house pattern, so no adaptor required as far as I can see. I think there may be minor mods required to the starter area, and possible the starter side exhuast manifold, but nothing major in the grant scheme of things! I might try have a bash this week actually to see whats what.

Right, will stop spamming your thread! :D

Ross
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

No no it's all good :thumleft:
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

s70b56 engine or the m73B54?
i spose the 'S' as you want around 400hp.

sounds like a nice idea, but where the hell are you going to put it?

i was toying with the idea of a longitudinally mounted 3sge but was stuck on gearbox ideas and how to keep the axel in the same place in the chassis without chopping huge chunks of the cabin out. needless to say i've stuck with the transverse fitment and just moved that forward and down.

are you going to move the rear axel backwards a bit to give you some room? or are you just going to cut forward of the firewall to make space?

should be a cool project. i'll be watching too
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It'll be a combination of front firewall moving and making the most of the space rearward of the engine, so transmission choice will be crucial along with a few other things.

It will be difficult, much the same as the V8 into Mk1 was, but certainly possible.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

In the nicest possible way, there is something wrong with you \:D/

In all seriousness though, I cannot wait to see this project shape up, definitely subscribing to this! 8)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

:D Thanks!.... i think? :D

The engine arrives tomorrow well ahead of schedule...

greeny

Post by greeny »

Very cool to see a v12 trying to go in a MR2!

Although you must be going soft..........MKII :shock:

:mrgreen:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I think if all goes to plan it'll be trying to get OUT of the Mr2 :D

Yeah i know, a bloody Mk2, but i looked at all V12 options and thought, we're gonna need a bigger boat.

:D
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

where does it stop? w16 next? :clown:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Actually a W16 would be easier than a V12 i think.
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

The 6.0 W12 is a good bit shorter (about the length of an Audi V8 ), but try getting a hold of one for a reasonable price in this country... So I'm sure the W16 would fit too, although 4 turbo's would mean you'd probably need one of those engine lids fan kits... :wink: :lol:

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Also if we can get the V12 to fit it also means the Supra 2jz-gte with all of it's legendary tuning will also fit, but we'd really start to be pushing the transmissions then, probably have to start using Porsche boxes or something.
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Paul, you're right of course, it would mean pretty much any engine could be installed, including the 2JZ / RB26 etc. They are heavy lumps, but at least you could put up a sticky post for the perenial 'will the 3L Supra twin-turbo engine fit?' question that seems to come up every feckin couple of months.. :thumleft:

Aye, gearbox might start to struggle with big torque turbo engines.. :pale:

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”