turn stereo headphones into 7.1/5.1 DD

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

H3RB

turn stereo headphones into 7.1/5.1 DD

Post by H3RB »

found this on ebay, its made by one of the leading 2 channel and 5.1 headset makers "turtle beach"
i have the turtle beach px21 headset and it sounds great BUT i really want some 5.1 head phones like "trittons" or "astro a40s" but they are damn expensive. anyway this little device claims to turn ANY 2 channel stereo headset into 5.1 (no dts tho)
for £90 its not too expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Turtle-Beach-ear- ... 35a9e520f7

anybody tried one? if not do you think it would work as well as its supposed to? lol
DannyN

Re: turn stereo headphones into 7.1/5.1 DD

Post by DannyN »

For an extra 60 quid you can get the Tritton
http://www.limexb360.co.uk/product/Trit ... nes_TAXPRO

Also that website has the DSS cheaper
http://www.limexb360.co.uk/product/Turt ... DSS_TB-DSS
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

DannyN wrote:For an extra 60 quid you can get the Tritton

I just don't get why you'd need headphones with a load of speakers in them :-k

I'm liking that sound processor thingy in that ebay link 8)
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

When your playing games like CoD you can hear people moving around behind you. It gives you a big advantage playing things like S&D
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

I understand that bit, but it's all in the sound processing itself.

You get sound direction by having the sounds reaching each ear at a slightly different time.

Having 4 little speakers at each ear is just stupid #-o
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

DannyN wrote:For an extra 60 quid you can get the Tritton

Also that website has the DSS cheaper
http://www.limexb360.co.uk/product/Turt ... DSS_TB-DSS

personally i dont like trittons, they are DAMNNNNN ugly. i wanted the astro A40's www.astrogaming.co.uk

but if i bought those i would have to spend £180 on them and then have my current £60 headset sitting collecting dust.
but with this thing i can turn my current headset into 5.1 and even 7.1

no link to ebay yet AS its not out in the uk so you can only get it from america with 13-25 day shipping. however the unit comes out in the uk on the 7th of jan.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Beach-Su ... 564&sr=8-1

gonna order one when they come out so ill let you know how they sound
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

How do 5.1 & 7.1 headphones work seeing as all the speakers are condensed in a small space around your lug holes?

The point of surround sound is to have the speakers in front and behind you with a seperate sub? A sub in headphones? Hows that work?
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

Its all Electrickery :thumleft:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

matt_mr2t wrote:How do 5.1 & 7.1 headphones work seeing as all the speakers are condensed in a small space around your lug holes?

The point of surround sound is to have the speakers in front and behind you with a seperate sub? A sub in headphones? Hows that work?

Like I said above, direction is due to the sound reaching each ear at a different time. So it's all in the channel processing and can be achieved with just one speaker per ear.

As far as I can tell, multiple speakers in each ear is pointless :-k
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I cant really comment about it's ability as I've never tried it. But I would be very dubious about spending money on them :-k
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

I have the Sharkoon Xtatic 5.1's which are fricking awesome once set up. They are from what I understand the same unit as the trittons but not as expensive.

Like I said above, direction is due to the sound reaching each ear at a different time. So it's all in the channel processing and can be achieved with just one speaker per ear.

The Sharkoons come with a small processor unit, and you can fiddle with the delay, how spacious the sound is and also make adjustments by the speaker so you can tailor the sound - so you can get the full 5.1 experience with a bit of set up.

It shows up how crappy some games sound set up actually is. COD MW2 is very good and I tend to use that to set up a set of headphones.
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Some headphones got the sub in that strap which goes above your head.
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

Ive got something to add to this :). My extra lovely Cheryl got me some Tritton AX Pros for christmas - they are truely awesome!!!

I have, for the last two years had a pair of Skull Candy XBOX headphones - straight stereo but gave a prologic type of surround sound (prologic is a stereo source changed into pseudo surround). Awesome in COD as you really could hear footsteps seemingly from behind you and sounded meaty! My flatmate has some Turtle Beach X31s (I think thats what they are) and they are really good too - better control of the voice but a little less full sounding. Both are not true 5.1/7.1 headsets. There are some Turtle Beach 7.1s which again, only have two speakers so cant be lol. Is a lot of cheating in the Headphone market :S. The Trittons Pros are as they have 4 speakers in each ear :D . Sooooo Chuffed!!

I cant recommend them enough - truely I cant!
Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Chr15py wrote:There are some Turtle Beach 7.1s which again, only have two speakers so cant be lol. Is a lot of cheating in the Headphone market :S.

That's like saying you only have two ears, so no benefit in 7.1 sound :mrgreen:

#-o
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

Lol, you do but 7.1 surround is 7 seperate audio point sources - 8 if you include the sub. Our brains recieve and process the sound hence it works lol. All the turtle beaches and Astros etc basically only have two sources (one speaker in each ear) and so are not true surround - is basically a fake surround. Some use fancy electronic tomfoolery to replicate it but not like a proper surround set up :D.

Chris
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Chr15py wrote:Some use fancy electronic tomfoolery to replicate it but not like a proper surround set up :D.

As long as the original 7 channels reach each ear at a different time - it makes no difference :thumleft:
(which can be done even with 2 speakers, one for each ear)
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

Not really - what youre talking about is Dolby Prologic. Thats like saying if you had a surround DVD playing through one of these fancy dolby prologic surround boxes and out of a pair of speakers, you would get the same effect as having 7.1.....nope :P.
If it was the case, cinemas would only have a 2.1 setup instead of the now 11.4 upwards setups they have these days :D. I can see what you are getting at but if you listen to the scene in the Matrix where Neo destroys the lounge and compare a true, discrete 5.1 surround source with ANY type of duel speaker surround headphones, there is no comparrisson!!!

Chris
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Chr15py wrote:Not really - what youre talking about is Dolby Prologic.

Nope.
I'm fully aware that Prologic is sent in a stereo signal.

The headphones mentioned in this thread above process REAL 5 or 7 channel audio, then with a bit of fancy electronics, delay each channel to each of your TWO ears.

You can do proper 7 channel surround with a pair of headphones (with only 1 speaker per ear). This is not to be confused with the pseudo surround that's started to become popular on TVs 10 or so years ago, as you can't do proper multichannel audio from two external speakers.

My gripe many posts above, is that you don't need 28 little speakers in a pair of headphones :D
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

JohnnyC wrote:
You can do proper 7 channel surround with a pair of headphones (with only 1 speaker per ear).

Re-read your last statement as you completely contradicted yourself :P.

Nope, otherwise, as stated earlier, cinemas would not go for the expensive, amazing systems that have multiple sources :D

Old prologic systems that came with TVs obviously are a lot different to what prologic is now. The surround headphones with only 2 drivers are basically stereo headphones that inturperlate a digital multichannel signal into a stereo signal, so that the two drivers can produce it into your ears - this is not true surround lol. Doesnt matter how much delay the electronic gadgetry puts on, the fact of the matter is that it comes from two sources!

Whatever you may think, you can not get true 5.1/7.1/9.1 etc without multiple point sources - FACT! :D

This is fun though ;)
Chris
Last edited by Chr15py on Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

JohnnyC wrote:My gripe many posts above, is that you don't need 28 little speakers in a pair of headphones :D

This is true - I wore my old ones for 2 years and they were stereo but, if you do want true surround with a more accurate sense of direction, it is kinda handy :D

Chris

Return to “Games Consoles”