Rode shotgun in a polics car on pursuit

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Olly P

Rode shotgun in a polics car on pursuit

Post by Olly P »

My firend is a police officer and I've been tempted to join the force for many years. So I took him up on his offer of joining him in the patrol car for a few hours last night (10pm to 1am) in and around Lewisham, London.

Of all the things that I was impressed with the most, it was his driving. Wow! :shock: Talk about skills!

We were in a 2006 BMW 530d. 215bhp & 370lb.ft. Uprated brakes and suspension.

I used to think I was a pretty good driver. I feel I can handle a rear wheel drive car and am used to the performance of my 300bhp tubby. But this guy's skills were stunning. I'm not talking about exuberant and flashy skills, I'm talking about car control, anticipation and concentration.

The first time we got a call and he flicked the blue lights and siren on, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. However, :) soon turned to :shock: as we raced through the town centre and residential streets. His cornering was especially impressive. You can see they've been taught like racing drivers. There is no breaking at all except in a straight line. When he turns, it's all about feeding the wheel and applying power. None of this crossing arms and braking mid corner that you and I do.

A few times the rear stepped out round longer sweeping curves at 40-50mph and it was all taken in his stride. His concentration for planning a route through traffic and pre-empting how vehicles in front will react left me flinching more than a few times as we whizzed past some cars with only a inch to spare :shock: Many times we'd approach slower moving cars in front at almost 50-60mph fatser than them. Hard on the brakes, manoeuvre through a gap, hard left through the lights with the rear tyres struggling for grip. Then 370lb.ft of torque kicks us up to 70mph through the high street, wrong side of the road - cars scrambling to get out of the way. Hard on the brakes, feed the wheel for a 90 degrees right hander, back of the power, overtaking a bus with only a few centimeters to spare on my side.

And he wasn't doing all this to impress me. He was just in the zone.

I just gave me a new level of respect for officers who drive on pursuit, and also highlighted that I'm not such a good driver after all.

Oh, and one more thing. For all you drivers who think the police use their lights and sirens to get through traffic even if they're not in pursuit of someone.... you'd be correct :thumleft:
Steve Horrocks

Re: Rode shotgun in a polics car on pursuit

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Olly P wrote:. You can see they've been taught like racing drivers. . . . . When he turns, it's all about feeding the wheel and applying power. None of this crossing arms and braking mid corner that you and I do.

...... left me flinching more than a few times as we whizzed past some cars with only a inch to spare :shock: Many times we'd approach slower moving cars in front at almost 50-60mph fatser than them. Hard on the brakes, manoeuvre through a gap, hard left through the lights with the rear tyres struggling for grip. Then 370lb.ft of torque kicks us up to 70mph through the high street, wrong side of the road - cars scrambling to get out of the way. Hard on the brakes, feed the wheel for a 90 degrees right hander, back of the power, overtaking a bus with only a few centimeters to spare on my side.

Oh, and one more thing. For all you drivers who think the police use their lights and sirens to get through traffic even if they're not in pursuit of someone.... you'd be correct :thumleft:

Good story, bet you enjoyed yourself, but i'm waiting with popcorn for the highlighted bits to be mentioned! lol :eye:
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

Steve Horrocks wrote:
Olly P wrote:. You can see they've been taught like racing drivers. . . . . When he turns, it's all about feeding the wheel and applying power. None of this crossing arms and braking mid corner that you and I do.

...... left me flinching more than a few times as we whizzed past some cars with only a inch to spare :shock: Many times we'd approach slower moving cars in front at almost 50-60mph fatser than them. Hard on the brakes, manoeuvre through a gap, hard left through the lights with the rear tyres struggling for grip. Then 370lb.ft of torque kicks us up to 70mph through the high street, wrong side of the road - cars scrambling to get out of the way. Hard on the brakes, feed the wheel for a 90 degrees right hander, back of the power, overtaking a bus with only a few centimeters to spare on my side.

Good story, bet you enjoyed yourself, but i'm waiting with popcorn for the highlighted bits to be mentioned! lol :eye:

It's a weird feeling when you're driving at those speeds, on the other side of the road and through speed cameras and red lights. 11 years of driving for me and then someone who's driving you around totally ignores everything you've been taught to obey. It didn't feel right :-$
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Would loved to have joined the police force years ago to be in their traffic division 8)

Not sure I could handle the responsibility of driving that fast on public roads though. It only takes pedestrians to not stop/look/listen or other drivers to not pay attention and there'll be a fatal accident, and you'd be suspended and up in court :roll:

Respect to the traffic cops :thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

wicked story i bet it was a great night out..

but..

Olly P wrote:. None of this crossing arms and braking mid corner that you and I do.

you do that #-o
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

pistol pete wrote:wicked story i bet it was a great night out..

but..

Olly P wrote:. None of this crossing arms and braking mid corner that you and I do.

you do that #-o

Exactly :eye:
Was suprised Steve didn't highlight that either :oldtongue:

braking mid corner

Steve Horrocks wrote: None of this crossing arms and braking mid corner that you and I do.
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

The police all seem to drive like total d1cks, it would appear... and no I dont ever break MID corner!

I have seen so many near misses between other cars and police cars racing about town centres
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Ren0W wrote:

but..

you do that #-o

Exactly :eye:
Was suprised Steve didn't highlight that either :oldtongue:

braking mid corner

Steve Horrocks wrote: None of this crossing arms and braking mid corner that you and I do.

to be fair, I thought we all knew not to brake mid corner, I was more highlighting the trained like racing drivers bit with the notion of shuffling the steering wheel, something you won't see racing drivers do!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

No one shuffles the wheel after they've passed their test, until they hit the age of about 75 when for some reason they seem to start doing it again.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

ekona wrote:No one shuffles the wheel after they've passed their test, until they hit the age of about 75 when for some reason they seem to start doing it again.

not true. at mallory park last weekend i found myself shuffling the wheel coming out of the hairpin. i saw i was doing it and i tried to stop it, but the corner is so tight you simply cant cross your arms. you'll end up with knotted arms in a tyre barrier
rhamps

Post by rhamps »

Police using blue lights when not in a pursuit what idiots just show's they think they are above the law.

And trained like racing drivers LOL yeh they get trained but from what i have seen there are a few great police drivers but even more crap police drivers.

I nearly joined the police as well and been in Traffic car and well i wouldnt trust that driver driving normaly let alone on a Pursuit would be more scared of his driving than of the person he was chasing lol
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

but..

you do that #-o[/quote

I don't believe that you only ever apply brakes when going straight.
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

pistol pete wrote:]wicked story i bet it was a great night

you do that #-o

I don't believe that you only ever apply brakes when going straight.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

rhamps wrote:Police using blue lights when not in a pursuit what idiots just show's they think they are above the law.

And trained like racing drivers LOL yeh they get trained but from what i have seen there are a few great police drivers but even more crap police drivers.

I nearly joined the police as well and been in Traffic car and well i wouldnt trust that driver driving normaly let alone on a Pursuit would be more scared of his driving than of the person he was chasing lol

You may think they're crap or dicks but the fact remains that all Police Drivers are trained, hardly any of the pubic are. So they are better trained drivers than the majority of people around.

What have you seen "crap" about a police driver?

Have you ever seen one fail to indicate left at a round about holding you up? Cutting down the outside lane then at the last minute, cutting in and turning left? Outside lane of a round about then going right? Sitting up your backside? Driving far too slow?

No. It's Jonny Public that do all those things. In all my years I've never seen a badly driven police car.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

i used to get regular rides in police cars in my yoof, never in the front though :-k
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Quigonjay wrote:i used to get regular rides in police cars in my yoof, never in the front though :-k

:clap:
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

ive seen many badly driven police cars, ive been the back seat passenger in a few also.

every police drive is ADI accredited iirc therefore there all advanced drivers and have extensive training of predicting the road ahead.

i did the advanced driving bit for a while while i was working delivering renaults as they wanted all the people driving cars to have better road awareness, and some of the things they show you really opens your eyes on how to predict whats happening in front
rhamps

Post by rhamps »

Have you ever seen one fail to indicate left at a round about holding you up? Cutting down the outside lane then at the last minute, cutting in and turning left? Outside lane of a round about then going right? Sitting up your backside? Driving far too slow?

No. It's Jonny Public that do all those things. In all my years I've never seen a badly driven police car.

I have seen lots or crap police drivers. One other day in front of my didnt indicate anywhere and was then breaking the speed limit too.
Last edited by rhamps on Thu May 13, 2010 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

:ttiwwp: as evidence :lol:

:lol:
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

rhamps wrote:

I have seen lots or crap police drivers. One other day in front of my didnt indicate anywhere and was then breaking the speed limit too.

Breaking the speed limit doesnt make any one a bad driver I'm sure you'll agree. In fact, if you can safely drive above the limit it makes you a better driver than some idiot who cant even match the limit.

As for indicating, well that does grind my gears. But only when it holds other people up, like turning left at round abouts. I usually yell and obscenity out the window at that point.

Return to “Driving Experiences”