500+BHP Project

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

megatart

500+BHP Project

Post by megatart »

As my major build is in progress, I thought i'd post it on here. I'm aiming for around 500+ Bhp. When i bought the car it was running a TD05 Turbo and a Mines ECU. I soon got hold of an Apexi PFC to replace the Mines, and got it tuned up to 1.4 bar at 357bhp. As the TD05 was nearing limits i bopught a GT3076r streetbrawler kit from KORacing whilst the exchange rate was good. Cost about a grand with shipping. I also updated the injectors to Sard 850's and had a Walbro 255 fuel pump fitted to cover the fueling. When i took my car for it rebuild it was running 361bhp at the fly on stock internals and at 1.3bar. But i got bored and have decided to go to a forged bottom end and a 2.2 stroker kit.
Parts list- From the bottom end upwards.

An AlamoMotorsport 2.2 stroker kit consisting of 5sfe reground crank, 86.5mm Wiseco pistons and Eagle H Beam rods with all ACL bearings.

Lightweight crank Pulley
Fidanza Flywheel
RPS 525lb 6 Puck Clutch
Power Enterprises Kevlar cam belt
Apexi 1.1mm MLS head gasket
Ported head with:-
Piper 264 high lift cams and Supertech dual valve springs.
Supertech Titaniam Retainers+ Ferrea Locks
Fidanza Vernier Cam gears
Supertech +1mm Valves
TRD Low Temp Thermostat
HKS Type M grade 8 plugs
ARP bolts all round

Ancilliaries and fuel-
Ko Racing GT3076r turbo kit
Rogue Chargecooler Kit
Sard RJ FPR
Wolfkatz top feed fuel rail
Precision 1000cc injectors
-10an braided lines
Walbro 255 fuel pump feeding 1litre swirl pot- then Bosch 044 pump to rail.
Apexi Power FC
Apexi AVC-R Boost controller.

Extras and bits already on car:-

TRD Mechanical LSD- on car
TRD 22mm Anti roll bars- being fitted
High and Tight polybushes all round- on car
Tein Superstreets- on car
Speedhut reverse indiglow clocks- being fitted
Departure 2 Exhaust with Decat- on car
Apexi Power Intake- on car
Bomex Bodykit (i think)- on car
ACE 17" Alloys with Uniroyal Rainsport 2 tyres- on car
EBC Grooved Rear Discs and Yellowstuff Pads- on car
Cusco Brake stop- on car
Cusco Strut Bars- on car

I think thats about it. The 3sServiceCentre have been doing the work on it for the last year. There were delays in certain parts. I had to source the correct 3sgte flywheel( not the 5sfe one I originally bought- the Fidanza 3SGTE has the elongated holes also to fit the 5sfe Crank).
Then I had to source a different 2.2 Crank as apparently the one supplied by Alamo, was right on the maximum tolerance limits. 3sServiceCentre had to get the new one turned down to fit the 3s Rods, and balanced all over again. Then had loads of problems with fitting of Piper Cams- ( the Ultimate Road 264's, need head machining for the lobes). Then the Piper Dual Springs need the head machining some more, but sadly they dont supply any suitable spring seats for there springs, or list any that are suitable. Useless. I will be sending these back hopefully. I got some Dual Supertech springs and titanium retainers instead. These use the OEM seats. Had to wait a few months trying to fing a 525lb RPS 6 puck clutch. Ended up getting one from SumoPower directly on special order. In this time i decided to upgrade the fuel system too, with a 1litre swirlpot being fed via my intank walbro, and then an inline Bosch 044 Pump to the rail.
I also ordered a few other bits and bobs whilst we were waiting on things(Speedhut dials,TRD ARB's, TRD Thermostat, +1mm Supertech Valves etc) . Anyway, now its all finished. It started up the other day, and needs running in before Ryan at 2bar can map it to perfection. Fingers crossed it'll make my desired figures. Think my manifold and Turbo will be my next limiting factors now. So if i get bored again, i'll look to upgrading both. I will add pics when i'm not so tired.
megatart

Re: 500+BHP Project

Post by megatart »

Fuel In Boot
megatart

Post by megatart »

Update. Got MOT now i think, and its booked in to be mapped today. Cant wait to see if it hits or surpasses my goal. :pray:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Good luck, do report!
Ryan.g

Post by Ryan.g »

It goes very well! :thumleft:

Great choice of Spec!

Only thing i would recommend getting now is a Water injection kit and run 50/50 Water/meth. With the High compression ratio of your engine you are knock limited to only around 1.6bar so grab a WI kit i would suggest to help with this chap.

Ryan
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Ryan.g wrote:It goes very well! :thumleft:

Great choice of Spec!

Only thing i would recommend getting now is a Water injection kit and run 50/50 Water/meth. With the High compression ratio of your engine you are knock limited to only around 1.6bar so grab a WI kit i would suggest to help with this chap.

Ryan

if he did this would he require another mapping session and how much longer would the mapping take ?

just out of interest :thumleft:

good luck with the mapping today mate, hope you get a good result :thumleft:
megatart

Post by megatart »

Excellent stuff. Cheers Ryan. Was after speaking to you about this anyway. So could i run a higher boost with the WI or would it just make it run cooler as it is? I've been looking at the DevilsOwn kits- any good? Other than that, any other options for further modding? Is the stock manifold handling it all ok, or would it be worth investing in a tubular at some point? Spoke to James the other day and he said its got a nice power range- but do ya reckon i'll hit my target figures??? Cheers mate for working your magic. Can't wait to pick it up next week- hopefully after the handling problem is sorted. :thumleft:
megatart

Post by megatart »

Will try phoning you soon Ryan. For everyone else, it had to be detuned a bit as it was detting too much. Apparently the rogue chargecooler doesnt always do what it says on the tin. My intake temps were around 60degs. Will be phoning Rogue up about this, as the kit was recommended to being up to the job. I have the AEM Stage 2 water Injection kit on the way from Yanksville. If Rogue are no help with the chargecooler, then i'll look into getting another type. So hopefully i'll be back at the 3sserviceCentre in a few weeks having it all sorted and the WI fitted and set up. Then will need to book in with Ryan to get it tuned again and see what it makes. It still feels much quicker than it did. Think its currently at 416BHP. I'll get there eventually. :thumleft:
Cheers for an awesome job so far though Ryan
lockys96

Post by lockys96 »

i think and hear your car is awsome.

i think i always go to ott, and need to take a back burner.

james 3s current chargcooler are having good feedback, im sure you know
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

megatart wrote:Will try phoning you soon Ryan. For everyone else, it had to be detuned a bit as it was detting too much. Apparently the rogue chargecooler doesnt always do what it says on the tin. My intake temps were around 60degs. Will be phoning Rogue up about this, as the kit was recommended to being up to the job. I have the AEM Stage 2 water Injection kit on the way from Yanksville. If Rogue are no help with the chargecooler, then i'll look into getting another type. So hopefully i'll be back at the 3sserviceCentre in a few weeks having it all sorted and the WI fitted and set up. Then will need to book in with Ryan to get it tuned again and see what it makes. It still feels much quicker than it did. Think its currently at 416BHP. I'll get there eventually. :thumleft:
Cheers for an awesome job so far though Ryan

Is that the latest iteration e.g. Radtec? I had their CC on my TRD which ran 420bhp at the hubs on one dyno with no problems whatsoever, and recently around 450bhp flywheel too. Temps never got up to anything like that.
megatart

Post by megatart »

Thinking there must be a problem somewhere. Just spoken to Rogue and they've given my a couple of things to check.Very helpful. Otherwise they'll look into it. It is the Radtech one. Will post up what happens.
megatart

Post by megatart »

Did my routine checks the other day. Found chargecooler swirl pot totally dry. Started engine up, nothing, but could hear pump going. Topped up with water which started puping round, but the level kept going down again in the pot. Traced it to a leak where the hose is passing through my passenger side wheel arch. Tyre had been wearing it away on full lock. I repaired it with a piece if metal tube in its place, so hopefully, the tyre will rub against that now instead. Still not ideal, but better. Took me ages to get the coolant flowing round the system again- lots of sucking the return pipe. Anyway, still not rang Rogue back as yet, but will do. Might still go for a different style of chargecooler though on a different location. As my whole engine bay seems to get silly hot, i will be getting a dual 11" engine-lid fan kit later this month.
My AEM Water injection kit has also arrived now, so i will start fitting the tank when i get some spare time. I will be booking in with the 3sservice centre again in a few weeks to get a few little issues sorted, and will book some time in with Ryan to remap it and work the WI kit into the equation. Hopefully the intake temps willl be much lower once the fans and chargecooler are sorted, and the WI can be used with the higher boost levels to reduce the det, and allow the timing to be advanced again. Looking forward to getting it all sorted and running to its maximum potential. I get used to speed far to quickly, and am quicky looking for ways to more power!!! Will keep ya informed. \:D/
sutton

Post by sutton »

What chargecooler do you reckon you will go for next then mate? Would you recomend the radtech?
Yellow Rev 3 Turbo
megatart

Post by megatart »

Cant recommend the radtech, but it could just be my build, as i know most have no problems with them. I'm going for one the 3sservices recommends. Demon or something. Appear on ebay every so often apparently so keeping my eye out.
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Sounds like a car worthy of TOTB entry to me..... :wink:

See the link in my sig.... :whistle:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
megatart

Post by megatart »

Really wanted to do it to be honest, but still not sure if i can get the day off work for it yet. Will try though, but doubt i'll be participating. Maybe next year though. \:D/
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Good stuff. Well closing date for entries is this week, so if you can great.
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
megatart

Post by megatart »

Right i'm booked back in at the 3s next week for a few more bits. Firstly i have fitted one of Gtechs fan kits to the engine lid. Very nice, and has lowered my bay temps quite a bit. Next week i am getting a few teething problems sorted out from my main build, and i'm also getting a new chargecooler fitted, and my AEM water injection fitted. Its then all goin to be mapped by Ryan again- hopefully, and it will give him a bit more room to work his magic without it detting all the time. He's be working in my 50/50 meths/water at higher boost pressure i think. So will i make the 500hp? Fingers crossed and watch this space. :pray:
megatart

Post by megatart »

After more delays, i have finally left my car with 3s again to get the last few bits done. And apparently its being mapped today!! Not heard anything back yet, but will post what happens. Supposed to pick up car tomorrow again. :thumleft:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

any news fella???

Return to “Project Cars”