Elise 111R vs MR2 turbo

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bry

Elise 111R vs MR2 turbo

Post by Bry »

Went out in a friends Toyota 190bhp engined Lotus Elise today and I was quite impressed.The engine noise once you hit around 6k rpm was fantastic and at 9k rpm was plain manic :twisted: The overall performance and handling was very similar to my car, only I can play around hanging the tail out in 2nd gear corners alot easier using the power in my car where as in the same corners the lotus just doesn't have the power to brake traction to play around like that,not critisising the Lotus it's just I like to play around if the mood strikes me :twisted: On a twisty country road the Lotus would Monster a standard rev 3 turbo,but a modified one (and it would need some serious suspension mods) it's very,very similar as I found out today.My friend will soon be getting some modified Lotus parts added to his which will be interesting to see how I compare against his then,but after he went out in my car he's now talking about buying a new Exige :shock: I don't think I'll even bother trying if he gets one :lol:
Watch out OZ here I come !!
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: Elise 111R vs MR2 turbo

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

:lol: cooool!

Considering the new elise has a celica engine, do you reckon you could shoehorn a 3sgte into one? :shock: :twisted:

Man with your handling mods, you could out maneouvre a fly!
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

Maybe your friend needs to learn how to drive? :D
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Coming from someone that drives an Evo?? :scratch:

:tongue:
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

Skywalker wrote:Coming from someone that drives an Evo?? :scratch:

Fasted standard EVO VI on the MLR to be precise. Anyone who thinks a turbo is a match for the Elise in handling terms is just deluding themselves.
Bry

Post by Bry »

Aidy wrote:
Skywalker wrote:Coming from someone that drives an Evo?? :scratch:

Fasted standard EVO VI on the MLR to be precise. Anyone who thinks a turbo is a match for the Elise in handling terms is just deluding themselves.

I knew there be a few doubters :lol: As I said in my post an Elise will monster a standard turbo no doubt about it,but on the same country road the elise could not take the corners at the same speed as my turbo, as it started to understeer too much.The owner of the Elise really wanted the fully adjustable motor sport suspension on his car but as yet it's not available on the toyota engined Elise, also he felt there was too much tyre roll on his tyres and wants to change them for the Exige spec tyres.I don't disagree with you that maybe a more talented driver may have been able to drive around the Understeer on the Elise but yesterday for whatever reason the Elise could not corner as fast as my car,no delusion :wink:
P.S The Elise owner told me how he'd had a little play with an EVO 7 on the motorway a few weeks ago(obviously not the Elises natural habitat)and that he couldn't stay with the EVO
Watch out OZ here I come !!
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Evo's do all the hard work for you.....let the battle comence! :P :tongue: :cyclops:

Mikejc
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

Mikejc wrote:Evo's do all the hard work for you.....let the battle comence! :P :tongue: :cyclops:

Mikejc

Quite right. The MR2's traction control makes it a much more challenging car to drive.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Traction control !? You'll find most don't have any auto pilot boy :lol: :wink:

Mikejc
frosty_11

Post by frosty_11 »

Very few MR2's have traction control - mine doesnt [-(

;)
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

frosty_11 wrote:Very few MR2's have traction control - mine doesnt [-(

;)

It's still an option. In fact RaceLogic even do an aftermarket kit for it. No EVO comes with traction control and I've never even heard of a kit that offers it.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Correct....it was an option but you would struggle to find 1 in 50 that actually chose to have it, pretty rare to be honest.

As for Evo's not having any. Traction is'nt really an issue when you have all four wheels driving the car which is why you'll only really find after market kits geared toward rear wheel drive cars :wink:

Which brings me back to my original point....Evo's = auto pilot :lol: :P

Mikejc
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

Mikejc wrote:Traction is'nt really an issue when you have all four wheels driving the car which is why you'll only really find after market kits geared toward rear wheel drive cars

:-k Um, ok. Listen, when you actually understand the physics behind racing maybe you can come back and post something factual. :P
frosty_11

Post by frosty_11 »

Ding ding .... round 2 ;)
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Please explain the lack of fact for me? You said yourself that their is no form of traction control for the Evo's either as an option or after market. This is i would have thought simply because traction is not the issue on 4WD cars in the same way it is for rear wheel drive cars :?

I do for the record hold vast amounts of respect for the Evo's. I have often toyed with the idea of one day buying one. But having said that, I really do love the thrill of rear wheel drive cars. If you make it around a bend flat out you really do get a sense of achievment, ie i'm still alive because of my own drivers skill :lol:

No question that the Evo's are faster point to point, (comparing standed vehicles) and if I were racing and their were money on the line I dare say i'd pick the Evo over the 2 to aid the winning. But given that i'm not in it for the money, I would have a lot more fun and have a much bigger grin on my face coming in 2nd in the humble 2 :D

Mikejc :wink:
frosty_11

Post by frosty_11 »

Mike, I have also looked at Evo's and infact had started looking for one the exact same as Aidy's.

They are very nice cars, but as you say there is just something about a rwd car and the sense of achivement you get from them.

Both very nice cars but each to thier own :mrgreen:
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

Mikejc wrote:Please explain the lack of fact for me? You said yourself that their is no form of traction control for the Evo's either as an option or after market. This is i would have thought simply because traction is not the issue on 4WD cars in the same way it is for rear wheel drive cars :?

Traction is an issue for any car that obeys the laws of physics. If you take a corner too fast in an evo you crash just like any other car. AWD cars, and/or cars with better suspension design have more mechanical grip so can go faster around corners before the traction limit is an issue. So loss of traction is still there, just at a higher speed.

Mikejc wrote:I really do love the thrill of rear wheel drive cars. If you make it around a bend flat out you really do get a sense of achievment, ie i'm still alive because of my own drivers skill :lol:

Why is that any different in an evo? It's the same experience only at a higher speed, needing bigger balls, and leaving a bigger grin on your face.
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

frosty_11 wrote:Mike, I have also looked at Evo's and infact had started looking for one the exact same as Aidy's.

If you have 13k and nothing to do with it you can have my car :) (seriously, I'm looking to trade up to an VIII)
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

Having driven a couple of Evo's I would have to disagree to an extent. I found that you would really have to do some thing pretty stupid to lose control under normal driving conditions. The MR2 suffers fools not so well. I guess to sum up, you just can't get the back end out in an Evo like you can in an MR2. their is a totally different feeling between AWD & RWD. In the MR2 it feels as though you are going a hell of a lot faster in the bends. And as a result I personally feel more involved in the drive which adds to my enjoyment :D

But like said each to their own. So long as we are both happy it really does'nt matter \:D/ Have fun buddy

Mikejc :wink:
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

Mikejc wrote:Having driven a couple of Evo's I would have to disagree to an extent.

Unlike you :^o I'm not lying when I say I've driven both cos I used to have an MR2 before my EVO so can tell you with some authority that the EVO is a far more rewarding drive :D

Return to “Driving Experiences”