living with the shame

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great driving
No votes
Just having a laugh
40%
Stupid
33%
So idiotic I want to hit you with a big stick
27%

Total votes: 15

Karl

living with the shame

Post by Karl »

i dont know what happened? there was this lil 'hatchback thingy' infront of me who kept sprinting ahead when ever he could which i just found amusing, we got to a roundabout and he was turning off and i was going straight ahead onto a short stretch of dual carrigeway, it came as a surprise when i saw he was right up my ar$e...so i took the bait....then i notice him pull into the inside lane to under take me...and he managed it by a car length....whats going on? it looked to be a reno something or other, or a pug, but im reconing a reno...gti was on the back but i never even paid it much attention as i didnt see it as a threat. a mate of mine recons i should have it tested on a rolling road incase i have problems...but it feels as its always done, quick. any thoughts welcome.

Karl

also any help on knowing what the might be? cheers.
Cliff

Turbo

Post by Cliff »

Renault 5 GT Turbo? Good for big BHP and very light also - No match for a turbo though..
michael

Re: living with the shame

Post by michael »

As more and more silly power hot hatches get released I suspect these kind of strories are going to be fairly common - most companies seem to be aiming at 220bhp+ hatches with fairly low weight at present.

any thoughts welcome

get more power.
BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

Probably wouldve been a breeze if you had say a downpipe or running 1bar of boost , did you also drop a geer to get a better turbo spool up?
michael

Post by michael »

BLOODUK wrote:Probably wouldve been a breeze if you had say a downpipe or running 1bar of boost , did you also drop a geer to get a better turbo spool up?

I suspect he'd need a 3S-GTE first :)
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

But surely a Mk2 turbo should have no problem with modern hot hatches.

I mean the Golf GTi is 0-60 in 6.9 DSG and 7.2 manual. I though I standard rev1-2 was 5.9 and rev3+ 5.2?
michael

Post by michael »

The Golf is fairly lardy though, midrange is where it's at I guess.

I was thinking more along the lines of things like the updated Type-R, Clio 182 Cup, Focus ST220, Alfa 147 GTA, Astra VXR etc - none are as quick as a tubby but could probably stay with a standard (or mildly tuned) one point to point.
Last edited by michael on Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

michael wrote:
BLOODUK wrote:Probably wouldve been a breeze if you had say a downpipe or running 1bar of boost , did you also drop a geer to get a better turbo spool up?

oh how stupid of me thought he had one :-#
Karl

Post by Karl »

thanks to to all of you who have responded, it wasnt a reno 5, something a bit more modern, was rather embarassing to be honest, as he passed he was wearing a cap and looked at the car as he passed looking very pleased with him self :evil: and he had his bird in the car so i bet he loved it, probably still talking about it now in a room full of chavs and naked 2 year olds runnin around with out nappies on haha

all i can hope is hes tunned it up and done a lot of work to the engine...oh well.

Karl :(
Cliff

Pulsar

Post by Cliff »

poyntesm wrote:But surely a Mk2 turbo should have no problem with modern hot hatches.

I mean the Golf GTi is 0-60 in 6.9 DSG and 7.2 manual. I though I standard rev1-2 was 5.9 and rev3+ 5.2?

The only real contender I consider in the Hot Hatch range is the Pulsar GTir.
poyntesm

Re: Pulsar

Post by poyntesm »

IICause_OneII wrote:
poyntesm wrote:But surely a Mk2 turbo should have no problem with modern hot hatches.

Yeah...but would you like to drive something styled to look like a brick!!
michael

Post by michael »

IICause_OneII wrote:

Nissan are thinking of bringing it back too :)

(Sadly only in FWD but it's much nicer to look at)

Click here for a story about it

The following pics may only work if you have a valid login on the Auto Express website:

stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Like the wheels, but whats with the giant tampax on the seats LOL
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Wonder will they make it...doubt it...Nissan seem to want to build it if it is a 4x4 of some sort.. although that new one looks quiet nice.

craig

Re: Turbo

Post by craig »

IICause_OneII wrote:Renault 5 GT Turbo? Good for big BHP and very light also - No match for a turbo though..

hahaha true, I wasted one at the pod.

Read the "The Lost World" by the time he crossed the line :lol: :twisted:
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

poyntesm wrote:
IICause_OneII wrote:

Yeah...but would you like to drive something styled to look like a brick!!

:lol:
craig

Post by craig »

BLOODUK wrote:
michael wrote:

oh how stupid of me thought he had one :-#

Makes me laugh how everyone assumes everyone else has a MK2 Turbo

IMTOC :lol: :lol:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Karl, you just have to realise that the MR2 NA is not really for straight lines. Go and play on some twisty roads... now you know what the MR2 is about :wink:

:D
craig

Post by craig »

Dale_V wrote:Karl, you just have to realise that the MR2 NA is not really for straight lines. Go and play on some twisty roads... now you know what the MR2 is about :wink:

I bet! With 245 tyres up back..............RAILS \:D/
Karl

Post by Karl »

Dale_V wrote:Karl, you just have to realise that the MR2 NA is not really for straight lines. Go and play on some twisty roads... now you know what the MR2 is about :wink:

haha you trying to get me killed? 8-[

Return to “Driving Experiences”