Trackdays/tyres

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jon M

Trackdays/tyres

Post by Jon M »

Hi all,

I'm about to book up for the trackday in September, but I was wondering what people do about tyres for trackdays? I've heard that you can eat through a whole set of tyres in a day on track, is this true? I don't really want to buy new tyres just for the day, and I obviously don't have room to carry a second set of wheels in the 2. Any advice?

Jon
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Trackdays/tyres

Post by Lauren »

Depends largely on how you drive. Elv has a concrete surface so it is more abrasive than tarmac.

there are a number of options open to you:

buy some tyres from the bookatrack website adn then have them fitted at the end.

don't go sideways round the whole track and you should have some tyres left.

Personally i'm taking up a set of rims with some barely legal tyres on too take them down to teh canvas round the track, then i'll put on my good wheels and tyres for the drive home, but i'm fortunate in that we are taking our hilux for recovery duties so its no problem to put a set of rims in.

I'm sure others that take a set of rims manage somehow to get a set of rims in their 2, i'm sure it can be done.
psmiff

Post by psmiff »

I have been reading most of the posts on tyres and trackdays as I am going to the IMOC day at Elvington (incidentally if this is the one you want to book I should be quick, its one place off full unless they can sqeeze any extras in).

Lauren has already posted that as its a concrete surface, if dry it will be heavy on tyres, particularly the front left ( I think) depending on how you drive. I am hoping to use my existing tyres which are lowish on tread until the fronts wear out and then have a new set fitted there.

I have bought a set of standard wheels for the purpose so that I am not wearing out my best set of tyres.

It has also been suggested that the front wheels can be changed over to even out wear, even if you have directional tread on them, it apparently does not make a massive amount of difference.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

It all depends on how you drive the car. If you get it sideways on concrete, it will eat your tyres quite quickly as the surface is so grippy.

Drive it tidily, and you should see fairly even tyre wear of upto 3mm on Mk2s - Mk1s are a lot lighter on their tyres and so I'd say 1-2mm of tread at most of wear. Mk3s seem to be similar to MK1s in terms of wear ..

Edit: Mk3's are as light as the Mk1s, not Mk2s!
Last edited by BenF on Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

I'll more than likely be trailering the car down, as I'm just up the A1, so will be throwing a spare set of rims and tyres in the back of the pick up.

I'm taking my old set of 15" wheels and tyres (195's) as I don't want to ruin a set of new ones one my 16's... these old ones are not brilliant and I wouldn't use them on the road (3 different tyres), but they don't leak and they're not dangerously low - so I may as well use them.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Has anyone managed to carry a spare set of wheels on their Mk1 to change over at the track? The only reason I ask is the Mk1 is my only car so I have no other way of taking a spare set of rims and tyres with me. Yet I don’t want to kill my new F1’s.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

A few possibilities Ian, either swap them before you go up to the track day or you can fit four wheels and tyres in and around the car (just) if you get a boot/engine lid rack. 2-3 on the rack and 1 in place of the spare and if you've only got 2 on the rack and no passenger one on the passenger seat. Alternatively remove the passenger seat and stack all 4 in there!
monkeyboyalli

Post by monkeyboyalli »

Couldn't you have the 2-3 on the rack and then remove the spacesaver spare wheel and put the last wheel under there, if you wanted a passenger?? :?:
Don't know what the Mk1 is like for space under there but i'm sure with a Mk2 you could get both front wheels under the bonnet as a temp measure to get you too the track and back.

I might be talking utter tosh as i've no tried any of these suggestions.
worth a try though

Alli
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

You can only get one wheel in the frunk of the Mk1, you can't even fit an extra alloy without a tyre. :(

The only problem I see with 3 on the back is overloading the rack. I've got 4 tyres without rims on the MX5 rack which I use on the Mk1, so space isn't a problem, it does look like you're off to the Paris-Dakar though! 8)

There was a roof rack and boot rack on e-bay a while ago, don't know i the auction's still going.

Chris
phild

Post by phild »

I would say, just take out the passenger seat (unless a passenger is expecting to come with you of course) and stack them there, will reduce weight on the track as well !!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Grendel wrote:Has anyone managed to carry a spare set of wheels on their Mk1 to change over at the track? The only reason I ask is the Mk1 is my only car so I have no other way of taking a spare set of rims and tyres with me. Yet I don’t want to kill my new F1’s.

See if you can get three rims with tyres on the passenger seat. I believe it is possible as i'm sure i've done it before.

Mark and I are taking my spare set up in the hilux. We maybe able to squeeze another set in there, don't know if this is any help really, we live in macclesfield btw.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”