Castle Combe - Noise :(

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

michael

Castle Combe - Noise :(

Post by michael »

http://www.racecar.co.uk/story.asp?NewsID=9018

COUNCIL SERVE NOISE NUISANCE ORDER

North Wiltshire District Council have served a Noise Nuisance Order on Castle Combe Circuit.

The circuit Directors consider this to be unfair and restrictive. We are appealing against the Order. However, within the Council it is possible that at a debate the Council members could instruct their officers to withdraw this Noise Nuisance Order. We hope to achieve this action rather than indulge in costly legal actions for both parties. For Castle Combe Circuit this is money that could be spent on improving our visitor facilities. However for Council Tax payers, the vast majority who are not affected by this action, the cost is a further burden on Council budgets that could be used to improve our health and education systems, our roads and other services. This action has been brought about by a tiny number of local residents. Because of their action, Council Tax payers throughout Wiltshire will have an additional financial burden to carry during 2005.

THE FACTS

Whilst the Order covers all race days, the principle clause will prevent us, after 2005, running the British formula 3 and GT Championships.

During four successful years, these two races have

Ø run on average for 5 hours 22 minutes per year, just 4.36% of our total racing time.

Ø the races have attracted almost 100,000 visitors.

Ø using the Council's own calculations, these races have generated approximately £10m into the North Wiltshire economy.

Ø they have provided Wiltshire with a world class sporting event.

We are a race circuit. We accept racing cars do make noise and have therefore been instrumental in changing the regulations to lower the noise limit for F3 & GT's by 4Dba. That is a significant reduction.

The circuit has been here since 1950 and run racing continuously through that time. It is well known and well signposted. Anyone moving into the area. since 1950, would have been aware of its existence.

We have the lowest usage of any circuit in the United Kingdom currently attracting national racing classes.

Long term effects of losing these races could force us to look for other revenue streams and to restrict our support of some loss making and charitable events.

We believe we have demonstrated to the council that with careful noise controls and an undertaking to work with the organisers of these championships to investigate further noise reductions that we can work in harmony with the majority of the local environment and residents.

Your help is needed.

If you can, please write a letter urging councillors to vote to instruct their officers to withdraw this Notice.

Details on Castle Combe Circuit website

Please feel free to use any of the facts quoted within this newsletter.

Your help will be much appreciated.

The Directors of Castle Combe Circuit Ltd

http://www.racecar.co.uk/cc/
Bender Unit

Re: Castle Combe - Noise :(

Post by Bender Unit »

Whats the betting the people complaining have moved there after the track was built! IF you dont like the sounds of cars racing around a circuit then dont move to a race track! I would happily swap my place for one in Castle Coombe!
michael

Post by michael »

Stuff like this really annoys me - at the recent trackday at Donington a few people were getting warnings about their cars being too loud however as the chap was trying to tell them to try and get quieter you couldn't hear him for the huge aeroplanes taking off and landing at East Midlands airport!

You can understand it when people have lived there and then suddenly something gets built but those who move into the area (and generally get their house slightly cheaper because it's close to a track) should have no grounds for complaint. With Donington it's apparently one house quite some distance away that forces them to have noise regulations, they know someone on the council or something like that - bet Combe is suffering from the same thing, a couple of influential idiots :(
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

michael wrote:Stuff like this really annoys me - at the recent trackday at Donington a few people were getting warnings about their cars being too loud however as the chap was trying to tell them to try and get quieter you couldn't hear him for the huge aeroplanes taking off and landing at East Midlands airport!

You can understand it when people have lived there and then suddenly something gets built but those who move into the area (and generally get their house slightly cheaper because it's close to a track) should have no grounds for complaint. With Donington it's apparently one house quite some distance away that forces them to have noise regulations, they know someone on the council or something like that - bet Combe is suffering from the same thing, a couple of influential idiots :(

Yep it only takes one person to start kicking up a fuss and that is when the problem begins. The woman in question at Donny bought her house for 30K less because you can hear the circuit. She has even complained about noise at Donny when the track hasn't been in use! The council have insisted that there is constant noise monitoring at Donny and they have had to employ someone to operate it. All the marshals' feel the same as everyone else, but if we don't comply use of the circuit is in question.

Anglesey also had problems from one resident, but fortunately she moved and the whole noise issue dissapeared.

There is also a lobbying group that puts the kybosh on any new airfield venues that become available. Basically they write to all the local residents urging them to complain. It is a total nightmare, basically cars are seen as evil etc.... Donny is a great example as the planes and M1 are much noisier.

It really is sheer idiocy!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I deal with various types of sites and planning issues on a professional basis - it is always down to how well organised local residents are. If they kick up enough fuss re: nuisance the council are forced to act. Sometimes they may be justified, but often is is people who live in an area subsequent to the site being initiated, but there is still little they can do about it but comply.

It's a real shame for us enthusiasts, I think they should only sell houses to petrol heads round circuits and give them v. cheap or free track days to keep them happy :D

T
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

>>bet Combe is suffering from the same thing, a couple of influential idiots<<

Thing is houses in CC are very expensive, and you know that some overly wealthy chump bought a house there without much consideration to the track and the traffic it may cause on a event day and then gets annoyed when there is a bit of traffic going past their window. I wouldn’t care, in fact I would love to live near a track, and the noise simply wouldn’t bother me. Also CC village where most of the residents live is actually in a valley and is shielded from the sound of the track.

The same problem is happening at Bristol airport, they want to expand the air port but cant due to residents complaining about noise. The people who are complain have started living after the airport was made commercial air port. If you don’t like the sound of planes don’t move to the end of a runway!

I have no sympathy for these people!
I
anna

Post by anna »

That sucks...
I spose the biggest problem for a motor racing circuit is that many of the local residents probably don't use it, so see it as all bad... With things like airports and mobile phone masts, it gets difficult for the NIMBY's to get anywhere when they have to admit that they jet off on hols, and use a mobile phone...
I lived at the end of Southampton Airport's runway for 2 years, and tbh, with good double glazing (plus not flying at night) you hardly noticed - except for lazy summer days when the windows and doors were open - and I have to admit that you either put subtitles on the tv till it passed, or turn the volume up :D
I moved in after the airport was built, with full knowledge of it being there, and although I more than likely could have complained about the 'noise disturbance', there really was no need to.

We used to have a radio controlled car track nearby for the local kids, but that got half destroyed when a housing estate was built right up to it, and obviously residents complained - the developers really should have paid for it to be relocated or sommit...

Maybe everyone should chip together and buy these moaning people some ear plugs...
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Actually I have to say I don't consider airport expansion in the same league, moving somewhere where's there's 100 flights a day which a developer wants to make 10000 is not the same thing as moving next to a frequently used circuit IMHO!! Car noise is something most people are used to and frankly should get over, jumbo jets screaming overhead is something else...

Not to get off-topic :)

T
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

My point was that many of these noise pollution complaints have happened in the past 10 or so years, people have moved near active airports / race tracks and then have complained about noise levels. Regardless of what is causing the noise if it was there before they dont have a right to complain. Its like people living on a main train line and complaining about trains - it was there before they moved there so they only have their selves to blame!

What they need to do is plant tree's around the tracks and raised mounds to help keep the sound from travelling.

Regards

James
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Bender Unit wrote:My point was that many of these noise pollution complaints have happened in the past 10 or so years, people have moved near active airports / race tracks and then have complained about noise levels. Regardless of what is causing the noise if it was there before they dont have a right to complain. Its like people living on a main train line and complaining about trains - it was there before they moved there so they only have their selves to blame!

Hmmn, sorry still don't agree! But I'll leave it at that :)

Who's going to right to the council then?
T
michael

Post by michael »

I wonder if it will have any impact on Jap Fest?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Bound to.
I'm surprised tbh, as they've always been very hot on noise limits (even me in my 'lil 'ol SC got banned!)

T
disco stu k

Post by disco stu k »

God damn it, I live 10 miles from CC, that anoys me that my damn council tax is being wasted on this C"@p. I must have gone that 20 times since moving here, never had any issues with noise, infact theres more noise for the Airplanes from the local RAF base. Asshol£s, i mean the council not the RAF! I have emailed all of those councillers to see what is really going on, aaahhhh sooo mad! hope they don't cancel japfest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stu
disco stu k

Post by disco stu k »

Just looked at the list of councillers envolved, and this on Mr R Watkins, Paddock Barn, The Gibb, Castle Combe, Wilts SN14 7LH [email protected]
Lives near the track! mmmm makes you wonder!
ribbo

Post by ribbo »

i live next to the m3 and not far from the mainline to london, i've had the noise of the m3 all my life (almost) but i've never really noticed it as it's always been there, fecking towneys that buy up identikit houses near motorways, move in then complain about the noise of the motorway to the council get my goat big time.

**edit to add im also under southampton airports flightpath

how dare people move into an area near a motor racing circuit and complain that other peoples fun and passion is ruining they're sunday morning, why dont they do something useful like cure 3rd world debt.

I personally would like to ban such programs as "midsomer murders" or "heartbreak" as they've obsviously sold these suburbanites the dream that where it's green it's also quiet.

/rant
Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

Its a shame as it looks like CC will lose out on the F3, GT and FF championship rounds. Its a good circuit and only just came back onto the calender after safety concerns a few years back.
disco stu k

Post by disco stu k »

Hi all

A a self rightous bigot! i emailed North wilts council, to whom i pay my council tax, and shock horror i got i reply:

Dear Stuart,

Thanks for your e mail. I live in the parish of Castle Combe, race Formula Ford, and agree with your sentiments. Please rest assured I will be doing my utmost to have this ban lifted.

Thanks for your support.

Richard Watkins
Councillor NWDC

So we may have someone on side! I spoke to a good friend of mine who races mini's, apparently its a cycle, the track will exceed 90 odd db's,(alledged 107db for cc), get this noise order, go back to 94 db and stay there whilst getting tested, then gratually increase. But regardless letsa try and keep the racing standard as hi as possible!

stu
disco stu k

Post by disco stu k »

Today another Counciler contacted me, this is what he had to say

Hello Stuart,

I couldn't agree more! I think that the notice was short sighted and ill thought out; it would appear that had a bit of common sense had been used and e few moments of thought, this could have been resolved easily. I would have told the complainants to go back where they came from and the leave the status quo as is. I hope that this can be resolved as quickly as possible in favour of the race track.

Kind Regards

Tom Briggs

So it wouls appear there are only a few muppets in the district council, not all of them as previously thought!

stu
clive1234

Post by clive1234 »

I use C.C. race track on a regular basis... my wife works at the kart track, so does my stepdaughter. My youngest stepdaughter drives karts there, we all watch races there... I did my ARDS test there, both stepdaughters passed their ARKS tests there... etc etc...

You can hardly see a house from the track, and when you drive past you make more noise than any of the cars on the circuit. My "other" road car (not my MR2) would not pass the noise test there and it's been road legal (noise wise) since 1954!

We must laso remember that it could have still been an airfield! At the moment most of the week it pretends to be a farm, springing into life for a few hours each weekend.

I've been informed that the noise order was served after only 2 complaints... TWO! If that's correct then how about putting it to a vote... all the tracks users versus the villiage? I know that the shops and pubs there have never turned away my business before or after I've been to the track... either to watch or participate!!!!

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”