Me Vs the Rocketship(my MR2)

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ENSMR2

Me Vs the Rocketship(my MR2)

Post by ENSMR2 »

To the tune of 50 Cent's Candyshop,

I battled with the rocket ship, (dederere) \:D/

It wanted to see what skills I got, (dederere) \:D/

I didn't have enough, (dederere) :x

So the back end came out on me! (dadadadadah) 8-[

Ok so after getting the MOT done I pulled out of my mates garage and went off down the road. Pulled out on to the main road and as I'm taking the bend I accelerate a little, thinking this much should be ok. That part of the road doesn't offer much grip for some reason. The back end started to fishtail as I straightened up, so due to my recent escapades in front wheel drive cars (and the fact that I hadn't driven the 2 in 6 months) I came off the gas :oops: . Big mistake! Back end flys round, I correct, It thinks for a micro second and probably said something like "nice one, But can you correct THIS!" and swings back the other way. I come back on the power a tad and she straightens up, probably whilst grinning.

PHEW!

So I kinda miss the 4 wheel steer of the Prelude as it offered much in terms of handling, even the 1.2 Clio was pretty good. I suppose a lot of the Clio's ability is down to modern suspension set ups.

What can I say. Glad to have the MR2 back. Going to have to take it easy for a little while whilst I re learn her traits. Should be fun.

Let this be a lesson to y'all.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Me Vs the Rocketship(my MR2)

Post by Lauren »

Get a driver upgrade. ;)

seriously!

the car fishtailed because you put on too much opposite lock and left it on too long(no doubt in an effort to get out of the slide more quickly), result is that the car will then of course go the other way and then you really are in trouble.
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Lauren wrote:Get a driver upgrade. ;)

seriously!

the car fishtailed because you put on too much opposite lock and left it on too long(no doubt in an effort to get out of the slide more quickly), result is that the car will then of course go the other way and then you really are in trouble.

HA HA HA! :)

Yeah I know, I know. It was a momentary lapse is all. First time back in the 2. I don't usually make that mistake there.

Touch wood I have never spun any of my 2's. Both tubby's. Came from a 1.6 astra (my 1st car). But then my uncle did take me rallying a lot in cyprus. I suppose that helps.

Funny though how I feel safer flying round bends in the clio then the 2 :shock:
Frustrated Pilot

Post by Frustrated Pilot »

thats wierd!!!! so wierd

i have been driving a focus and a primera as company cars.. i feel SO UNSAFE in corners.. the handling feels unpredictable and is so different to what im used to..... im so used to my 2 now.... and those company cars roll so much i feel they will tip over!!!!! terrible.. terrible..!!

thank toyota for MR.
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

The focus should do really well!

For some reason even when really pushing the clio it feels well in control. To be totally honest there wasn't much under steer on the thing. A bit of left foot braking ans the back end could fly out.

The MR2 just seems to be really on the edge most of the time. Some times I get the feeling the back end is on ice! I suppose the fact it's my car adds to my worries! I've gotta get used to her.

My mate drives these things so well it's unbeleivable. He drifts them and every thing. I used to pop round just to get him to take me for a spin in it :shock:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

It just sounds like a lack of confidence, nothing alot of time driving it wont sort out. At present, I can honestly say I have never had more fun than now in my MR2, it's getting worked harder in the corners, but it's under control! (excluding some times in the wet 8-[ )

Time my friend!
llenrub

Post by llenrub »

About 2 months ago before a night on the tiles, I took a friend for a spin to show him what it could do. We came from Long Chaulden in hemel hempstead, down the hill to the start of the old town.

Now for those who know Hemel and their are a few, will know the roundabout in the dip. It was wet and I took the round about knowing that throttling out down to the high street would send the back out badly. The back flicked out and I went down the high street virtually sideway for about 40 yards with cars parked both sides. My passenger was white as a ghost. He couldn't beleive we were still in one piece. I said, " no worries, all in days work for a maniac driver!" :lol: :lol:

I was amazed I was able to pull it straight. Better than a day on the track, anytime!!
llenrub

Post by llenrub »

Hard trottle in the bends in my e46 m3 and not matter how for out you take it, the TC always corrects it for you. It'll never snap round. Untill you switch it off.

Thats what I like about my MR2, Its very similar in temperament to my Yamaha R1. If you nail it lacking in confidence and reasonable skill, It'll punish you. Great stuff!!
Raf

Post by Raf »

llenrub wrote:

I was amazed I was able to pull it straight. Better than a day on the track, anytime!!

#-o #-o ](*,) ](*,) :evil: how the 'kin hell is going down sideways (out of control) with cars parked on both sides (and other things like people etc that you may have failed to notice) better than a day on the track?

I think you were lucky not to hit anything (or the good people of Hemel hempstead were) but you're buzzing off it!

oh btw how's the Ferrari? :wink:
llenrub

Post by llenrub »

I'm glad you see the funny side!

Perhaps it could become a point of notoriety. MR2 drivers passing through could report back the longest side on slide attempt :lol: .
Raf

Post by Raf »

llenrub wrote:I'm glad you see the funny side!

p!ssin myself mate.... :roll:
Neal_MR2

Post by Neal_MR2 »

Quality

Im going from a 2.0 ibiza gti FWD into a 2.0 tubby RWD this is going to be fun [-o<
jonno

Post by jonno »

I did exactly the same thing at donington last december - hadnt been on track for 2 years, did 5 easy laps, then pushed harder, back end came round on the way out of coppice, left the opposite lock on a second too long and ended up doing a 360 on the exit :)

Practice this stuff on track - not on the road!

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...

Return to “Driving Experiences”