Snake Pass

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Goldy

Snake Pass

Post by Goldy »

Just got back from a late night drive round snake pass, its first time i've been out in the 2 in the dry for a proper drive since I got the 15" wheels and the bridgestone potenzas, the car was awsome round the bends, not a tyre squeel anywhere, and no nasty oversteer or understeer, and I was pushing fairly hard, (burnt rubber) :-D

I'm soo glad I bought the two it drives so much better than the old (jelly) rover I used to have, its really made me smile tonight, and made my passenger cack himself!! :tongue:

Snake Pass comes highly recomended, just watch out for the bumpy bits (i nearly took off!!!!)
Quigonjay

Re: Snake Pass

Post by Quigonjay »

where exactly is this hallowed snake pass? :?
Jay
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

quigonjay wrote:where exactly is this hallowed snake pass?

Hazzard County, I think. :D
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by JohnnyC »

Between Manchester & Sheffield.
Raf

Post by Raf »

It is a good drive down that pass but can get dangerous at times, especially if you have never driven it before.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Quite often overturned cars off the road when the weather turns nasty I hear.
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Not as bad as buxton road tho, aparantly the most dangerous road in the uk according to a recent tv program!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Goldy wrote:Not as bad as buxton road tho, aparantly the most dangerous road in the uk according to a recent tv program!

Sounds like just the place for some of those 'safety cameras' :mrgreen: #-o
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

JohnnyC wrote:
Goldy wrote:Not as bad as buxton road tho, aparantly the most dangerous road in the uk according to a recent tv program!

Sounds like just the place for some of those 'safety cameras' :mrgreen: #-o

You are talking about the Cat & Fiddle road the infamous A537 from Macclesfield to Buxton.Its just up the road from me, i've driven it many, many times.

They can't put speed cameras up there apparently because there isn't one section that is considered dangerous its the whole road.

In the summer they use helicopter surveillance. Its mostly populated by bikers tbh and does suffer the highest number of fatalities per year.

If you've never driven it, its a cracking drive and is suprisingly well sighted so it is very easy to pass slow moving traffic round the hairpins at a slow speeds rather than having to speed and overtake on the straight sections.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Lauren wrote:Its mostly populated by bikers tbh and does suffer the highest number of fatalities per year.

And Lotus Elises power sliding around the bends - so I saw on the telly :shock:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

JohnnyC wrote:
Lauren wrote:Its mostly populated by bikers tbh and does suffer the highest number of fatalities per year.

And Lotus Elises power sliding around the bends - so I saw on the telly :shock:

Powersliding at those speeds is not a good idea and certainly not on that road. I occasionally go and enjoy that road but i keep the speeds down on the straight sections and where that guy was caught (ie near the bottom) is definately not worth risking. I know that corner though and it is very tempting to fly round it.
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

I went there the 1st night I got my 2... i was following a friend who knew the road well, it was pouring in rain, and there was bout 30 meters visability. I got very out of shape and sideways on quite a few corners with my economy 195's all round! I went back a few weeks later, and had I been able to see the huge drops at the side of the road, I probably would have taken it a bit easier... Buxton (cat and fiddle) road is awsome though i think it needs muchos respect.

Return to “Driving Experiences”