Turbo Vs Elise

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbob

Turbo Vs Elise

Post by Jimbob »

Fended off an Elise from 30 up to the speed limit :wink: no probs.
Just goes to show the powers of the little 2.
He still wanted to come flying past after id embarassed him, im sure he felt better tho :cry:

A lad nearby,
he's not in my good books,
he has a posh motor car,
cos his short of good looks,
one winters eve all chilli n white,
he flew up behind me,
the wee silly sh*te. :x

The MR2 he thought maybe quite slow, :lol:
in his little pretend car,
he was in for a show, :D
3rd gear was held poised for some action,
the road was a bit greasy,
oh no, please let me get traction! :shock:

Up beside me quickly he come,
here goes i thought......,
he he have some!, :P
his face seemed to drop,
he was goin backward,
my boost was peeking,
the elise seemed knackered :oops:

A good lesson learned,
for that little chump,
the ct26 really can pump, 8)
He's so little now,
behind so far away,
dont bother trying again,
you wont have your day.

The poor ol lad
he seemed almost broken,
victory now mine,
turbo hot n tyres smokin, :wink:
he then came past,
after i'd slowed down,
he seemed really pi*sed,
that i'd won the crown.

Just goes to show the powers of the little 2.
He still wanted to come flying past after id embarassed him, im sure he felt better tho :wink:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: Turbo Vs Elise

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

8) hehe
cool :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Do remember though that elises are pretty slow once they get past 60ish mph. So they are not very quick in a straight line. they only have the krap series.

I can easily outdrag an elise in a straightline (on circuits), but on the corners the advantage is diminished. In a tubby you'd struggle even more.
uglee

Post by uglee »

My best friend has an elise. Think it's the 135 sport?

It's quick, but over 60mph horsepower talks so he struggles keeping up on a fast A road or dual carriageway.

Had the chance of having a good long drive and on twisty stuff it is simply awesome! The thing felt glued to the road. There is virtually nothin on the road I can think of that would be able to keep up!
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

TBH Elises are pretty slow on normal straight roads, my rev3 could demolish them in a straight line without breaking a sweat. Their whole premise is weight saving/power to weight etc, hence even an incline or headwind can also impair their performance noticeably! - They are built for circuits/twisties, under which circumstances they'd eat you :)
My Bro in law had an S2 and 2 friends had S1s, they were all pretty much the same from a passenger point of view (Suspension sounded like it was falling to bits on bumpy roads ;) )
The Exige is a different kettle of fish though :)
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

My m8 also had a S2 Elise with the VVC rover lump with zorst + induction kit. He got toasted by me when my car was bone stock (wanted to race me on the first day I bought my tubby lol) off a standing start.
But as mentioned above, the Elise is not about straight line power its about handling. The same mate got a 135R S2 as a courtesy car. We had it for two days and it was still the most fun drive ive EVER had in a car jeez did we give it a thrashin!. A kid could drive it fast.. its so communicative. My tubby felt like a boat on cornering in comparison hehe.

Hm Id still have the tubby over the elise tho heh!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

uglee wrote:My best friend has an elise. Think it's the 135 sport?

It's quick, but over 60mph horsepower talks so he struggles keeping up on a fast A road or dual carriageway.

Had the chance of having a good long drive and on twisty stuff it is simply awesome! The thing felt glued to the road. There is virtually nothin on the road I can think of that would be able to keep up!

You want to try Jonny from BookaTrack's eRise, basically an S1 elise with a Civic Type-R engine and 6 speed box. 200bhp in something weighing 768Kg is pretty impressive to say the least. It runs on nitrons too with sticky tyres. I drove this car over to Spa & Zandvoort this summer and it was simply manic on the road (0-60 in 4.5 secs, 0-100 in 9.5!). The way it would just launch itself when the VTEC came in was just stupid. In all honesty i was very glad to give the car back as i seriously feared for my licence!
Will-Turbo

Post by Will-Turbo »

My mate has a 111s Elise and in a staight line, I leave him for dead everytime. It proper p1$$e$ him off... I love it :twisted:
When we get to corners however... :?
craig

Post by craig »

Nice one dude. Wear the crown with pride 8)

:lol:
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

I know Lotuses are known for not being the most reliable car on the planet, but they'll always have that 'wow' factor as far as I'm concerned.

There's an Elise parked up at Loughborough station every morning, and I don't think I'll ever get bored with looking at it. :)
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by screech »

You want to try Jonny from BookaTrack's eRise, basically an S1 elise with a Civic Type-R engine and 6 speed box. 200bhp in something weighing 768Kg is pretty impressive to say the least. It runs on nitrons too with sticky tyres. I drove this car over to Spa & Zandvoort this summer and it was simply manic on the road (0-60 in 4.5 secs, 0-100 in 9.5!). The way it would just launch itself when the VTEC came in was just stupid. In all honesty i was very glad to give the car back as i seriously feared for my licence!

very rapid but the vtec conversion costs about £10k so it bloody should be good!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

screech wrote:

very rapid but the vtec conversion costs about £10k so it bloody should be good!

Yep, well Type-R engines and boxes are pretty expensive as is the ecu and the custom manifold. Makes an amazing car though.

some vid clips 0-100 and some gooning round elv here:

0-100:

http://www.jimbocam.com/blink/dash-cam-pip1.mpg

Elvington Goon:

http://www.jimbocam.com/elvington/vA/el ... n1-vcd.mpg

Sizes aren't over 10Mb.
twotoneaw11

elises watch out!

Post by twotoneaw11 »

If you own an elise, and you come across a silver starion with 'caution, may steer from the rear at the bottom of plate. Dont bother taking it on.

You mister posh guy in the blue Elise in Derby, what did it feel like to get highway demolished by a 21 year old Mitsubishi?

You european car enthusiasts. Dont mess with Jap turbo's or youll just get wiped of the tarmac.

Ford? Bow down to Japanese internal combustion!

Go for it MR2 turbo boys! go slay a Cossie a day.
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

funny you mention the starion twotone as i almost got one of these before i got my MK1 MR2, insurance was silly but loved the look of the starion! a guy a few miles away was selling a dark blue one with a few little mods, looked mint too! think it had a resent respray and look really impressive.

think the guy kept it in the end after no one brought it, saw it in maldon area once and it had a stripped interior and roll cage and sounded wicked! :D

love jap turbo'd metal! :D

oh ncie clips lauren just spotted them! how quick does that speedo climb! :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Chris 'aka rustboy' Ammon wrote:oh ncie clips lauren just spotted them! how quick does that speedo climb! :D

I know. I had to drive that car all the way to Zandvoort and Spa last summer... what a chore it was ;)

Actually there is no way i could drive one of those on the road for any length of time and keep my licence for very long. I was very glad to give it back in all honesty.
twotoneaw11

Starion's!

Post by twotoneaw11 »

Hey, The Starion is a classic turbo rally slag.

The Starion was the fastest 2000cc production car in the world between 83 and 87. Until Toyota made a twin turbo 2000cc 6 pot Supra. ha

If you drive a starion, youll buy one. Guarantee. Great muscle for ££

With a good starion running between 10 and 14psi and a straight through exhaust youll run 13's on a quarter and kill a mid 90's BMW M3.

So you have an AW11 too. best cars in the world to drive eh?

Re: Starion's!

twotoneaw11 wrote:Hey, The Starion is a classic turbo rally slag.

The Starion was the fastest 2000cc production car in the world between 83 and 87. Until Toyota made a twin turbo 2000cc 6 pot Supra. ha

If you drive a starion, youll buy one. Guarantee. Great muscle for ££

With a good starion running between 10 and 14psi and a straight through exhaust youll run 13's on a quarter and kill a mid 90's BMW M3.

So you have an AW11 too. best cars in the world to drive eh?

nope sorry i HAD an AW11 now have a SW20 turbo jap import :)

both VERY different cars. late 13's? mate my standard turbo does about that and 13-15PSI will see late 12's i believe :D

still the starion is a wicked car! i love it's looks and the noise they make is great too! whack a nice exhaust on it and it sounds the badgers nadgers if you ask me ;)
shame you don't seem many starions these days...
twotoneaw11

starion

Post by twotoneaw11 »

Yeah, the Starion was a good set up standard production motor.

Ive never driven an SW20 Turbo yet so I have that to look forward to. But so far I love the way the AW11 is balanced with power and handling. Almost like a mini NSX i bet.

Well, a stock MR2 facelift turbo should be in the late 13's. i do believe what you say about 12's on better boost. I bet those SW20's have a good LSD for a bit of turbo propelled take off eh? The Starions were good for high rev clutch releases. grip, go and hold the steering tight. :D

starion sounds good! i looked at a few like i said a few years ago but never had a ride in one sadly, woulda been nice!

the MR2 turbo is great, not all had LSD but mine has :D can be very twitchy on heavy clutch drop starts in the wet :)

the engine being at the back though gives loads of grip, get a well good start. doesn't handle as tight as the MK1 did mind!
the MK1 is great, i could take some pretty sharp bends at speed in mine.
there's a couple of s-bends on the way out of the town where i live and it goes into a right hand 90 degree turn straight then into a 90 degree left (reversed if coming the other way) then up hill but coming down is better :)

used to take both bends at 50mph and i've beaten a lot of so called fast cars on them bends!

MR2 turbo is great, not as tight on the bends, a good 5-10mph slower on some bends compared to my MK1 but you make it up easily on the straights and can brake a hell of a lot later in the MK2 as it has far better brakes than my AW11 :)

Return to “Driving Experiences”