Mallory park

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great driving
73%
Just having a laugh
27%
Stupid
No votes
So idiotic I want to hit you with a big stick
No votes

Total votes: 15

Speedy

Mallory park

Post by Speedy »

Took the rusty beast to Mallory for a damm good thrashing at the weekend (thanks to Lauren 'n BaT).

Bit crummy in the morning, thanks to long queues of traffic, and morons not letting people past - like Nobles cruising around the corners and putting their foot down on the straights. In the afternoon once a few people had given up, was much better - even heavy downpours couldn't slow us down.

Even with 20 y/o suspension on our car, you could drive up behind people through the first corner (which is very long, flat right-hander) - certainly a race prepped Nova and a Pug205, were out-handled, and a VX220 and other faster machinery were out-driven :)

Bit of a shame that the Evo / WRX driving people are pointlessly aggressive, spoiled it a bit for everybody - WRX attempted a very dangerous move on us into the elbow, without us indicating, some of the worst driving I've seen on a BaT day.

There was also a very clean mk1 (white, F reg?) there on the day, didn't get the chance to speak to the driver, but they seemed to be going pretty well - mk1s rule in the wet :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Mallory park

Post by Lauren »

Glad you enjoyed it Alex. :) Good to catch up with you and Anna.

I don't know why but Scooby and Evo drivers nearly always seem to demonstrate poor driving skills. They just always do the straightline junkie stuff. Why you'd go to a circuit and do that who knows, but the theory is that they buy mega powerful cars in order to make up for inadequacies in other areas.. ;)
Raf

Post by Raf »

Im not generalising but mostly Scooby & Evo drivers are not all that good. the car does alot of the stuff for them to keep them on track/road. i'll give you a classic example, a guy on our street bought one of those Sti type things- fastest car he has had!

no word of a lie this is what he asked me a few weeks after he had had it:

"I reversed at full speed, rammed it in first, put my foot down and the wheels didnt spin- all i could smell was the clutch burning"

now is he thick or what! :twisted:

With Scooby's especially- cheap car for the power you get so i definatley reckon thats the next Chav choice of transport!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Raf wrote:Im not generalising but mostly Scooby & Evo drivers are not all that good. the car does alot of the stuff for them to keep them on track/road. i'll give you a classic example, a guy on our street bought one of those Sti type things- fastest car he has had!

no word of a lie this is what he asked me a few weeks after he had had it:

"I reversed at full speed, rammed it in first, put my foot down and the wheels didnt spin- all i could smell was the clutch burning"

now is he thick or what! :twisted:

With Scooby's especially- cheap car for the power you get so i definatley reckon thats the next Chav choice of transport!

You don't need to tell me, i work for a trackday company so i see it time after time...... Yep the car does it all for you, so makes you look like a driving god. ;)
Rhys-

Post by Rhys- »

Scoobies round here are more common than Nova's and I live in Essex! And yep 90% of them are driven by 20 year old chav's and the other 10% seem to be men in their mid 30's. Seeing them with crazy stickers and all sorts of tat over them just makes me want to cry :cry:

And yep, not to generalise but I do find scooby drivers (cant say about Evo's) more agressive. Still nice to wipe that smile off their faces eh? :lol:
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Before this turns into a full on WRX/Evo bashing thread, there was plenty of poor driving from Noble drivers, as well as a stripped out mk1 golf racing a race prepped bora, which tried to run me off the road at the hairpin - I only singled them out because there were more of them behaving badly.

Back to the point - I brought with me somebody who works with Nobles on a day-to-day basis, and they were pretty impressed with our rattly rust machine - go mk1 :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Speedy wrote:Before this turns into a full on WRX/Evo bashing thread, there was plenty of poor driving from Noble drivers, as well as a stripped out mk1 golf racing a race prepped bora, which tried to run me off the road at the hairpin - I only singled them out because there were more of them behaving badly.

Back to the point - I brought with me somebody who works with Nobles on a day-to-day basis, and they were pretty impressed with our rattly rust machine - go mk1 :D

Can't wait till i get my geo sorted and get my car to lose its track virginity... should be stonking. :)
jonno

Post by jonno »

Why wasnt I invited!! I drive past Malllory every day on my way to work!. Dont like the circuit to be honest, too dull and no runoff - but any excuse :)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

jonno wrote:Why wasnt I invited!! I drive past Malllory every day on my way to work!. Dont like the circuit to be honest, too dull and no runoff - but any excuse :)

It wasn't really a planned meet, it was more of a case of Alex and Anna fancying a day at Mallory and i happenned to be working.

I'm at Donny this Saturday. Working though,not driving. :(

I may get out at angersea at the end of the month, though i'll have to see if i can get my geo sorted by then.

I'll let you know next time.
vashy

Post by vashy »

Speedy wrote:Even with 20 y/o suspension on our car, you could drive up behind people through the first corner (which is very long, flat right-hander) - certainly a race prepped Nova and a Pug205, were out-handled, and a VX220 and other faster machinery were out-driven :)

(((: nice one mate!

You always seem to have the most fun for the least amount of money spent on your car! (:
anna

Post by anna »

vashy wrote:
You always seem to have the most fun for the least amount of money spent on your car! (:

yeah - it is the rust bucket of fun :) - planning to run it into the ground on track days until it's mot runs out in Nov... and then we'll see if it passes....

jonno wrote:
Dont like the circuit to be honest, too dull and no runoff - but any excuse

It is fairly dull in the mk1, as it's only really 3 corners! but I did get to practice heel and toeing (sort of got the hang of it - but missed a few times :oops: ) and trying to slide the car round the hairpin in the wet :D

Oh - and i'd like to point out that I didn't end up in the gravel this time :)
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Dunno about that, I did go a bit crazy and change the plugs and airfilter before Mallory, and it's had an oil change now...

I might even change the pads one of these days..
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

Speedy wrote:Bit crummy in the morning, thanks to long queues of traffic, and morons not letting people past - like Nobles cruising around the corners and putting their foot down on the straights.

:evil: I can't stand that. If such numpties don't pull over I just hang back to make room in front of me so you can have some fun....until you catch up again anyway #-o

Speedy wrote:Bit of a shame that the Evo / WRX driving people are pointlessly aggressive

:-"
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

I can't stand that. If such numpties don't pull over I just hang back to make room in front of me so you can have some fun....until you catch up again anyway
- I would normally as well, but then (in a mk1 anyway), you end up having to let more people past you, and you go backwards in the queue. We ended up just trailing around in a big snake - at least it makes it more obvious to the pit lane BaT person as to who is holding everybody else up.

One of the Evos flashed me on the entrance to the esses - I wasn't holding him up at that point, he was still far enough behind me... and you can't overtake through there.. muppet.
vashy

Post by vashy »

anna wrote:Oh - and i'd like to point out that I didn't end up in the gravel this time :)

As if I would mention that!

anna wrote:yeah - it is the rust bucket of fun :) - planning to run it into the ground on track days until it's mot runs out in Nov...

what, you mean, into the gravel traps?

:P :twisted: :wink: John
anna

Post by anna »

doh - walked in to that one!!!!! #-o

Return to “Driving Experiences”