U dont have to hammer the mr2 tubby to enjoy

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fast or take it easy

Fast
38%
Cruise and chill
62%

Total votes: 42

markmilward

U dont have to hammer the mr2 tubby to enjoy

Post by markmilward »

dont no what u guys think but i have only had mine for a short while, and i personally like to take it easy in mine but its so nice to no u have that sort of power if u do want some fun, had a mitsu fto gpx b4, really liked it but no where near as much as this!!!!!!!
Sidewinder

Re: U dont have to hammer the mr2 tubby to enjoy

Post by Sidewinder »

Yep - totally agree with you. My tubby is great fun to drive, even if it's as uncomfortable as riding a drunken camel on a hot beach, and you don't have to thrash the nuts off er...'her' to get maximum grin factor. :D
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by Azz »

Yup I agree, I used to thrash mine ALL the time if I saw a old guy on a bike as far as I was concerned that was a race, after crashing it I fell the best way to drive mine is set off from the lights a little sharp-ish to feel the pull of the engine then drive every ware at 25Mph with the exhaust rumbling, looks so much better than a car doing 150mph past you,
DeusMR2

Post by DeusMR2 »

Azz wrote:I fell the best way to drive mine is set off from the lights a little sharp-ish to feel the pull of the engine then drive every ware at 25Mph with the exhaust rumbling, looks so much better than a car doing 150mph past you,

bang on! 8)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

far enough you dont have to gun it to enjoy the car, but i guarantte putting your foot down gives you more of a buzz (hense enjoyment) than just travelling along with the oaps in there ford focus.

this thread is just to prove a point that you dont need to race the car to enjoy it, yes i agree to some degree, but planting my foot and rolling up to full boost is rather more exciting than sticking in the highest gear possible at the lowest speed.

just my 2p.

no1 bought these cars "just" for the looks surely, i cant believe this, "especially" when getting a tubby!

still though, i have no probs cruizing round town with the t-bar off, thats a place where you shouldnt be planting your foot.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Azz wrote:Yup I agree, I used to thrash mine ALL the time if I saw a old guy on a bike as far as I was concerned that was a race, after crashing it I fell the best way to drive mine is set off from the lights a little sharp-ish to feel the pull of the engine then drive every ware at 25Mph with the exhaust rumbling, looks so much better than a car doing 150mph past you,

25mph? Grrrr!
nikaso

Post by nikaso »

Lauren wrote:
Azz wrote:Yup I agree, I used to thrash mine ALL the time if I saw a old guy on a bike as far as I was concerned that was a race, after crashing it I fell the best way to drive mine is set off from the lights a little sharp-ish to feel the pull of the engine then drive every ware at 25Mph with the exhaust rumbling, looks so much better than a car doing 150mph past you,

25mph? Grrrr!

Too fast for you Lauren? :P
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

nikaso wrote:
Lauren wrote:

25mph? Grrrr!

Not fast enough! I have to say some joey driving at 25mph with their wikkied exhaust would not erm endear themselves to me.
shafster

Post by shafster »

true, for the most part i put my foot down until i get to about just over 30mph, then i keep at around that speed. but the fun is puttting your foot down and feeling the hard push into your seat and hearing a loud dump on lift off :D

i never rag the nutts off the car as the power drops off at around 6k, no point redlining it if there's no power there. i think new owners dont realise this until after a while though :(
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

shafster wrote:hard push into your seat and hearing a loud dump on lift off :D

There's too many jokes there and I'm too lazy to choose the best one.
Raf

Post by Raf »

Aidy wrote:
shafster wrote:hard push into your seat and hearing a loud dump on lift off :D

There's too many jokes there and I'm too lazy to choose the best one.

:lol: :lol: :lol: =D>
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

shafster wrote:true, for the most part i put my foot down until i get to about just over 30mph, then i keep at around that speed. but the fun is puttting your foot down and feeling the hard push into your seat and hearing a loud dump on lift off :D

i never rag the nutts off the car as the power drops off at around 6k, no point redlining it if there's no power there. i think new owners dont realise this until after a while though :(

(hope you charmed down at bit with me dude, lol).

how come you dont have your TRD as your lil signiture?

regarding post, im the same with traffic lights, i like to blast away if theres someone there or not, once at legal speed, you stop.
redlining is bad, mine tails off at around 6k rpm, id never go beyond this as it probably doesnt do the engine much good, plus no power as shaf has said!
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

I'm in agreement with above... I don't tend to speed much I might go 10 mph over the speed limit away from the lights but i'm usually back down to the speed limit pretty quick...

Accelerating down quiet motorway sliproads is one of my favourites... 30 - 70 brum brum
nikaso

Post by nikaso »

having a drive in the country is the best, sunny day and twisty roads!
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

whats the power like to a Nissan Pulsar?
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

How long is a piece of string? Depends on the mods - as either a Pulsar or an MR2 will almost certainly have had something done! I believe std power on the Pulsar was 227 bhp though.

Interesting read this one - my own car's used purely as a weekend toy these days and personally I feel it's completely wasted on tootling around - there's far more comfortable ways to do that! I tend to drive on the same roads I've been using for around 17 years which are lightly policed/camera'd and I do make a point of using as much of the performance as I can! \:D/

I really do have trouble believing people keep below the limit in these cars as it's just so effortless to go FAR beyond. :shock: If you want the look just get an N/A as most people can't tell any different!

Whatever works for you though... :wink:
EarL

Post by EarL »

Imported Pulsars are lighter than the UK Sunny, but both produce 220 at the fly. They're quick little motors make no mistake, but thier 4WD transmission saps around 25% (maybe more?).

Your tubby should be able to see it off without too much drama. :wink:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
foxdie

Post by foxdie »

whats the point buy and sub 6 second car to 60, spending tonns getting the performance unique, seeing the speedo fly throught its figures...

...and then spend you life toddling around at 25mph everywhere? your in the wrong car, get yourself a volvo or something because these cars were built to go fast, and thats exactly what intended to do when i bought mine!
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

Its COOLER to cruise it, i will be enjoying just a gentle drive...just enough pace but not having to slow down on the sharp turns, and you can put money on it that there will be some gimp in a shed on wheels who comes right up your ar$e (usually on weekends :wink: ) and then its time to give it a bit more. Id say once a week i push the n/a , when i get my turbo im sure i will be a little bit more throttle happy to start with. Cant wait !!!! :D
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

Lauren wrote:
nikaso wrote:
Lauren wrote:

25mph? Grrrr!

Not fast enough! I have to say some joey driving at 25mph with their wikkied exhaust would not erm endear themselves to me.

Agreed, if you're mentally so badly scarred after the crash that you can only feel safe at 25mph then I seriously suggest you get some more tuition or take a break from driving.
Dawdlers/over-cautiousness are just as dangerous (possibly more-so) as people mildly speeding.

every ware at 25Mph with the exhaust rumbling, looks so much better than a car doing 150mph past you

What has "looks" got to do with anything?! I couldn't give a toss how my car "looks" in relation to my speed! If you're basing the speed of your vehicle on looks then you really need to take a step back!
I'd rather get from point A to point B being fully aware of my surroundings & keeping with the flow of the traffic.
Sure, I occasionally press the 'loud' pedal harder than usual, but only if circumstance dictates it's safe to do so. Just claiming to drive everywhere at 25mph makes you sound fairly dangerous!

Return to “Driving Experiences”