[Mk2] [Generic] Stock sub set-up help please

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ravelloracing

[Mk2] [Generic] Stock sub set-up help please

Post by ravelloracing »

Ive recently bought a 1993 G-ltd.
The two storage boxes behind seats are empty,one has a plastic liner,the other is material,with a stiffer lid that clicks into position.
Does this mean it had factory sub at some time? (there is no grill though,it's all solid panels)
There is no wiring in there either.
Is the factory sub a viable and easy fit,as I have access to one for free with upgrade speaker in it,or am I creating more work than necessary.
The speakers all appear to have been updated,but it needs a little bit of a lift (I'm not after thumping bass or anything like that,just a little boost)
My other option is a small underseat sub,but would prefer if it was just in the storage box.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
stuMR2lee

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Stock sub set-up help please

Post by stuMR2lee »

I fitted one of these in the box (the one with no liner) behind the passenger seat and then cut out the pre-marked holes in the carpet and fitted a standard front grill: http://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/powe ... 5/swd-1600

Gives a nice bit of bass but nothing too mad.

Drivers side I have a plastic box in. Some cars came with no subs, 1 sub, or 2 subs. If you fit a standard sub you've got the hassle of needing the active sound system amps and wiring. A separate sub is far easier.
ravelloracing

Post by ravelloracing »

Thanks for advice.
So I guess I'll source a suitable self powered flat sub.
Is this normal for the passenger box to not be plastic lined? And will a liner from drivers side come out and fit in passenger side to give the box a nicer finish if I can source one from a breaker?
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

I tried the plastic drivers side box in the passenger side, it didn't fit. Not seen a specific passenger one. Some cars did come with lockable boxes as well so you may get lucky.

Mine came with no plastic lining on the passenger side. Not sure if this is standard, or the sub had been removed, as my previous car had the 2 subs premium active system.
Nic

Post by Nic »

This is my setup, 4 x 7" Rockford Fosgate subs mounted on MDF board behind the seats.

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
ravelloracing

Post by ravelloracing »

Nice job Nic - that's looks like it could have been stock. Very neat

Return to “ICE and Security”