Fell off the road *now with video*

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

JohnnyC

Fell off the road *now with video*

Post by JohnnyC »

As title really.

Despite me having a go at other MR2 owners for spinning their cars on wet roundabouts, I did the same - never even came close in 7 years of MR2 ownership, until lastnight.

Not much to add really. Hit the kerb straight on, but with wheels not straight as I was still trying to correct it (hopelessly!!). Car still drives fine, no vibration or anything at any speed.
Everything looks straight underneath.
Just the steering wheel is very slightly off centre so will need to get alignment done.

And I'll be putting the new rear tyres that have been sat in my living room for two months on ASAP :D My tyre tread is low, but certainly well within legal limits, but I don't think lack of tread had anything to do with it anyway as despite the road being wet, there were no puddles or standing water.

I have it all on video too.
But am struggling to get it onto a computer as my Samsung DVD/HDD recorder's DVD drive has broke.

I think it must've been diesel, or black ice, or leaves :wink:

Video coming soon, hopefully to show you how easily it can happen.
But remember, you're an idiot if you spin your car on a roundabout :oops:

*edit, video now here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfrDRul7S38
Last edited by JohnnyC on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JayUK91

Re: Fell off the road *now with video*

Post by JayUK91 »

Woops! Unlucky dude...although, how come you have it on video??
Rubber Chicken

Post by Rubber Chicken »

Haha,class! I dont mean to laugh but everything seems well. Glad no major damage was caused to you or the car. And with regards to the video i'll be keeping a keen eye on the appearance :) Aslong as you're not delaying putting the video on yet to do some movie editing and place some appropriately placed diesel and oil filled leaves on top of some mysterious black ice,lol.

I've spun mine a couple of times to be honest when it was wet and icy in winter and it is easily done but not hit anything while doing it *touch wood*...yet! 8-[

Glad you're ok
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Re: Fell off the road

Post by Tiamat »

JohnnyC wrote:As title really.

Despite me having a go at other MR2 owners for spinning their cars on wet roundabouts, I did the same - never even came close in 7 years of MR2 ownership, until lastnight.

Not much to add really. Hit the kerb straight on, but with wheels not straight as I was still trying to correct it (hopelessly!!). Car still drives fine, no vibration or anything at any speed.
Everything looks straight underneath.
Just the steering wheel is very slightly off centre so will need to get alignment done.

And I'll be putting the new rear tyres that have been sat in my living room for two months on ASAP :D My tyre tread is low, but certainly well within legal limits, but I don't think lack of tread had anything to do with it anyway as despite the road being wet, there were no puddles or standing water.

I have it all on video too.
But am struggling to get it onto a computer as my Samsung DVD/HDD recorder's DVD drive has broke.

I think it must've been diesel, or black ice, or leaves :wink:

Video coming soon, hopefully to show you how easily it can happen.
But remember, you're an idiot if you spin your car on a roundabout :oops:

Let me guess, wet roundabout around 5 miles from home?

Its usually when you close to home that people spin, get relaxed, not pay quite enough attention and then overcook it on the throttle or the steering, easily done.

Did it with my tubby at 2am on a wet roundabout 5 miles or so from hime, was down to me not quite paying proper attention.

At least you ok, thats main think. and well if you going to put on new wheels then four wheel alignment was on the cards anyway, so really not cost more :thumleft:
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

Just another reason why I dont take my MR2 out in the wet :)
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

I was never scared of mine in the wet. I take mine out in the wet, snow, etc. Though last time in snow did have to abandon it as would nver have got up the hill.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

i drove mine once in the snow and it wasnt bad it made steady progress but if i was in a mundane shopping trolley it would have been easier.

plus i did a 360 on the brow of a hill on a cross junction that was scary.

mine rarely goes out in the rain if i can help it :D

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

JohnnyC wrote:

I had low but legal rear tread on my car on a freshly damp surface when I spun mine. It also didnt help that one of my wheels dipped into a massive drain cover. I wasnt even going fast.

Some tyres just have less grip when getting near the legal limit. I'm on my second set of tyres in the two years since that and havent had a problem because I changed the rears when they reached 3mm or so.

This year i'm seriously considering winter tyres if its gonna be a horible cold winter like the last two.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I'm the same... 3mm or just under and it's time for something that can move more water...
Glad you and your two are OK fella.

R
MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

JohnnyC wrote:I did the same - never even came close in 7 years of MR2 ownership, until lastnight.

This is why I would advise anybody to have a play in a safe, empty area. Two benefits, firstly you get a good idea of where the limits are and how to react when you overstep them and secondly the first time you lose the backend you have no experience of it so dont know what to do, best this is in a safe environment when it is expected, rather than when there are objects or cars you can hit

:)

Good to hear no damage done though, doubt there are many owners on here that havent lost it before.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

MrLuke wrote:
This is why I would advise anybody to have a play in a safe, empty area. Two benefits, firstly you get a good idea of where the limits are and how to react when you overstep them and secondly the first time you lose the backend you have no experience of it so dont know what to do, best this is in a safe environment when it is expected, rather than when there are objects or cars you can hit

Or better still get some instruction on a circuit/airfield/skidpan so you know how to handle the car when the rear does step out.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Lauren wrote:
Or better still get some instruction on a circuit/airfield/skidpan so you know how to handle the car when the rear does step out.

I realy want to do an airfield day with carlimits but i realy dont fancy killing my 2 month old contis along with the fee for the day at the moment.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Race Idiot wrote:
Lauren wrote:

I realy want to do an airfield day with carlimits but i realy dont fancy killing my 2 month old contis along with the fee for the day at the moment.

You are probably better off doing a trackday at a circuit where the tarmac won't muller your tyres as much.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Lauren wrote:
You are probably better off doing a trackday at a circuit where the tarmac won't muller your tyres as much.

Well its either bedford autodrome or brands, I wonder if either do driver training
greeny

Post by greeny »

Video or it never happened! :mrgreen:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Probably the best way to describe MR2 Turbo handling characteristics:

Grip grip grip grip grip SPIN HEDGE.

It seems to be one of those cars that fills you with confidence until it goes wrong, sadly when it goes wrong you're probably going too fast to get it back under control.

As for wet weather and ice etc, I think it's rubbish when people say they can't use their car. What they mean is THEY can't drive sensibly enough for the condtions. My old 300bhp tubby was fine in wet, ice and snow, because I used to drive around off boost and do the things you're supposed to do for the conditions.

Sadly some people seem to drive with their foot to the floor all the time then wonder why their car fails to be controlable.

Glad to hear you and your car is ok Jonny, as some one else asked though, why were you filming it? Was the fact the camera was rolling the reason you over cooked it?
craig

Post by craig »

matt_mr2t wrote:

Sadly some people seem to drive with their foot to the floor all the time then wonder why their car fails to be controlable.

Where ice is concerned, especially black ice (which you can't see!)at slow speeds, it doesn't take much to be caught out with all that weight over the back end for it to step out. I use my peugeot in ice/snowy conditions as it's simply easier to drive.

matt_mr2t wrote:

I really don't think that's true Matt. Why would people drive foot to the floor everywhere? :?

Glad you and the car are ok Johnny :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Race Idiot wrote:
Lauren wrote:

Well its either bedford autodrome or brands, I wonder if either do driver training

Both will do training. Book a track day then book an instructor and do a raind dance. :+:
MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

matt_mr2t wrote:As for wet weather and ice etc, I think it's rubbish when people say they can't use their car. What they mean is THEY can't drive sensibly enough for the condtions. My old 300bhp tubby was fine in wet, ice and snow, because I used to drive around off boost and do the things you're supposed to do for the conditions.

Am I the only one who could put the car into 1st and spin the wheels up without even touching the throttle when we had the ice at the start of the year? Meh must have been my driving...
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

I agree with Matt.

I use my car rain, snow and shine. Infact, the MR2 was fantastic in the snow. It was getting up hills where other cars were stuck. Never had any near misses or anything. It is all about driving to the conditions. I really do not know how anyone can spin their car on a roundabout unless there is a spillage on it or they are driving too fast.

TBH the best thing you can do is take your car on track. You very quickly find out how to drive the car and get used to it characteristics. You learn, in a safe-ish environment how the car behaves and learn just what it's limits are. To be perfectly frank, you should never be anywhere near your car's limit on a public road. 9 times out of 10 you will reach your own limit before the car's and it won't end nice.

Stay safe out there folks.

Return to “Driving Experiences”