Should I?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

excalibur1814

Should I?

Post by excalibur1814 »

For the GF...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2000-X-TOYOTA-MR2 ... 1c1a03db2f

'Started smoking' sounds fab
frogger

Re: Should I?

Post by frogger »

For an '00 smoker it's somewhere between £500 and £1000 overpriced.
Glass Half Full = A diy recon may resolve things before it gets beyond repair
Glass Half Empty = or it might need replacement sooner rather than later

Keep lookin I would. If you want a good 'un I'm sure you'll get one in that price range if you keep an eye out.
If you want a cheap smoker to fix up, pay less.
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

On the other hand the first one has got a TTE exhaust and rear spoiler and leather interior...but engine out fix is probably over £1K.

Possibly worth a £1500 offer?
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

http://www.ehow.com/how_2110646_replace ... ngine.html

Seems a bit scary and even after the engine has been out/fixed, the thing could go boom. I'm a bit iffy on engine out work since the Turbo days :/

Could a general garage do it without any fuss?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Rogue offer a service of replacing the bottom end with a short block from Toyota, worth a chat. :thumleft: The issue is well known in Roadsters so won't be scarey to fix.
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

Is this the issue with regards to the pre-cats etc. Had mine done from the get go. nah, not even going to consider an engine-out solution as it can open up far too many complications. Been there, failed, done that.

:(

Next.... (However, after the auction I might give the guy a call :wink: )
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: Word

Post by tonigmr2 »

excalibur1814 wrote:Next.... (However, after the auction I might give the guy a call :wink: )

:thumleft: £1-1.2K cash, take it or leave it!
frogger

Re: Word

Post by frogger »

excalibur1814 wrote:Is this the issue with regards to the pre-cats etc. Had mine done from the get go. nah, not even going to consider an engine-out solution as it can open up far too many complications. Been there, failed, done that.

:(

Next.... (However, after the auction I might give the guy a call :wink: )

It'll be an oval bore / oil loss issue yes, which often leads to bottom end failure when all runs dry and is also linked to premature precat failure.
Though don't be too taken by the precat issue, worth kknocking them out, but the issue is with oil loss / bores / control rings, not with precats.

The valve stem seal comment is most likely a red herring which detracts from the likely suspect of oval bores / failures in oil control.

To summarise, you will be looking to whip the block apart and recon the existing block urself, swap the engine out for a recon unit, or swap the engine out for a 2nd hand unit. Budget 1k + labour for either option.
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

Well, I asked if he'd go for a 1.2k ish figure and he replied,

"Good luck with that".

I tried....

Thanks all
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I think he'll have it up for sale for some time!
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

Is there a "How To Guide" for engine removal on the MK3?

The KB looks a bit empty to say the least!!
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

theres a mk3 on here with need of a new engine, black one, i know he doesnt want much for it

whack a V6 in there
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

Already been to look at it, picking it up next week. No v6 as its for the gf.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

V8 then :mrgreen:
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

:lol:
ayresyboy

Post by ayresyboy »

Dagnamit, I wanted that black Roadster to put my V6 in it. :cry:

That's the third one I've missed out on at a decent price!

If anyone else sees a mkIII shell going for under a grand, let me know plz...
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

A friend's Mk3 looks to have terminal oval bore syndrome - failed MOT on emissions, using lots of oil, what sounds to be bottom end nose about 5k rpm but otherwise OK.

How realistic is a DIY fix for someone with time and experience rebuilding Mk1 4A-GE's ?

I assume properly oval bores can't be realistically fixed ( eg rebore, oversize pistons ) and you're looking at a new short block.

Failing that, what about DIY engine swaps? A 2ZZ swap is tempting but I don't think he'd go for that - so any recommendations for good sources for 1zz used engines ?
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

There will be others chap. This one will need a lot more than just the engine and i'd wager that it will end up costing a fair bit to get it back to a good standard, it will need wheels, brakes and no doubt some suspension bits as its been spun and whacked a kerb a while ago.

As for diy repair on these, watch this space, but i have had it from a very knowledgable chap that dropping the engine on a mk3 is a lot more trickier than a mk1 or 2 without garage ramps but will see how that goes.

I would of thought that rogue would have an endless supply of 1zz engines but some of them may have the same problems with the pistons/bores.
Last edited by foxy-stoat on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

BenF wrote:A friend's Mk3 looks to have terminal oval bore syndrome - failed MOT on emissions, using lots of oil, what sounds to be bottom end nose about 5k rpm but otherwise OK.

How realistic is a DIY fix for someone with time and experience rebuilding Mk1 4A-GE's ?

I assume properly oval bores can't be realistically fixed ( eg rebore, oversize pistons ) and you're looking at a new short block.

Failing that, what about DIY engine swaps? A 2ZZ swap is tempting but I don't think he'd go for that - so any recommendations for good sources for 1zz used engines ?

Spot-on, you'd need a new short block at least, and that's assuming the precats were either gutted before the oval bores or are still 100%, else you could have more serious damage throughout the engine. Replacing the engine isn't actually too bad if you've got access to an engine lift and pit (and remember to disconnect the clutch cable, something I completely forgot to do last time I did it! :oops: ), it's just another engine after all.

I don't think there's a particularly good source for the 1ZZ so just give some local guys a call, and don't forget that if you use the one from the Avensis or Corolla you'll need to sort out the engine mount too, and I don't think that JDM engines have the oil warmer either. :)

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”