OMG Just Nearly Stacked It!

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Goldy

OMG Just Nearly Stacked It!

Post by Goldy »

Just got back from a drive down good old buxton road...

I've driven it and been driven down it many times before... But i've never managed to drive it in clear weather with dry roads.

Came round what was a fairly sharp right hander leading into a very sharp left hander.. My inexperience of the road and car really showed up here. I managed to get the car seriously understeering sideways into the left hander towards a dry stone wall. I slammed on the anchors and brought the car to a halt 30cm from the wall!! Needless to say I had cacked myself by that point.

Its the first time i've really reached the limit of the cars handling, and It was certainly not a good time or place to do it. I can't believe how close that was.... Buxton road needs respect, so does the mr2's handling... Driving like a granny for the next few weeks till my confidence recovers..

Looking forward to goin to elvington now to learn how to drive properly.....

Stay safe....

Simon
Paul R

Re: OMG Just Nearly Stacked It!

Post by Paul R »

Goldy wrote:Just got back from a drive down good old buxton road...

I've driven it and been driven down it many times before... But i've never managed to drive it in clear weather with dry roads.

Came round what was a fairly sharp right hander leading into a very sharp left hander.. My inexperience of the road and car really showed up here. I managed to get the car seriously understeering sideways into the left hander towards a dry stone wall. I slammed on the anchors and brought the car to a halt 30cm from the wall!! Needless to say I had cacked myself by that point.

Its the first time i've really reached the limit of the cars handling, and It was certainly not a good time or place to do it. I can't believe how close that was.... Buxton road needs respect, so does the mr2's handling... Driving like a granny for the next few weeks till my confidence recovers..

Looking forward to goin to elvington now to learn how to drive properly.....

Stay safe....

Simon

Hi,

Be carefull there mate....[vader breathing]Dont underestimate the power of the FE.. [/Vader breathing] :D:D

To be honest, I never got any understeer on any of my mr2's. always plenty of oversteer though........sure you didnt hit a patch of oil or something? Or were you just driving like a loon?? lol

Cheers,

Paul.
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

I'm not sure... what happended.. basically I came into the first corner too quickly and missjudged how sharp the 2nd was... I tend to find that with potenzas all round that I don't actually get any oversteer when pushing hard... The front end always seems to lose grip before.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Goldy wrote:I slammed on the anchors and brought the car to a halt 30cm from the wall!! Needless to say I had cacked myself by that point.

I'm not surprised! I think even those with the strongest colon would have had trouble controlling things here!

Your understeering comment about the Potenzas is interesting, though.
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

When you say Buxton road do you mean the Cat & Fiddle (A537) or were you talking about the A54?
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

I mean cat and fiddle road... The near miss was one of the early corners tho way before the actual pub
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Goldy wrote:I mean cat and fiddle road... The near miss was one of the early corners tho way before the actual pub

Oh I know where you mean, near the bottom, the first section where its pretty tight before the road opens up and gets out the woody bit.

MK1s and 2s do understeer it is a product of the geo layout. But excessive understeer or going straight on happens if you are braking whilst trying to turn or more likely in your case, you simply tried to carry too much speed into the corner and turned the wheels and the tyres couldn't cope.

On that same stretch i was going up one day in my SC and the rear end popped out pretty smartish (it was a bit damp) i collected it okay but can see how if you weren't used to it it could have been nasty.

The 'Cat' is a great road but you need to have a good knowledge of it to drive it quickly. Particularly so in the bottom section as there are some very tight bends there.
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Aye, it was deffo from carying too much speed into the corner.

whats the best way of getting out of that situation once you've reached understeer? on the brakes, or keep on the power?

I slammed on.. I think it was the right thing to do, but it put the car sideways.
craig

Post by craig »

Goldy wrote:Aye, it was deffo from carying too much speed into the corner.

whats the best way of getting out of that situation once you've reached understeer? on the brakes, or keep on the power?

I slammed on.. I think it was the right thing to do, but it put the car sideways.

Slamming on the brakes in not a good idea!!!! :shock:
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Well it was that or hit a wall?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Goldy wrote:Aye, it was deffo from carying too much speed into the corner.

If you've gone too fast into the corner your only option is to simply steer off the power and hope you can get round.

Its exactly the same for any understeer situation, just come off the power, don't touch the brakes and steer until the front end grips. On track and at speed if i get understeer on turn in then i will get off the throttle quickly to provoke lift off oversteer, then its simply a matter of balancing the car on the throttle once you get oversteer. You can't do this on the public road though.
Neal_MR2

Post by Neal_MR2 »

I suggest going to an industrial estate or somewhere with a large open area and just have a go at all sorts of turns etc. . push your car an learn the capabilitys of it.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Neal_MR2 wrote:I suggest going to an industrial estate

I did this a while back, and got thrown out by a gumpy security guard! I felt like a naughty teenager. :oops: :lol:
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by djdna2000 »

Neal_MR2 wrote:I suggest going to an industrial estate or somewhere with a large open area and just have a go at all sorts of turns etc. . push your car an learn the capabilitys of it.

hmm, I tried this the other day (new owner btw) in my AW11, was a bit wet/greasy. In 2nd I turned in hard and floored it (wasn't going too fast), understeered for england but I kept my foot in then it started oversteering, just managed to catch it :roll:

I think I need some lessons in how to drive a mid-engined rwd car.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

djdna2000 wrote:
Neal_MR2 wrote:I suggest going to an industrial estate or somewhere with a large open area and just have a go at all sorts of turns etc. . push your car an learn the capabilitys of it.

hmm, I tried this the other day (new owner btw) in my AW11, was a bit wet/greasy. In 2nd I turned in hard and floored it (wasn't going too fast), understeered for england but I kept my foot in then it started oversteering, just managed to catch it :roll:

I think I need some lessons in how to drive a mid-engined rwd car.

---->> IMOC Trackday at Elvington Airfield is what you need. perfect environment to push the limits of your car in safety. See the post at the top of the general section.
djdna2000

Post by djdna2000 »

Lauren wrote:
---->> IMOC Trackday at Elvington Airfield is what you need. perfect environment to push the limits of your car in safety. See the post at the top of the general section.

Hi Lauren

Yes, should have the car finished by then so I'll get signed up. I've done a bit of track stuff in the GT4, so I do vaguely know what I'm doing :) The car is going to be purely a track weapon anyway, full rollcage, proper suspension and big fat brakes etc. :twisted:

Return to “Driving Experiences”