MkII Dashboard Lights Warning Query - see photo

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Peter C

MkII Dashboard Lights Warning Query - see photo

Post by Peter C »

Could someone please tell me what these lights are trying to tell me?

Last time they came on the dashboard mounted voltmeter was going crazy - the needle was off the scale. I replaced the alternator as I presumed the problem was with the voltage regulator. Problem solved, or so I thought. For the last couple of days the lights reappear for a brief second (at completely random moments) but the voltmeter doesn't stray from the normal reading.

Any ideas?
Peter C

Lights

Post by Peter C »

I have emailed Toyota (Bath Road in West London) re this problem and they are totally unwilling to help (no surprise there).

I don't suppose anyone could point me in the right direction?
daveyboy

Re: MkII Dashboard Lights Warning Query - see photo

Post by daveyboy »

This is usually a sign that your alternator is on its way out

D
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

As above- i had these lights and the problem was my alternator.

Check your getting atleast 14v over the battery terminals with the engine running.

..DaveS
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Yup,

Sounds like alternator to me!

Paul.
Phil Dawson

Post by Phil Dawson »

I have a similar problem here are the key issues:

1: Dash lights all flash on intermittantly
2: Alternator is fine, yet it outputs nothing to the battery.
3: When engine bay fan is supposed to kick in, the warning light for it comes on and power is then outputted to the battery.

A ground problem would be most obvious i think, however I have connected jump leads to multiple solid earth points and the problem remains....

any ideas? Where should i look?
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Phil Dawson wrote:
2: Alternator is fine, yet it outputs nothing to the battery.

How do you know its fine?
If it doesn't charge the battery its probably faulty!

..DaveS
Phil Dawson

Post by Phil Dawson »

OK,

Its fine because it was bench tested before fitting to the car because ive just had an engine change done and it was worthwhile doing that before fitting (save the pain in the ar$e removal).

The fault named above is now resolved and the cause was the 7.5A IGN-IG fuse had blown.

Just because people get lights on the dash does not always mean an alternator fault, this particlar fault was caused because the ALT circuit was finding its earth via the BayFan ECU and Dash, hence the lights.

Also in POINT3, i stated clearly that when the FanCheck light came on the ALT was outputting...
gtech

Post by gtech »

Hey whats this suck light on the MR2.......is this an IMPORT thing......or is it a special american spec......thought they called it "monica" or something, either way it got the president in trouble so I would be very careful with that one Phil :-)
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
Phil Dawson

Post by Phil Dawson »

Ha Graeme, trust u to notice that!

I blame it on the pile of poo engine i bought of some rouge backstreet seller, he also sold me an exaust made of bean tins...tut :p

All sweet now actually, better than ever, even the gear change (used ur gearbox)
gtech

Post by gtech »

Keep telling you that darlo is full of Rogue's, bloody engines all over the place and roads full of boy racers....dont know what the place is coming to. Did you have any luck with them Struts :-)
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
Phil Dawson

Post by Phil Dawson »

Yep, ill pop over on Saturday :)

Return to “Electrical”