Lighting up the footwells

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

skytek

Lighting up the footwells

Post by skytek »

I was talking with a mate who wants to light up the footwells of his bmw with red and blue leds and I was wondering if any of you would know how to do it? I can get the led's and wire etc but I don't kow much about making up the circuit in terms of components. Would we need resitors etc? and if so, what type? Anyone done this or have any pointers? Any electrical whizz's out there?
philz

Re: Lighting up the footwells

Post by philz »

Something like this you mean?

Mine are just blue cold cathodes from Ebuyer.com Just take a feed from the light around the cigarette lighter and it's job done, dead easy :)
skytek

light!

Post by skytek »

Ah right, so no need for resistors or any other faffing about? Just wire them up in paralell directly connected to the light in the ciggy?

Do you just have one led per footwell or a few?
philz

Post by philz »

Just one cathode per footwell. http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=51686

It's a dual cathode kit, even easier to wire up (2 wires basically)
skytek

lights

Post by skytek »

Thanks mate! I found the same thing but half lights up red and half lights up blue - exactly what I wanted! And so cheap!! Although shipping is £15 to N.Ireland! :thumbdown:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Wire them to the dome light and they'll turn on when you open the door if thats what you want.

I've got blue bolt leds in the bottom of my doors so when they're open they shine blue light onto the ground. 8)
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Skywalker wrote:
I've got blue bolt leds in the bottom of my doors so when they're open they shine blue light onto the ground. 8)

BLING!
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

:thumright:

I'll have to get a photobucket thing sorted out so I can post some pics. They really are pretty cool! lol 8)
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Skywalker wrote::thumright:

I'll have to get a photobucket thing sorted out so I can post some pics. They really are pretty cool! lol 8)

Use http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/album.php
skytek

lights

Post by skytek »

Only got round to doing this now! Anyone know what colour wires I'm loking for to power them and how to access them?
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

i joined mine at the passenger foot well where the loom goes to the door. .... i think it was a red an a red & white wires but with my memory beening what it is don't take this as gospel :-#
450wbhp comming soon
skytek

light

Post by skytek »

Thanks mate, I ended up wiring it to the ciggy lighter light, as it was easiest to do. I incorporated a hidden on/off switch just in case it starts to annoy me as they will be always on when the lights are on.
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

Mine only come on when the doors open i.e. the courtesy lights
450wbhp comming soon
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

philz wrote:Just one cathode per footwell. http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=51686

It's a dual cathode kit, even easier to wire up (2 wires basically)

hey dude, how cheaper are these!!!!
bloody hell, halfords charge £15 for a similar product!

may get myself a set!
got blue everything else, lol.
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

I know, i got two 12" in thefoot wells an two 4" behind the seats an with wire an connections was less than £15 :lol:
450wbhp comming soon
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

redeye32uk wrote:I know, i got two 12" in thefoot wells an two 4" behind the seats an with wire an connections was less than £15 :lol:

what you do with the 4inch ones????? (pics???)
are they bright mate??? as it sihines up well as you got the metal mats, what do you reckon theyll be like on a normal mat???
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

Hi, they don't give off to much light but just enough to give a blueish glow when you open the doors at night. In day light you can hardly see 'em.
I've put the two 4" ones each side of the console that rises between the seats but low down, i'll try an get some pics over the weekend.
Dave
450wbhp comming soon
chriminator100

Post by chriminator100 »

im soon to be fitting blue 1w luxeon stars into my footwells. theyre classed as led's but are extremely brighter and you only need one per footwell to give you good illumination. have a look for them..theyre definately worth it.

Return to “Electrical”