mr2 vs

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

the poll that gets put at the beginning of a versus post, will it actually stop you driving your car hard

yeah, because i'm scared of what people think of me
9%
no way, i don't care what people think
9%
don't care. some people just love to whinge so i'll let them do it
59%
what poll?
23%

Total votes: 22

ryan

Re: mr2 vs

Post by ryan »

Lauren wrote:
ryan wrote:I've never seen so much rubbish written.
:oops:

Do any of you really think that the 'vs' section encourages street racing?
I really can't see why any sort of sensoring on IMOC would make our highways safer.
At the end of the day, if you don't like this section, don't read it!I accept moderators have a job to do, but over zealous sensorship? :? :?
:roll:

I think you may have missed the point. The section title was changed from 'Vs' to Driving Experienes for the very reason of not encouraging people to post about street racing. Of course i do not think that reading a post will start somebody off street racing. The obvious issues are:

New users and those that browse the forums may not be left with a good impression of IMOC and may think that we condone illegal street racing. Obviously we do not condone it and neither do we as a club want to portray the image that this kind of behaviour is acceptable. Yes of course there will be those that haven't grown up yet and drive irresponsibly whether there is a 'Vs' section or not, but really we don't want this kind of thing on the IMOC forum as we are trying to promote a club that in our eyes is about and for MR2 fanatics that we hope are responsible and want to be taken seriously with their interest in the car.

I can see your point about giving the right impression to visitors and new members of the site Lauren. However I think IMOC/you may have missed the point in changing the sections name from 'vs' to 'driving experiences'.
The fact of the matter is that people will still post 'vs' stories involving high speeds on public roads.
I agree that the latter is a more appropriate tltle than the 'vs' one though.
If this section was moderated to only include trackday/drag 'vs' , then it may be more relevant, but I think you and the odd Pod phile may be the only ones posting here :? :-k
Regards
Ryan
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Just get rid of the pathetic boy racer "versus" posts.
It devalues the car. The MR2 Mk1 or Mk2 or Mk3 is a fine car, stop turning it into a Chav mobile!
Yes I thrash my MR2 Mk1 SC around the roads of Derbyshire, but if a faster car comes up behind me (and there are plenty of them) I simply slow down, indicate and let them through....
senie

Post by senie »

how would getting rid of this section devalue the car???

Lets be honest, i dont think these posts really devalue the car.

People are not going to look on IMOC see these posts and then think "ooh, i will offer 2 thousand less now". They may for that particular car, but not the '2 in general.

I dont think the MR2 turbo is becoming a chav car. how many youngsters can afford/are able to get the insurance. A few of us do/did pay stupid premiums but most arent chavs. Or are you defining chav as someone you dont like, rather than a townie wearing burberry with fake gold jewellery and a girlfriend wearing so much make up she has to shop at boots daily? Far too many definitions of chav these days.

How do you know its a faster car until you ve tried it once? (with obvious exceptions, eg 911/gallardo etc)
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Geoff Munt wrote:
ENSMR2 wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if the speeds mentioned where actually done. Sometimes I read a thread and think thats probably and exaggeration. Anything over 100 in an MK2 MR2 anyway is pretty scary. The front end gets proper light. There have been a number of posts on how to take care of that problem. Either these people posting those stupid speeds don't care, or they are exaggerating.

Whilst I agree with much of what you write, looking at your profile you seem to have put together a lot of tuning gear for someone who finds their car scary above 100 mph :? . Personally I got over this issue after about a month of having the car and I'm sure there are loads of others who don't find it too troubling either. No offence meant though mate.

I do agree with the comments re the road surfaces most wholeheartedly though, there are several stretches I know which are great up to a certain speed...add another 30mph and it can get pretty scary if you're not expecting it. And personally I really try never to push my luck on an unfamiliar piece of road!!

Hi I did reply to this but the PC crashed so it hasn't appeared. Basically:

No offence taken mate. Re the 100+ sppeds getting scary. I meant to add that to the factors that could upset a 2 and send it into spin/crash. Add it to factors already mentioned in road layouts etc. Bare in mind I'm getting used to the traits of the 2, after it being off road for 6 months, all over again. I've only been driving it a week.

Re my tuning gear. I don't intend on doing 100mph on public roads. My sole purpose for the mods I'm going for is lots of low end grunt for max acceleration. I'll be taking it to the odd drag event and to track days. On the roads I'll just be able to hit the speed limit quicker. I also have plans to sort out the light front end characteristics.

Cheers,

N
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Sorry Senie, didn't really mean chav car. It's just I associated racing on the public roads with chavs, because a lot of them do it.

All the MR2's are great (but quite different) cars, but if people see them street racing they will get a bad reputation.

senie wrote:
How do you know its a faster car until you ve tried it once? (with obvious exceptions, eg 911/gallardo etc)

In a straight line it's simple. My car only has 145bhp and weighs over a tonne. It's simple mathemetics.

Around the corners I drive enthusiastically but not ridiculously (on the road that is).

Also it probably helps that I had a near miss many years ago (to help me learn my lesson). Travelling from Sheffield to Oulton very early on a Saturday morning I was overtaken by a much faster car on a straight. He wasn't impressed with me catching him through the twisties. Trying to get away from me he lost the back end and it nearly ended up in a colossal accident, which I would have become involved with. After that I realised, THIS JUST ISN'T WORTH IT - NEVER AGAIN.

(Anyway this is probably just because I am getting older and wiser).

Racing on the roads is fun but very dangerous. Driving on a trackday is great fun and a lot safer.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

ryan wrote:
I can see your point about giving the right impression to visitors and new members of the site Lauren. However I think IMOC/you may have missed the point in changing the sections name from 'vs' to 'driving experiences'.
The fact of the matter is that people will still post 'vs' stories involving high speeds on public roads.
I agree that the latter is a more appropriate tltle than the 'vs' one though.
If this section was moderated to only include trackday/drag 'vs' , then it may be more relevant, but I think you and the odd Pod phile may be the only ones posting here :? :-k
Regards
Ryan

I think we can still have posts about people that have found good driving roads and/or road trips etc.

Return to “Driving Experiences”