FAO: Samboy. The demise of HD-DVD

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

oukie
IMOC Organiser

Re: FAO: Samboy. The demise of HD-DVD

Post by oukie »

My sony dvd recorder upscales aswell i use this to watch dvd's and the ps3 to play games/watch bluray
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I was contemplating buying a surround sound set up with an HDMI lead on it but some one has now given me one for free so not fussed now.
pcp

Post by pcp »

un1eash wrote:HD and bluray aint all that anyway, you can easily live with a SD dvd player as your HD LCD/Plasma will upscale the image. If you've got a screen smaller then 37" HD is pointless really as i doult you'll notice much difference considering the costs of HD and bluray.

This is coming from someone who has both and although HD-DVDs/Bluray do look great the cost of the dvds is still to high. I was looking at a combi player or bluray player and they started at £600, so i brought a PS3 40GB and a Toshiba Ep30 (with 7 hd-dvds) for £200. I didnt want to use the ps3 as a dvd player.

Now though i'm thinking should i be upgrading my amp so i can get dolby trueHD and DTS-HD audio.

i got the sony 910 amp/receiver and am loving it, entry levelish but you can hook up 6 hd imputs and it does 7.1 so it's a massive upgrade for most people who just use their tvs to produce sound :thumleft:
pcp

Post by pcp »

Lauren wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:I've not seen a proper upscaled image. Apparently the 360 only does it when you use a VGA lead what ever that is.

the PS3 uses HDMI. It is an excellent upscaler.

same as the 360 does :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Only the elite uses HDMI, the original unit uses component or vga.
pcp

Post by pcp »

matt_mr2t wrote:Only the elite uses HDMI, the original unit uses component or vga.

not any more, or indeed from last year

Return to “Games Consoles”